BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Roof Rack for E90

I'm finding minimal results for roof racks. I'm assuming if I hop over to the non-M forums I would? Can't imagine too many M3 guys are tossing roof racks on their cars.

Anyway, I'm considering picking up a roof rack for my E90 and possibly a cargo carrier so I'll have a place to stash items I don't want in the car/trunk and for long trips that need space for luggage and crap that we tend to pick up along the way. I especially like how easy it appears to install and dismount the rack assembly from what I've read. Would be nice to have some track junk that I don't want to dirty up the trunk in the carrier and then take the 30 minutes to take it off and rip up some cones and gators for the weekend and reverse to come back home. Or carrier aside, just have the rack to put a track set of wheels on the roof to swap out at the track.

Is the best option to go with an OEM rack and use Thule or Yakima accessories? Or should I go with Thule/Yakima everything? The results I have found are pretty dated, and while OEM was the best back then for wind noise and functionality, I'm wondering if currently there is a better solution. OEM stuff is half the price of aftermarket it seems and I can't see why. What I've found from nearly seven years ago:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=roof+rack

Wants:
  • Low wind noise
  • Ease to install and remove
  • Ability to install different accessories for a bicycle, kayak, etc.
  • Ability to transport an extra set of wheels/tires (I realize this is a stretch; I'll design something up that can span between the two bars if that's the case)
  • Something that will accept a slim-ish cargo carrier. I like Thule's design.

The last three will probably be a given for any rack. So I think the winner will be the one with the least amount of wind noise, high quality, ease of install, and good price. What's a good grab for an E90?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
biasrutus
driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

http://www.whispbar.com/shop/

I have had most of the different kinds and this is by far the best in my opinion. It meets all your criteria.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
advans
Advansolosis
Rep
Drives: ///M+////AMG

i have the OEM rack on and i love it! look up my IG for pics... #nicerackm3

2011 E90 M3, ESS VT2-650, 2015 GL550
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

They are very easy to remove. I affixed a custom tire rack.
Attached Images

Paul.y11.50