Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

06-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
CharlieVictor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6-speed YMB

Do European-spec tail lights have amber turn signals?

Browsing the many photos that members have shared (thanks!), it looks to me as if non-North America cars may have amber rear turn signals. A quickie search lead me to a thread in which a Euro owner was asking about US-spec lights, so I'm thinking it might be so. Is this in fact the case? If so, is there a vendor that offers them in the US? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
brownb_2
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

they are amber when on, but the entire tail light assembly is red in colour when off

have a look in the sticky of the LCI update, looks like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
That is something I dont realy understand. The DOT has concluded in multiple studies/reports that amber turn signals are safer, they however still leave the option for manufacturers for either red or amber rear turn signals. On the other hand, EU regulation mandates amber rear turn signals. So I do not understand why many European manufacturers go through the trouble of making two different types of rear light clusters, amber for the EU and red for North America, when a single cluster with amber signals would suffice the world over.

The only thing I can think of is that a market study has shown that North American consumers prefer red rear turn signals. I personnaly prefer amber rear turn signals.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
SD ///M42992.00
      06-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That is something I dont realy understand. The DOT has concluded in multiple studies/reports that amber turn signals are safer, they however still leave the option for manufacturers for either red or amber rear turn signals. On the other hand, EU regulation mandates amber rear turn signals. So I do not understand why many European manufacturers go through the trouble of making two different types of rear light clusters, amber for the EU and red for North America, when a single cluster with amber signals would suffice the world over.

The only thing I can think of is that a market study has shown that North American consumers prefer red rear turn signals. I personnaly prefer amber rear turn signals.
Wait, people actually use turn signals in Canada?
      06-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #5
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 02:31 AM   #6
Foxyy
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 LCI

It's funny that americans are searching for amber turn signals, but if you observe the opinions on german boards, nothing is less liked than those damn amber edges in your rear Lightshow.
I think it euro rear lights look odd, people here are willing to pay more than a thousand bucks to have them changed.

People obviously always want what, what they don't have

PS: LCI taillights are now all red and it looks soooooo much better! At least for my german mind

PPS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownb_2 View Post
they are amber when on, but the entire tail light assembly is red in colour when off.
Here they have an ember edge where the turn signal is which you always see, no matter if lights are on or off.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread