European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2013

What is it like?

As the title says, what is it like owning and driving M3/M4? My dream car is M4 but M3 will do

I have a 2013 F30 320d and I love it to bits (first BMW). My previous cars are 1999 Freelander 1.8 petrol and 2009 Astra 1.7 diesel. So yea I haven't really driven a fast car.

The 320d actually feels powerful to me with all of its 181bhp . Seems to pull very well in and out of traffic and if I step on it in sport mode it doesn't take long to reach speed limits. I can only imagine what its like in the M3/M4.

I'm 27 at the moment; electrical engineer stuck in dead end job building and installing bioreactors. So prospect of owning one of these ///M cars is unfortunately not in the near future
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

If we weren't living in these "great" US of A, you'd see many fewer of us driving M3/M4s as well. It's ridiculous how cheap they are on this side, but the party seems to be coming to an end anyway if you lease.

Back on topic, I love it on a day-to-day basis, it's really about that 5% when you can stretch your legs. 95% of the time the potential is wasted. In fact if I didn't have track days in mind I don't think I would've took the plunge.

Back off topic, have you tried VR? I recently got the HTC Vive with racing seats, Ferrari replica wheel and pedals. It's mind blowing, and much cheaper than owning the actual vehicle. The technology has come a long way. You actually get haptic feedback on the wheel and steering feels very lifelike. Obviously you won't get the g-forces and somewhat less of a thrill, but like I said the technology has come a long way and I truly think will become the future of entertainment.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acturater View Post
If we weren't living in these "great" US of A, you'd see many fewer of us driving M3/M4s as well. It's ridiculous how cheap they are on this side, but the party seems to be coming to an end anyway if you lease.
A $70k+ car is ridiculously cheap?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I think he means relative to europe, where they tax the ever living Sh*T out of cars with engines larger than 1.8l

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Smile It's almost like the 7 stages of Grief.....But Not!!

You could almost say it is like the five to seven stages of grief, but in a order that is much different and intertwined.

The Preorder and Order Stage:

“Acceptance” Choosing which one to get, with specific options, is maddening, and is intertwined with the stage of “Bargaining” Once you have come to terms with paying for an F8x M3/M4, the way you want it. Then you must find the dealer that will accommodate you, which can lead into the stage of “Anger” by dealers not seeing things your way. After deciding and ordering, you start to internalize and begin the “Reflection” stage, as the angst of self doubt and maybe a little self loathing start to swell inside of you. Did I pick the right F8x? Do I really need these options? Why didn’t I get these options? Why did Bimmerpost post that? Did I spent too much? "Potential “Denial” on that last one.

The Pick-up Stage:

“More Acceptance” The day of picking it up is a day of Joyous reverent celebration of not just the car but of the fact you pulled it off (hopefully without indebting yourself). The press of the throttle, beauty of the car, and physical feelings you get from driving the car inspires the largest smile of the day. (Typically, that last part does not go away….every time you get into the car)

Ownership Stage:

“Depression and Loneliness” You may find yourself feeling a bit down, as most around you won’t understand why you would spend so much on a car. But as you may already know, we each have one or two friends, so it really does not matter. If your spouse isn’t onboard (which, may not be a factor for you) there will be trouble.

“The Upward Turn” as you dig into the community and find there are others out there similar to you in regards to your penchant for fine machinery, you will find life is full of cool people. Car clubs, Auto Crossing, Track Days, Car Shows all bring about a particular lot of people, for the most part, they are pretty cool. While there are a few tools, you will learn: to drive better, about your car, how to modify your car (See acceptance, bargaining, anger) and discover how well you have chosen.

As the newness wares off, you may feel “Pain and Guilt” if you spent too much, or didn’t realize the cost of maintain the car, etc. after the maintenance agreement wears off.

More “Anger and Bargaining” is surely going to happen when you lash out at someone’s ill attempt to park near your car, inducing potential harm to the body and paint of your F8x.

You eventually learn to deal with the power, coolness and refined looks, which brings you to “Acceptance and Hope” knowing the coolness of your car may attract idiots around you on the road, but there is so much you can do with the car. You will have a smile on your face and the joy of knowing you have chosen well.

Enjoy what it’s like OP!!

Last edited by DBACE; 10-13-2017 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 13
DrtyJrze707.00
Naz241627.50
jwar9323.50
Colinv64030.50
Ibiza3612.50
allen3ybq448.00
MPoweRo428.00
GrussGott18183.50
Biorin2784.50
TI.3VOM73.50
GERMAN M34182.00
      10-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acturater View Post
It can be if it?s a leased tax write off and definitely was when MF was like 0.0007, residuals in high 60% and MSDs.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3612.50
      10-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
dch37
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

back on topic... it is Awesome!! Yes, you may need a track to really stretch it's legs, but even on a daily commute you have tons of fun.. every single day I drive this thing to work and back.. and this includes driving the kids around... and I have a grin on my face... every day... best money spent to date.... excluding the wedding ring I gave my wife
Appreciate 1
Lister59.50
      10-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
'Murica at its finest right here.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
You could almost say it is like the five to seven stages of grief, but in a order that is much different and intertwined.

“Acceptance” Choosing which one to get, with specific options, is maddening, and is intertwined with the stage of “Bargaining” Once you have come to terms with paying for an F8x M3/M4, the way you want it. Then you must find the dealer that will accommodate you, which can lead into the stage of “Anger” by dealers not seeing things your way. After deciding and ordering, you start to internalize and begin the “Reflection” stage, as the angst of self doubt and maybe a little self loathing start to swell inside of you. Did I pick the right F8x? Do I really need these options? Why didn’t I get these options? Why did Bimmerpost post that? Did I spent too much? "Potential “Denial” on that last one.

The Pick-up Stage:

“More Acceptance” The day of picking it up is a day of Joyous reverent celebration of not just the car but of the fact you pulled it off (hopefully without indebting yourself). The press of the throttle, beauty of the car, and physical feelings you get from driving the car inspires the largest smile of the day. (Typically, that last part does not go away….every time you get into the car)

Ownership Stage:

“Depression and Loneliness” You may find yourself feeling a bit down, as most around you won’t understand why you would spend so much on a car. But as you may already know, we each have one or two friends, so it really does not matter. If your spouse isn’t onboard (which, may not be a factor for you) there will be trouble.

“The Upward Turn” as you dig into the community and find there are others out there similar to you in regards to your penchant for fine machinery, you will find life is full of cool people. Car clubs, Auto Crossing, Track Days, Car Shows all bring about a particular lot of people, for the most part, they are pretty cool. While there are a few tools, you will learn: to drive better, about your car, how to modify your car (See acceptance, bargaining, anger) and discover how well you have chosen.

As the newness wares off, you may feel “Pain and Guilt” if you spent too much, or didn’t realize the cost of maintain the car, etc. after the maintenance agreement wears off.

More “Anger and Bargaining” is surely going to happen when you lash out at someone’s ill attempt to park near your car, inducing potential harm to the body and paint of your F8x.

You eventually learn to deal with the power, coolness and refined looks, which brings you to “Acceptance and Hope” knowing the coolness of your car may attract idiots around you on the road, but there is so much you can do with the car. You will have a smile on your face and the joy of knowing you have chosen well.

Thank you for the reply. It truly sounds like something special. I feel you pain with the parking A lot of the M cars I see at shopping malls here in the UK are parked right at the end of the parking lot. Nice to hear what its like from the other side.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch37 View Post
back on topic... it is Awesome!! Yes, you may need a track to really stretch it's legs, but even on a daily commute you have tons of fun.. every single day I drive this thing to work and back.. and this includes driving the kids around... and I have a grin on my face... every day... best money spent to date.... excluding the wedding ring I gave my wife
Sadly the only thing that gives me this feeling apart from my 320D is my Macbook. I guess I still have a long way to go
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
It's like getting a hot gf and finding out it takes a lot of work to keep her happy.
Appreciate 1
lukej387.00
      10-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

It's like I'm paranoid lookin' over my back
It's like a whirlwind inside of my head
It's like I can't stop what I'm hearing within
It's like the face inside is right beneath my skin
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #13
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

OP your still relatively young. Move up the BMW model range, maybe next to a petrol M-sport 340, then to a M3/M4. Save away money, then purchase a apartment/house, as I highly doubt the majority of mid 20's are trust fund material and probably highly in debt from their M3/M4 and renting a apartment/living with parents.
      10-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #14
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
OP your still relatively young. Move up the BMW model range, maybe next to a petrol M-sport 340, then to a M3/M4. Save away money, then purchase a apartment/house, as I highly doubt the majority of mid 20's are trust fund material and probably highly in debt from their M3/M4 and renting a apartment/living with parents.
I hear you. My next BMW will probably be a M-sport 430 or 435. A house and creating passive income are my top priority at the moment.
Appreciate 2
Ibiza3612.50
Lister59.50
      10-14-2017, 05:51 AM   #15
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post

The Pick-up Stage:

Ownership Stage:

This pretty much says it all! I enjoyed reading it
Appreciate 1
DBACE690.00
      10-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #16
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

You pose an interesting question. If you wait, do you feel better about yourself, or does the lust for one of these cars keep getting stronger? I saw my first BMW ever at the age of 19, a 3.0 CSL, I really did not know what I was looking at but I knew I wanted one. Pity it took me 20 years to make that decision. My first BMW was one I could afford, or perhaps I talked myself into believing that it was all I could afford. My next BMW would come in 2007, the E92 335i, when all I wanted was the M3, I subsequently purchased another 335i, and finally, the Sales Manager at my Dealer (a friend of mine), just looked at me when I wanted to trade that 335i in for a 335is. He asked me: "what do you really want?'. I said that I wanted an M3, he promptly gave me one to test drive, and upon my return presented me with a screaming deal, I bought it on the spot. I am on my 8th BMW now, a 2018 M4 ZCP, and about to purchase a 9th as an addition to my stable, a M240i xDrive. What is the moral of my story you may ask? If you want an M3 get an M3, my sense is that your hesitant attitude, in addition seeking approval from us here for your decision, or lack thereof, is the reason why you are in a dead end job, you accepted a dead end job, so you're in one, you accepted a diesel 320, so you drive one. Dude, you are not stepping up for the car of your dreams, so you are probably not stepping up to the job of your dreams, and so on. You probably feel that you are being responsible by not stepping up, but this attitude, it seems is impacting the rest of your life too. I do not mean to sound harsh or judgemental here, but I am a single father of four children and have been for over 10 years, and one thing I can tell you is that if one of my children is not stepping up, they're stepping down and seeking acceptance and/or validation for a shitty decision. They know I won't allow it, they are rewarded for taking risks, and we discuss failure as a learning experience, and fail is not a four letter word in my house. Simply put, I won't let them off the hook. Also, when you step up and start making courageous decisions, things in your life will change, usually for the better. We have done a phenomenal job of breeding risk out of the population here in the USA, and risk is probably one of the better known four letter words in our country. Without risk, nothing happens. So my wish for you, and I mean this with all sincerity, is for you to step up, go get the car, and start looking for a job with great prospects, and may all the wealth come to you with your new found courage and willingness to take a risk.
Appreciate 3
      10-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
I think he means relative to europe, where they tax the ever living Sh*T out of cars with engines larger than 1.8l
Not only Europe, in Australia it's $140K MSRP; in Canada (Toronto) it's $77K but if you tack on basic options and the obligatory 13% sales tax, you're easily $100K+ out the door.

This doesn't factor in exchange rate of course but it also doesn't factor in average income and income taxes that also favors Americans. But... we have less guns, so this more than makes up.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #18
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

My advise would be save yourself some money, get the M2 if you are stuck on BMWs.
      10-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
You pose an interesting question. If you wait, do you feel better about yourself, or does the lust for one of these cars keep getting stronger? I saw my first BMW ever at the age of 19, a 3.0 CSL, I really did not know what I was looking at but I knew I wanted one. Pity it took me 20 years to make that decision. My first BMW was one I could afford, or perhaps I talked myself into believing that it was all I could afford. My next BMW would come in 2007, the E92 335i, when all I wanted was the M3, I subsequently purchased another 335i, and finally, the Sales Manager at my Dealer (a friend of mine), just looked at me when I wanted to trade that 335i in for a 335is. He asked me: "what do you really want?'. I said that I wanted an M3, he promptly gave me one to test drive, and upon my return presented me with a screaming deal, I bought it on the spot. I am on my 8th BMW now, a 2018 M4 ZCP, and about to purchase a 9th as an addition to my stable, a M240i xDrive. What is the moral of my story you may ask? If you want an M3 get an M3, my sense is that your hesitant attitude, in addition seeking approval from us here for your decision, or lack thereof, is the reason why you are in a dead end job, you accepted a dead end job, so you're in one, you accepted a diesel 320, so you drive one. Dude, you are not stepping up for the car of your dreams, so you are probably not stepping up to the job of your dreams, and so on. You probably feel that you are being responsible by not stepping up, but this attitude, it seems is impacting the rest of your life too. I do not mean to sound harsh or judgemental here, but I am a single father of four children and have been for over 10 years, and one thing I can tell you is that if one of my children is not stepping up, they're stepping down and seeking acceptance and/or validation for a shitty decision. They know I won't allow it, they are rewarded for taking risks, and we discuss failure as a learning experience, and fail is not a four letter word in my house. Simply put, I won't let them off the hook. Also, when you step up and start making courageous decisions, things in your life will change, usually for the better. We have done a phenomenal job of breeding risk out of the population here in the USA, and risk is probably one of the better known four letter words in our country. Without risk, nothing happens. So my wish for you, and I mean this with all sincerity, is for you to step up, go get the car, and start looking for a job with great prospects, and may all the wealth come to you with your new found courage and willingness to take a risk.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. I took a huge risk by leaving my nest of a firm after 10 years into a completely new industry. Now I’m much happier, have better work life balance, overall less stressed and happier day to day and got a big bump in compensation and a promotion connected with the move. I recall walking into a dealership when I was single in my early 20s eyeballing a e92 m3 but talked myself out of it after hours on the floor. I was so set on it but couldn’t really justify it since I really couldn’t afford it. 12+ years later, I walked into a dealership with my wife and walked out with an M a hour later with nothing holding me back. If there is any doubt in you mind, you are not ready to make the leap. I think all of us are very ambitious and hard working, but timing and circumstances will be the differentiator. If you really want something, work towards it and it will come sooner or later.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I think you nailed it here as much as it is hard to hear. Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #21
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
It's like getting a hot gf and finding out it takes a lot of work to keep her happy.
Imagine having three hot gfs. I can't sleep most nights.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #22
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTM_BMW View Post
//snip//

I'm 27 at the moment; electrical engineer stuck in dead end job...
A double E stuck in a dead-end job? What? Why?
Appreciate 0