ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

If you live in the City, what's the point of an ///M?

All,

I live in a small city and have lived in very large ones. I work in another small town about a 45 min drive away. Thankfully, the drive lacks any traffic and about 1/3 of it is a little used (and policed) stretch with straight-aways, curves, scenery. This section I typically drive very fast. I get to work and I'm buzzing with adrenaline! What a car and what a drive! That's what it's all about!

On the weekend, I just drive around town and it's so boring...it got me thinking that if I didn't have that great drive Monday to Friday, I’d likely sell the car. So what do you guys/gals in the big city do!? You must get frustrated with traffic, slow drivers, typical idiots, traffic lights...etc!

BigLeo
      05-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
mazzawi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: before 05 Z4 2.5 now 08 MRdstr

Garage List
2005 Z4  [5.00]
The traffic part only builds up the anticipation for when you can let her rip.
either way I enjoy every kilometer
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
70RTY
Rep

certain aspects of city driving are fun e.g. driving through tunnels, threading the car smoothly through turns late at night when there is little traffic, looking at the reflection of the car in glass shopfronts (just joking....not really).

However, nothing beats a run out through the country and mountains on the weekends!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

1. I don't usually drive during the week or game days specifically to avoid traffic. If I do hit traffic, I usually get very agitated.

2. Driving on the weekend and road trips is great.

3. The cost is crazy to park the car all week and have it waiting for me. But, the fact that its there is worth it in the end, and I know I won't be here forever

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I drive it like I stole it all the time so... it is always fun for me. (yes I know I don't have an M)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
CAN 217
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, MGB

my ///M is a toy. my main mode of transport is taxis. i couldn't picture having to commute 45 min each way. i value my friends and family too much to waste 90 min in a car to go to work. oh yeah, my MGB is a toy too.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Its the same concept of having a roadster. All the time you can't use, but there is that one moment, when top goes down, the music is loud, and the wind is in your hair, owning the car makes total sense. And all the misery of not being able to use it goes away.
      05-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

On those empty roads out in Podunk, you can't pull up to a light and have the attractive girl in the next lane say "Great-looking car - it suits you." Then again, out in the sticks your girlfriend, who you were talking to via the hands-free system, won't exclaim "Who is THAT?" over the speakers. And it won't help the situation if you respond "Hang on, I'll get her name and phone number." Nope. Totally not helpful. Hilarious, but not helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
mazzawi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4  [5.00]
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
nOLd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MCoupe Interlagos Blue

Sometimes traffic is good (not all the time) it's a nice feeling everybody is checking out your car

Last edited by nOLd; 05-27-2008 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Without traffic, how would you know if you are a better driver than 'they' are?
How would you know if your car is faster?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
Without traffic, how would you know if you are a better driver than 'they' are?
How would you know if your car is faster?
butt dyno is enough for me. I am pretty sure it was faster than my last car
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN 217 View Post
my ///M is a toy. my main mode of transport is taxis. i couldn't picture having to commute 45 min each way. i value my friends and family too much to waste 90 min in a car to go to work. oh yeah, my MGB is a toy too.
Can217,

I live in the town with my friends and relatives are and commute to where I work. My work is highly specialized and so I have limited locations of employment. Actually I look forward to the commute, it's relaxing (when I'm not driving fast), and scenic, no traffic and I actually get a lot done. I plan out my day and come up with my best ideas while I'm driving as there are no distractions

Also, I lived in Toronto...I could get stuck on the 401 at 4am!?! During rush hours, It would take me 30 minutes to cross a borough. Line ups for everything...traffic galore. I bet in a week I spend less time commuting that you do calling a cab, getting around town and waiting for almost everything. I'm not very patient, so I hated Toronto for that. Now I loved Toronto for the multicultural communities, the theater, the Jays, TFC, restaurants & entertainment...but that only goes so far. Now my cost of living is less than half of what it was in Toronto, with much higher standard of living. It may take me 45 minutes to get to work, but it takes me 40 steps to get to my boat. Now if only the weather would warm up

So to me, getting attention for driving a nice car is mostly a pain. I had a guy run out of a restaurant yesterday and take a picture of my car at a traffic light. Kinda freaked my son out. I drive the car for the performance and so if I didn't have those opportunities on a regular basis, I wouldn't own a toy as it's just another machine that needs maintenance. My neighbor has seven collectibles and never drives any of them...to me life's too short for that.

Cheers...BigLeo

Last edited by BigLeo48; 05-28-2008 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
On those empty roads out in Podunk, you can't pull up to a light and have the attractive girl in the next lane say "Great-looking car - it suits you." Then again, out in the sticks your girlfriend, who you were talking to via the hands-free system, won't exclaim "Who is THAT?" over the speakers. And it won't help the situation if you respond "Hang on, I'll get her name and phone number." Nope. Totally not helpful. Hilarious, but not helpful.
EP's got jokes!!!

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
nOLd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MCoupe Interlagos Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeo48 View Post
Can217,

I live in the town with my friends and relatives are and commute to where I work. My work is highly specialized and so I have limited locations of employment. Actually I look forward to the commute, it's relaxing (when I'm not driving fast), and scenic, no traffic and I actually get a lot done. I plan out my day and come up with my best ideas while I'm driving as there are no distractions

Also, I lived in Toronto...I could get stuck on the 401 at 4am!?! During rush hours, It would take me 30 minutes to cross a borough. Line ups for everything...traffic galore. I bet in a week I spend less time commuting that you do calling a cab, getting around town and waiting for almost everything. I'm not very patient, so I hated Toronto for that. Now I loved Toronto for the multicultural communities, the theater, the Jays, TFC, restaurants & entertainment...but that only goes so far. Now my cost of living is less than half of what it was in Toronto, with much higher standard of living. It may take me 45 minutes to get to work, but it takes me 40 steps to get to my boat. Now if only the weather would warm up

So to me, getting attention for driving a nice car is mostly a pain. I had a guy run out of a restaurant yesterday and take a picture of my car at a traffic light. Kinda freaked my son out. I drive the car for the performance and so if I didn't have those opportunities on a regular basis, I wouldn't own a toy as it's just another machine that needs maintenance. My neighbor has seven collectibles and never drives any of them...to me life's too short for that.

Cheers...BigLeo
True that life is short need to drive the car often
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
mazzawi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeo48 View Post
I wouldn't own a toy as it's just another machine that needs maintenance.
hey your a TFC fan
so you don't consider your boat a toy :P
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #17
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzawi View Post
hey your a TFC fan
so you don't consider your boat a toy :P
mazzawi,

Yeah...my son plays for a rep soccer team that has links to the Houston Dynamo, so apparently his team is invited to practice with them at BMO field and then stay for the game the next day...should be fun.

The boat's a family thing...kids go skiing, tubing...or we just cruise the islands. 22' 350MPI with Bravo III Duoprop, thru-hull, and she does low 60s (mph)...it can be a toy at times

BigLeo