ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Ghetto fix for faulty icelink

When I first installed (head unit install, ipod hidden under passenger side carpeting) the icelink into my Z4, everything worked just fine. However, over time, and quite subtly, the sound would start bouncing around to various speakers and the stereo effect would be lost...as would the magnitude of the full sound. After a while i noticed that banging on the dash would bring "dead" speakers alive, for a while, but then speaker sound would start bouncing again. Not a good thing to do, bang on the dash, eh? I spoke with Tom at EAS and he said that as this problem was happening with both the ipod and the radio, it was most likely a radio related problem. Something I didn't want to hear as it meant if BMW was going to fix the poroblem, I would have to first remove all signs of the install, a PITA for sure. So, before uninstalling, I started to monkey around with the connections. I removed the panel under the A/C controls and pulled out the quadlock connection (male icelink quadlock fits into BMW connector), turned on the radio. As usual, some speakers weren't firing, but as I manipulated the connections, speakers started going on and off. I then inspected the connection itself. The locking arms on the quadlock only engaged on one side...no matter what I did to try to get the arm to catch. Next, with the radio/ipod playing, I pressed and wiggled all the connecting wires and got all speakers to work. As far as i can say, the icelink quadlock is a fault, not the BMW radio system!

Now for the ghetto fix. Taking some old flyline I simply tightly wrapped the connectors tight and then wrapped over the wires themselves and places the stuff back into the dash under the A/C controls. Holly sh@t, it worked!

BTW, I do need to credit someone from one of these BMW forums as I had read their post in which they said they wrapped the quadlock connection with duct tape. I didn't use duct taape because it leaves such a sticky residue when taken off. I thought my flyline use would be a lot less messy if I had to undo things.

I've been trying to reach Tom at EAS to see what he has to say, but all I kept getting was that the answer machine was full. I was thinking that getting a new quadlock would have made things easier...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
pvr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

yep, that was me with the duct tape ... Connectors are terribly loose in the quadblock but mine failed whilst I had not put the radio back in the car
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
yep, that was me with the duct tape ... Connectors are terribly loose in the quadblock but mine failed whilst I had not put the radio back in the car
Hi, PVR. I figured that if I put this thread on enough bmw sites, I'd find you BTW which site was your response on?). I also wanted to alert other icelink owners who may have the same problem.

Yeah, although the quadlock doesn't fully lock into place, I believe that that really isn't the whole problem. I, too, feel that the icelink wiring to the quadlock is shabby and doesn't make good connections with their recepticles. Thus the need to "press" (duct tape/flyline/etc) them into place. BTW, have you come up with any other solutions? Certainly would be cool if Tom saw this thread and volunteered to fix things???

EDIT: I spoke with Tom today and let me tell you this guy is all aces. Although my ghetto rig seems to be working, Tom offered to replace it with an icelink trunk setup if my original problem arises again. Not being a pig, I'll only take him up on his most generous offer if, indeed, sound starts bouncing from speaker to speaker.

Last edited by Flycaster; 05-27-2008 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0