ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Memphis17CPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 CP M4

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [10.00]
BMW newbie with (a lot of) newbie questions, sorry in advance :)

Hi, I am brand new to the BMW world. I had always wanted one growing up; I always was memorialized by the allure of the M series cars. I kicked the tires over the years test driving, and reading up on them, but couldn't afford one. 10 years ago I bought a TypeS Acura TL. This was the closest (but yet furthest) thing to an M series I could responsibly purchase. I recently was talked into enjoying life, being reminded that we may not be here tomorrow. Since my financial situation isn't a bottle neck I "manned up" and drove one home. I flew to Dallas and drove 600 miles home as my first drive as an owner. WOW!

My car has CP, EP, DA packages. I think the only options the car doesn't have is adaptive headlights (wish it did). I am the second owner, the car had 2,500 miles on it. Unfortunately the "book" wasn't in the leather binder. I am going to locate one and order it.

I have several questions, and tons more to follow I am sure. If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated. If any of these is remedial or basic, sorry to have cluttered this thread up. But, I'm wearing some fire retarded clothing and have thick skin

Questions (I have looked in the infotainment center prior to asking these):

1) How can I program the seats so that when I turn the car off they go all the way back for ease of exit and entry. And, when I start the car they go to the pre-programmed positions.

2) When I get into the car start it and drive away is that a different driver setting then M1 or M2? I've read on here that there is a "passive" setting but don't see it in any of the options. I've set M1 to the most softest and efficient settings and M2 to the "race" settings. Ideally, I'd like for M1 to be a hybrid of comfort and race mode if there is a default mode prior to hitting M1 or M2. If there is a default mode, what are the individual settings defaulted to?

3) I have the driver assist package. So:
3a) Besides the red car appearing on my HUD, is there an auto brake that engages at some point?
3b) Is adaptive cruise control standard? I don't see any mention of it in my car
3c) Is there a way to set the back up camera and parking radar to engage as a default when putting the car in reverse?

4) I take it the spare tire is a flatbed?
5) The wireless connectivity (playing music from my phone, making calls, etc) isn't the best. It cuts in and out constantly. Is this common or is there a fix?
5a) After I have engaged Apple car play and stop using it by switching to satellite radio about 5-10 minutes later Apple car play starts playing again.
6) I don't have a remote for my garage door opener. Is there any way around getting the car's ability to operate my garage door without one? Do I need to get a universal garage door opener?

I guess I will stop there for now.

Last edited by Memphis17CPM4; 09-09-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
First of all, the owners manuals are available in PDF form online. Google for it. Get the one for your model year since every model year is a little different. That will answer many of the questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

1) Car needs to be coded.

2) Car always starts - Comfort - Sport - Sport. Cannot be adjusted. Set M1&2 up as you wish.

3)

a) It?ll brake in emergency only.. DO NOT TEST IT.

b) No adaptive cruise available.

c) Press down on iDrive controller (when backing up) it remembers last setting (I think).

4) Yep. Small can under trunk floor, may help some situations.

5) I don?t have wireless charging or Apple Car Play

6) Button on the door opener unit, Home link button the a few seconds.
Appreciate 4
      09-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
Memphis17CPM4
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
1) Car needs to be coded.

2) Car always starts - Comfort - Sport - Sport. Cannot be adjusted. Set M1&2 up as you wish.

3)

a) It?ll break in emergency only.. DO NOT TEST IT.

b) No adaptive cruise available.

c) Press down on iDrive controller (when backing up) it remembers last setting (I think).

4) Yep. Small can under trunk floor, may help some situations.

5) I don?t have wireless charging or Apple Car Play

6) Doubt it.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Congratulations and welcome! In addition to the response above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis17CPM4 View Post
Unfortunately the "book" wasn't in the leather binder. I am going to locate one and order it.
In addition to PDFs that are available on the web through the BMWNA site, you can download the "BMW Driver's Guide" to your phone or tablet. I really like this version of the manual because it is easily searchable and is specific to your car.

Quote:
In addition to the tire sealant, there is a compressor under the trunk floor.

Quote:
5) The wireless connectivity (playing music from my phone, making calls, etc) isn't the best. It cuts in and out constantly. Is this common or is there a fix?
I have not experienced this; I have found Bluetooth wireless streaming to be pretty good. Obviously your phone signal needs to be reasonably strong for the system to work well for music, calls, etc. If your car has its own wireless hotspot that is not working well, that is a different issue.

Quote:
6) I don't have a remote for my garage door opener. Is there any way around getting the car's ability to operate my garage door without one? Do I need to get a universal garage door opener?
I'm not sure I fully understand. How do you open your garage door? If it is a manual door, you will need to install a garage door opener for Homelink to work.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Hi, I am brand new to the BMW world. I had always wanted one growing up; I always was memorialized by the allure of the M series cars. I kicked the tires over the years test driving, and reading up on them, but couldn't afford one. 10 years ago I bought a TypeS Acura TL. This was the closest (but yet furthest) thing to an M series I could responsibly purchase. I recently was talked into enjoying life, being reminded that we may not be here tomorrow. Since my financial situation isn't a bottle neck I "manned up" and drove one home. I flew to Dallas and drove 600 miles home as my first drive as an owner. WOW!

My car has CP, EP, DA packages. I think the only options the car doesn't have is adaptive headlights (wish it did). I am the second owner, the car had 2,500 miles on it. Unfortunately the "book" wasn't in the leather binder. I am going to locate one and order it.

I have several questions, and tons more to follow I am sure. If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated. If any of these is remedial or basic, sorry to have cluttered this thread up. But, I'm wearing some fire retarded clothing and have thick skin

Questions (I have looked in the infotainment center prior to asking these):

1) How can I program the seats so that when I turn the car off they go all the way back for ease of exit and entry. And, when I start the car they go to the pre-programmed positions.

2) When I get into the car start it and drive away is that a different driver setting then M1 or M2? I've read on here that there is a "passive" setting but don't see it in any of the options. I've set M1 to the most softest and efficient settings and M2 to the "race" settings. Ideally, I'd like for M1 to be a hybrid of comfort and race mode if there is a default mode prior to hitting M1 or M2. If there is a default mode, what are the individual settings defaulted to?

3) I have the driver assist package. So:
3a) Besides the red car appearing on my HUD, is there an auto brake that engages at some point?
3b) Is adaptive cruise control standard? I don't see any mention of it in my car
3c) Is there a way to set the back up camera and parking radar to engage as a default when putting the car in reverse?

5a) After I have engaged Apple car play and stop using it by switching to satellite radio about 5-10 minutes later Apple car play starts playing again.

I guess I will stop there for now.
6) The garage opener main unit probably has a learning button on the actual unit. You'll have to climb up there and take a look. I believe the process for programming the car is a bit different if your garage opener uses a rolling code. Look up a user manual for the garage owner on in the internets.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
scourgem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80

Just wanted to say congrats! Always great to hear when someone is able to make their dream car a reality since most of us can relate. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #8
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
In addition to the tire sealant, there is a compressor under the trunk floor.
What's that compressor for?
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 02:37 AM   #9
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
What's that compressor for?
      09-10-2017, 02:53 AM   #10
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
I was seriously asking.....

LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 03:14 AM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
I was seriously asking.....]
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2017, 04:36 AM   #12
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
first time I see that so it can inflate the tire if it was flat or is it just for topping up?
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
first time I see that so it can inflate the tire if it was flat or is it just for topping up?
You don't have a spare tire, so the kit comes with goo that injects into your flat tire to plug the hole and inflate the tire so you can drive a short distance.

Ignore the kit and call a road assistance service.
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Yes. Exactly. The goo makes a mess and rarely works. Just know if you get a flat, you'll be calling AAA and getting a tow to a tire shop.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You don't have a spare tire, so the kit comes with goo that injects into your flat tire to plug the hole and inflate the tire so you can drive a short distance.

Right, thanks man, you are the M Guru
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
F80_patrickmurray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If you do not have a garage door opener hit the learn button on the unit and go back to the car while its on and in front of your garage, hold down on home link button on the mirror 3 times for about 5 seconds each.

2018 F80 M3 Daytona Violet
2017 F80 M3 Alpine white, 6MT, Carbon Cloth, Lighting pack, HRE, Eventuri, Mode Carbon, KW, Status Gruppe, ESS Tuning, MRG Race Co, M-Performance
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #17
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_patrickmurray View Post
If you do not have a garage door opener hit the learn button on the unit and go back to the car while its on and in front of your garage, hold down on home link button on the mirror 3 times for about 5 seconds each.
I think he doesn't have the homelink buttons
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #18
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Quote:
Yes. Exactly. The goo makes a mess and rarely works. Just know if you get a flat, you'll be calling AAA and getting a tow to a tire shop.
Or keep a tire repair kit in the car. It only takes 5-10 minutes to plug a tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #19
F80_patrickmurray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I think he doesn't have the homelink buttons
He should, its a standard feature on the F8X

2018 F80 M3 Daytona Violet
2017 F80 M3 Alpine white, 6MT, Carbon Cloth, Lighting pack, HRE, Eventuri, Mode Carbon, KW, Status Gruppe, ESS Tuning, MRG Race Co, M-Performance
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #20
Memphis17CPM4
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [10.00]
I bought this townhouse last year and it didn't come with a remote for the garage door opener. The opener is also circa 1983... The opener has dip switches, doesn't have a learn button. I think I am SOL.

Thank you to all for the other answers!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #21
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 SSII F82 ZCP

Quote:
I bought this townhouse last year and it didn't come with a remote for the garage door opener. The opener is also circa 1983... The opener has dip switches, doesn't have a learn button. I think I am SOL.

Thank you to all for the other answers!
I have an archaic remote with dip switches as well and got Homelink working just fine. On mobile so will give short instructions. If it doesn't work PM me for more details. Hold remote up to mirror. Hold remote button and Homelink button until you see rapid flashes in Homelink (takes like 10 seconds). Test Homelink on gate.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0