BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

08-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Feels slow in Sport mode

Over the last week I don't feel as much power in Sport mode as I used to before. I rarely drive in Sports Plus and do so only during spirited driving, not for regular stop and go traffic.

I had the engine oil changed and after a long time filled up with Shell V Power 93 Premium and the car feels slow. Any ideas?
      08-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

Time for a tune and splash of e85
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Over the last week I don't feel as much power in Sport mode as I used to before. I rarely drive in Sports Plus and do so only during spirited driving, not for regular stop and go traffic.

I had the engine oil changed and after a long time filled up with Shell V Power 93 Premium and the car feels slow. Any ideas?
This happens sometimes. It helps to give the car a little reset. Disconnect the battery for about 15 min and plug it back in. Drive it till it's warm and try mashing it.

Same thing happened to me with my tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

It's all in your mind. Go to sport+ for a while without any of the nannies on.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
This just happened to me, a noticeable difference in sport mode power and lack of burbles in the exhaust. Think I got a bad tank of gas. Will find out soon enough I guess when this tank is gone (added octane booster and still can't tell an improvement)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
I had the engine oil changed...
Did you have the oil changed at the dealership as part of a routine maintenance visit? If so, did they update your software perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Efficient and Sport mode are deadend. Sport Plus seems the most natural to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondiesel View Post
Time for a tune and splash of e85
I regularly drive Sport + throttle and DSC fully off (when conditions permit then careful with throttle application) - or if conditions not so good - Sport + throttle with MDM.

Sport + and DSC fully off make this car much faster than lesser throttle settings - you would have to be driving on ice to truly justify full DSC (which definitely makes the car slower).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
you would have to be driving on ice to truly justify full DSC (which definitely makes the car slower).
Or perhaps just care about your safety and of those around you

If you are driving so hard on the street that DSC is constantly intervening then I suggest re-evaluating your driving style.
Appreciate 3
      08-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

If you are driving so hard on the street that DSC is constantly intervening then I suggest re-evaluating your driving style.
You completely missed my point. I drive with DSC fully off all the time in the dry (as do many others here) and the only time the rear end even closely "steps out" is if I deliberately provoke it. I've even driven DSC fully off on rain covered streets (with no traffic around very early in the morning at low speeds) and I can do so while maintaining traction the whole time.

Now when I drive with MDM on, the DSC light almost never flashes (because I actually learned car dynamics and how to drive the car without relying on DSC to save me from improper driving techniques). Even when I drive in the rain (with MDM on) the light hardly ever flashes.

If the only way you can drive this car while "caring about the safety of others" is to also have DSC fully on no matter how favorable the conditions, don't you think that the "safe" option would instead be driving a car with much less horsepower and torque? If safety is such a paramount concern of yours, do you ever exceed the speed limit? (You don't have to answer that here - but if the answer is yes - then aren't you disregarding the safety of others)? For all of those times you were driving 50 mph where the speed limit was 45 mph - why would you so carelessly jeopardize the safety of others around you? (That was clearly intended as a rhetorical question to everyone else reading this)...
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Time to start driving in sport+
But seriously could be bad gas or that your car got reset or you are using the other key...
      08-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #12
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:

I agree.

If DSC is "constantly intervening" for some of you, then that means you're out of control, not driving safely, and probably shouldn't have a license.

Now, if you're on a track, then I suppose that's a completely different story altogether.
      08-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You completely missed my point. I drive with DSC fully off all the time in the dry (as do many others here) and the only time the rear end even closely "steps out" is if I deliberately provoke it. I've even driven DSC fully off on rain covered streets (with no traffic around very early in the morning at low speeds) and I can do so while maintaining traction the whole time.

Now when I drive with MDM on, the DSC light almost never flashes (because I actually learned car dynamics and how to drive the car without relying on DSC to save me from improper driving techniques). Even when I drive in the rain (with MDM on) the light hardly ever flashes.

If the only way you can drive this car while "caring about the safety of others" is to also have DSC fully on no matter how favorable the conditions, don't you think that the "safe" option would instead be driving a car with much less horsepower and torque? If safety is such a paramount concern of yours, do you ever exceed the speed limit? (You don't have to answer that here - but if the answer is yes - then aren't you disregarding the safety of others)? For all of those times you were driving 50 mph where the speed limit was 45 mph - why would you so carelessly jeopardize the safety of others around you? (That was clearly intended as a rhetorical question to everyone else reading this)...
And in turn you completely missed my point...

Your last paragraph is just a strawman as I never said or alluded to any of that. I was simply commenting on your claim that "you would have to be driving on ice to truly justify full DSC" by pointing out there are other justifications for DSC like safety (the entire reason it was invented).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
WoodKnuckle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2cs Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
But seriously could be bad gas or that your car got reset or you are using the other key...
Other key? What are you driving a hellcat?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #15
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And in turn you completely missed my point...

Your last paragraph is just a strawman as I never said or alluded to any of that. I was simply commenting on your claim that "you would have to be driving on ice to truly justify full DSC" by pointing out there are other justifications for DSC like safety (the entire reason it was invented).
For drivers at my skill level or higher - I stand behind this comment. I've daily driven this car for 3 years in ice, snow and rain and I have never even come close to losing control of it in those conditions - and as I stated before - the DSC light hardly ever flashes.

Now - a less experienced driver - that could very well be a different story.

Does that clarify things?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For drivers at my skill level or higher - I stand behind this comment. I've daily driven this car for 3 years in ice, snow and rain and I have never even come close to losing control of it in those conditions - and as I stated before - the DSC light hardly ever flashes.

And one more point I want to mention - you stated in post #9 above:

"If you are driving so hard on the street that DSC is constantly intervening then I suggest re-evaluating your driving style."

Neither the OP nor I said anything about "driving so hard on the street that DSC in constantly intervening" or any words to that effect. Didn't you just make a strawman argument there?

The bottom line is - for inexperienced (or relatively inexperienced drivers) DSC fully on or MDM may be best. For much more experienced drivers, and who are also aware of the risks of driving with DSC fully off - the F8x really does come alive with DSC fully off combined with Sport + throttle. The logical corollary is that Efficient or Sport throttle, combined with either DSC fully on or MDM, are going to make the car much more "sluggish" in feel vs. Sport + throttle and DSC fully off...

Last edited by Powerslide; 08-30-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #17
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
I agree.

If DSC is "constantly intervening" for some of you, then that means you're out of control, not driving safely, and probably shouldn't have a license.

Now, if you're on a track, then I suppose that's a completely different story altogether.
Disagree. DSC can intervene because tire pressure is low. I had DSC constantly intervening the other day out of nowhere, which prompted me to check pressures, sure enough they were all 2PSI low. I didn't suddenly have 100 more HP, and I didn't suddenly change my driving style.

Yes constantly intervening can mean lack of smooth driving... but not always. Correlation ≠ causation.
Appreciate 1
Powerslide1098.50
      08-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #18
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodKnuckle View Post
Quote:
Wait, doesn't your key store the setting/preferences? Anyway that's what I meant...
      08-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #19
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodKnuckle View Post
Quote:
Wait, doesn't your key store the setting/preferences? Anyway that's what I meant...
Your key can if you set up the personal profile from what I understand.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:10 AM   #20
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
I agree.

Disagree. DSC can intervene because tire pressure is low. I had DSC constantly intervening the other day out of nowhere, which prompted me to check pressures, sure enough they were all 2PSI low. I didn't suddenly have 100 more HP, and I didn't suddenly change my driving style.

Yes constantly intervening can mean lack of smooth driving... but not always. Correlation ≠ causation.
I'm skeptical. I have an M3 too. I have never ever experienced this. I'm usually good at keeping my tire pressure at spec, but sometimes it's unavoidable in the winter. Plus, this deflects from the point we were making about DSC. With all things being normal, if DSC is constantly intervening, then you're out of control.
      08-31-2017, 06:39 AM   #21
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Whatever you say, just be safe out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #22
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:

DSC is flashing easy in 3rd gear without any rain on a dry road.

Check your car or push it harder
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread