BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Smile Have you Marred or Blemmished your M3/M4??

Having this car is one of the most awesome purchases I have ever made.

I damaged it within two days of owning it by pulling into the garage for the 2nd time and tapping my oldest motorcycle. I cringed, but glad I was the one who did it. Several months later I had my mountain bike under the car port and when I pulled in, I thought there was enough room, but there was not and touched it with the mirror, causing the bike to fall which then scratched the mirror, rear door and rear quarter panel, I cringed and was pissed at myself for being stupid enough to leave the bike out and then for trying to get past it without paying enough attention. I then damaged the front left lower bumper by pulling into a sloped parking spot and driving just over the curb. Funny part about that was: it was at work, and I swore I would never drive my ///M to work, but had to pop in to get something I forgot, during some extended time off.

I thought I would be freaked out if anything occurred to the car, but since it was primarily self induced I came to realize the most important thing, it's just a car, an F'n awesome car, but a car none the less. I am pretty sure I will not react the same way if someone else damages my car, but if the damage does not change the way the car drives, I hope to try and treat it the same way I have with my own foibles of cosmetically damaging the car.

The damage is extremely difficult to see in each of these instances, if you are not me, so I decided to leave as is for a gentile reminder to myself.

Have you marred your otherwise beautiful F80, F82 or F83? How did you do it? How did you feel about it? What did you do to fix the damage? How has it changed your perspective?
Xtabi1712.50
RJCrew51.00
      06-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I'm one of those perfectionists freaks that absolutely have to have all my vehicles (cars and motorcycles) in perfect condition. However, it usually works against me. The more I am careful, the more things seems to happen. I usually sell a car within a year so that nothing major could happen. Luckily for me, anyone who sees any of my vehicles for sale can see how OCD I was about it!

On my wife's new Volvo XC90 -- an 80K purchase mind you. She had a rock fling off her hood and into the windshield causing a minor chip on both hood and windshield a few months into ownership. That absolutely killed me. Worse is that I couldn't keep it from happening.

I tried to tell myself it's only a car, and that nothing is perfect. But I see it every time I drive the car, so I just stopped driving it.

My point is - you can tell yourself all you want that 'it's just a car' but if you have an OCD personality, you really just can't turn it off.

On my M3, I bought used because i've learned my lesson that if I buy a new car, i'll be too critical of it and waaay too careful. If I knowingly buy a used one, I'll know that it was never perfect to begin with and any dent/scratches I know was already there. That's my justification anyways.

BTW, i'm also one of those guys that have the ability to see flaws that no one else seems to notice. I've been the guy people get to go look at used cars/bikes. On the volvo I mentioned above, when we took delivery, I found 2 flaws immediately, but didn't bother to have the dealer fix it since they may make things worse.
Appreciate 2
jzmundy991.00
Arcades8214.50
      06-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Yes, I've dinged the trunk when I backed into my lawnmower (yes, backup camera likely would have saved me), and I've also scuffed the fender on the garage door weather strip while pulling into my garage when it was icy. And others too. It sucks but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I'm just getting chips on the rear fenders. Kind of wish I would have done the full xpel back there but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
Have you marred your otherwise beautiful F80, F82 or F83? How did you do it? How did you feel about it? What did you do to fix the damage? How has it changed your perspective?
None of this is super-interesting but:

(a.) Two hours after I picked up my car from the Welt on the freeway to Switzerland, I was in the left lane and dude in front one lane to the right put on his left blinker, moved into my lane, and then kept going right into the divider wall. It threw up a shit ton of rocks and one big one skipped off my factory fresh individual paint on the hood and then took off some clear coat on the roof. They kinda "fixed" it on redelivery but I can still see where it is.

(b.) Then once I was pulling into a far away parking ramp spot to avoid dings and scraped the wheel

(c.) Then once I was in a major downtown and, for various reasons had to do a fast u-turn and judged everything right, except there was a hump on part of the curb I didn't see and it scraped up the underside of the front fender.

Also I have 3 major dings in the windshield

I haven't done anything about any of them as I'm turning in the car in 6 months - don't tell the lease inspector.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Scrape under front, thankfully I'm the only one that's knows of it's existence...Still bugs me.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Yup. This is what it looked like right after I scraped a curb. It was better after I removed all the curb dirt.

I plan on repainting the area myself over the next week or so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
jschweiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

I have some really bad curb rash on one of my wheels, but I was able to get it repaired where you can't tell unless you really look. My car is unblemished so far (knock on wood)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

I had a sealed drink explode in my hands while I was shaking it to mix up the ingredients lol. Watched it all drip down from my headliner onto my interior and center console assembly. It was quite pleasant. Best believe I was raging pissed off but did a great job cleaning it up.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Take it to the track. Blemish it while you're having fun and doing what the car was made for.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 1
wigaster234.50
      06-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
None of this is super-interesting but:

(a.) Two hours after I picked up my car from the Welt on the freeway to Switzerland, I was in the left lane and dude in front one lane to the right put on his left blinker, moved into my lane, and then kept going right into the divider wall. It threw up a shit ton of rocks and one big one skipped off my factory fresh individual paint on the hood and then took off some clear coat on the roof. They kinda "fixed" it on redelivery but I can still see where it is.

(b.) Then once I was pulling into a far away parking ramp spot to avoid dings and scraped the wheel

(c.) Then once I was in a major downtown and, for various reasons had to do a fast u-turn and judged everything right, except there was a hump on part of the curb I didn't see and it scraped up the underside of the front fender.

Also I have 3 major dings in the windshield

I haven't done anything about any of them as I'm turning in the car in 6 months - don't tell the lease inspector.
Ditto on (b), resulted in more self shame than anything else.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18198.00
duky1316.50
      06-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Perhaps this maybe different story but past two years, I literally Garage Queen-ed my M4 with hand-wash weekly, pristine clean , just staring at it gave me so much joy of owning M (my very first M) .
And I remember how much it hurted me when I curved one of the wheel. I couldn't sleep for days trying to figure how to recover back to original searching for top notch wheel restore shop in the area, took me a while before I finally got over it.
Fast foward, I sold my M4 other day, due to realization that car's just sitting in garage, hardly driven (2 year with less than 7k ) worrying more that car may lose it's brand "NEW" look ... just drainning my wallet each month.
One thing I truely regret since selling car is that , after all car is just a car .. althought I have many many respect for M , this isn't some super exotic car where it may lose it's value with every miles you drive. I regret so much that I wasn't able to fully enjoy the full throttle of which M is meant to driven.

so my two cents is that take the damage as "Glory- Scar" and enjoy the shit out of M ~!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
kumori04
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sedan

Besides the typical curb scraping under the front bumper, I actually got my rear bumper tapped while on ED in Italy. No deformation, but enough of a hit to rip the paint off. At first, I was upset that BMW wouldn't repair it at the port, but eventually decided it was a great little souvenir of our trip. So when I eventually got Xpel on the car, I asked the guy to wrap the bumper deck, as well, to preserve the little guy.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #14
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Scrape under front, thankfully I'm the only one that's knows of it's existence...Still bugs me.
I've done that to mine too. I scraped in on a parking block at a shopping center a couple of weeks after I got my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #15
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I've got my car fully Xpeled. I had no damage except for some very minor curb rash (drive through car wash in a pinch) up until last Thursday. I had just gotten my headlights back from ONEighty and was installing/aligning them. Front bumper was off so warnings were getting thrown left and right. I had been ignoring them with a "yeah, yeah, shuddup I know." Went for a quick drive to see if the general alignment was good, and my hood flew up.

~$4000 to repair because I didn't pay attention to the hood latch warning that let me know I didn't push the hood down quite hard enough

My ED thread
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18198.00
jmg18864.50
      06-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #16
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja_Vu View Post
I've got my car fully Xpeled. I had no damage except for some very minor curb rash (drive through car wash in a pinch) up until last Thursday. I had just gotten my headlights back from ONEighty and was installing/aligning them. Front bumper was off so warnings were getting thrown left and right. I had been ignoring them with a "yeah, yeah, shuddup I know." Went for a quick drive to see if the general alignment was good, and my hood flew up.

~$4000 to repair because I didn't pay attention to the hood latch warning that let me know I didn't push the hood down quite hard enough
Damn man. Sorry to hear about the misfortune. We all have face palm moments. But that seems excessively high to put a new hood on the car. Are you paying out of pocket or putting a comprehensive claim through? Good luck man. Hope it gets back in one piece soon.

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Comprehensive. Even if my rate goes up it's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying out of pocket.

My ED thread
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja_Vu View Post
I woulda freaked the fuck out! geezus, that's terrible, but coulda been waaaayyyy worse.

i do always appreciate these posts because we all do stupid shit, so it's nice to know there's a support group.
Appreciate 2
DBACE690.00
mark9661135.00
      06-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #19
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschweiger View Post
I have some really bad curb rash on one of my wheels, but I was able to get it repaired where you can't tell unless you really look. My car is unblemished so far (knock on wood)
Glad you got it fixed... bad moment, on a good day
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #20
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Came REALLY close today. The front warning systems are shit in the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #21
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Blemishes
Attached Images

jmg18864.50
      06-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #22
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Wow, a rollover? Glad you're OK and posting. Gotta ask tho, your fault?
Appreciate 0