Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
JTmarlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Hood doesn't line up at random times?

Does anyone experience this issue at random times? The hood at times appears to be off from the front bumper by a noticeable amount, and I've tried to adjust the rubber grommet but to no avail. Then a few days later it's resolved. I need to take pictures to show the noticeable difference, but curious if anyone has experienced this? And yes the hood is completely shut
      08-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Are you talking about the gap between the front of the hood line to line above the BMW roundel? That part of the front can be adjusted... maybe a few screws are loose and its moving around. Just pull back the rubber seal and you'll see a few screws that hold the area down.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
JTmarlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Are you talking about the gap between the front of the hood line to line above the BMW roundel? That part of the front can be adjusted... maybe a few screws are loose and its moving around. Just pull back the rubber seal and you'll see a few screws that hold the area down.
thanks, i'll try to see which screws are loose.
      08-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
evolmotorsprt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

The rear of my hood was loose to the point of sounding like there was broken suspension parts. Dealer adjusted it and all is good. Let them or a body shop do it.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Smile Gaps and Such

OP, don't take pictures unless you scale them with a measurement device. Otherwise it makes you look like you are a tad crazy, as pictures are fairly ineffective for conveying such small measurements with the noted variance. You might be the victim of process variation, or it does sound like loose fasteners, remember this is a mass produced car.

There have been some posts here identifying similar issues in-between the cars exterior parts that have been seen by various Bimmerpost members. Do a search and you may learn more.

I suggest you don't look any further than stopping you intermittent variance, you may find yourself going quite mad, especially if you have any CDO (OCD in its correct alpha progression).
      08-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

This is what I saw on bunch cars even brand new still at the dealer.
Gaps between hood, bumper are horrible on the 3 or 4 series.
Most people don't care, but personal I hate it! I adjusted all my gaps in the front till I was satisfied.

Since the bumper is plastic and the hood aluminium?, depending on the temperature you can see the uneven gaps more or less.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

Make sure you're pushing down on the hood from both sides? There are two locks under the hood and one can catch while the other doesn't. I doubt this is your issue but who knows
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      08-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I put a couple of washers between the front cover and frame (under that rubber seal) to even out the gaps. Also unscrewed the fenders, pushed them in, and then tightened to sure up those gaps too. It was driving me crazy and now the gaps around the hood looks pretty good!
      08-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Pretty sure this is the same thing would happen on the e9x due to the material composition of the body parts, specifically the fenders. E9x fender gaps where it met the headlamp would never line up because the fenders were constantly changing shape. You'd adjust it one day, come out the next morning and it wouldn't be in the same place it was the day before. They will change shape with temperature and therefore don't appear to line up at times. When I was working for BMW back then they mentioned this several times in the e9x model launch training.
Appreciate 0