ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW Z4 3.0i

you might find this funny= new seats

I sold my Z3 in conjunction with purchasing a used Z4...I tried to find the right combonation (remember buying used) I wanted 3.0 engine Arktek Silbur (silver) exterior sport premium package with imola red interior... I just think that the red interior is made for the silver color ...and maybe black.

either way I could not find it so i purchased a silver 3.0 with black interior...the black interior is more like a pewter black that looks dirty no matter how often or with what you clean it with...so this monday Im re-upholstering this car the upholsterer that i go to is using genuine leather which will greatly stiffin' the seats but oh well...there is no color code for interior so we got as close as we can to the imola red... and it is close.

the problem is that i will not be able to change out the door inserts where the air-bag is because it is not removable without replacing the whole door panel $$$$$$$

So anyone have any ideas on how i cant tie in the whole interior to the seats? I was thinking of changing the shift boot and brake boots to red as well...but?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
enlightenment
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Coupe AW/IR

I'd just do the seats on a Z4. You might be able to do the carpet too. I would leave the shift and brake boots black.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

sell me your black leather covering(if it's heated)
      05-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

red color

I had a 2002 white z3 with the red leather interior it was not smooth leather but almost like alligator skin. I forget what they called it but i can tell you i hated it looked great for a while but really showed the wear marks when i wore a black belt that would come off on it. When i cleaned it the red color would come off it. I always wonder if it was never sealed some way. I only used the recommended prodcuts on it. When it was 90 degrees outside and i drove with my top down my shirt would come away with a red tint on it. So this time with my 2006 z4 i choose non leather and i am very very happy with it. Leatherette you just wipe with a wet rag. Maybe it had something to do with the very hot weather here in florida.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Any competent upholstering place should be able to upholster the door panels - either just the middle or the whole thing - without much hassle. I'd be cautious of the place you chose if they say they can't. I know LeatherZ has done stuff like this. I have personally done this as well, I bought a base model Highlander a year ago and wanted leather. I had a shop re-upholster the seats and the door panels, just inserts like our car, and they did a fantastic job for just $1200. And thats a LOT more material than a Z4 would need!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep

They Would Not Touch It Because Of Where The Airbag Comes Out... It Has To Be Perferated At Certain Points So That The Airbag Rips Through If Needed... A Lot Of Shops Pass On Stuff That Leaves Them Liable For Anything. They Would Do The Whole Door Though And Skip That Panel. But I Think That Would Look A Little Tacky. Imo
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZ View Post
They Would Not Touch It Because Of Where The Airbag Comes Out... It Has To Be Perferated At Certain Points So That The Airbag Rips Through If Needed... A Lot Of Shops Pass On Stuff That Leaves Them Liable For Anything. They Would Do The Whole Door Though And Skip That Panel. But I Think That Would Look A Little Tacky. Imo
I Think Capitalizing Every Word Looks Tacky.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

All they have to do is seam it in the middle, just like BMW did. Once again, if they are worth what you're paying them, they'd know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep

I dont know how that happened with the whole capitalizing everything...(weird)
but as far as the center panel with the airbag...take a look at it (I did) you cannot just put a seam there...you would have to put a seam there and then take it apart there and glue it back together but perferated a seam would be too strong and would not rip apart properly...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZ View Post
I dont know how that happened with the whole capitalizing everything...(weird)
but as far as the center panel with the airbag...take a look at it (I did) you cannot just put a seam there...you would have to put a seam there and then take it apart there and glue it back together but perferated a seam would be too strong and would not rip apart properly...
To tell you the truth... On my last car, I had lamb skin seat covers on it the whole 5 years I owned it. The side airbags were in the side of the seat. I guess it may just be me but I didn't really care.

Point being, some people will kill 2 airbags for their car to keep a good look and so they can feel good about it... I mean it is not like there are not 6 other airbags anyway...

Just my opinion of course
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

You can send a sample of the new leather to www.leatherique.com and they can mix custom dye to match?

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

Go ahead and ask this on bf.C or bimmerfest, somewhere where the leatherZ guys hang out. They will tell you, you can seam such that an air bag will deploy right through it. Have you ever looked at an older airbag steering wheel? Or a passenger dash panel? Its a single, contiguous piece of leather or vinyl work, but it has a fault seam such that the air bag will deploy directly through it. The right people can do this in a heartbeat.

I understand your safety concern, and frankly its a pleasure to see that. As Hawkeye said, so many people will mod a car and defect the airbags without thinking twice. I'm just here to say that if your leather shop says they won't touch the airbag panels, I'd be suspect of the work they do in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep

true that, I would be a little suspect... and I will not say that they are the best...however they do a good job I have had other work done for my car dealership with them and for what they charge I'm satisfied, also no matter what you do anyone can do anything for you for the right price...so yeah i'm willing tio believe that someone out there can re-do that panel.(why doesnt BMW just sell that piece alone?)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep

there not heated, sorry...
Appreciate 0