Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Ipod Nano to work with 2018 M3?

So I picked up my M3 yesterday and to my surprise my ipod nano that i've been using in the last 2 BMW's doesn't seem to work with the latest idrive system. I've tried using the original cable from apple and the car recognizes it being there but it doesn't allow me to do anything with it. It gives me a message about "download or open the app is necessary..."

Is there something I am doing wrong or is there some sort of work around to this? I have years and years of music saved on my nano and I got it purposely for car use.

Thanks,
Alan
      07-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Shouldn't your phone have enough room to store all your songs. The car has Bluetooth use it lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Shouldn't your phone have enough room to store all your songs. The car has Bluetooth use it lol.
Yes it does but i don't like my phone constantly being plugged into the car for power since using it for BT streaming would drain it. Also isn't there sound quality difference between BT and "wired" connection?

Fact is I purposely bought the nano several years ago solely to leave in the car for music and it would be great to be able to still use it.

Alan
      07-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Yes it does but i don't like my phone constantly being plugged into the car for power since using it for BT streaming would drain it. Also isn't there sound quality difference between BT and "wired" connection?

Fact is I purposely bought the nano several years ago solely to leave in the car for music and it would be great to be able to still use it.

Alan
Have you considered just downloading your most played tracks to the car? If you're leaving the nano in the car it is pretty much the same thing.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Have you considered just downloading your most played tracks to the car? If you're leaving the nano in the car it is pretty much the same thing.
I thought about it but I'm not sure Apple allows you to do that easily.
      07-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Quote:

Alan
BT streaming doesn't use that much battery unless your commute is like hours long. There is a difference in audio quality but given how loud this car is and all the NVH I doubt anyone could tell the difference. No offense to your Nano but it's not like it was a huge investment and it's pretty much obsolete now.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
BT streaming doesn't use that much battery unless your commute is like hours long. There is a difference in audio quality but given how loud this car is and all the NVH I doubt anyone could tell the difference. No offense to your Nano but it's not like it was a huge investment and it's pretty much obsolete now.
When we did our Euro Delivery in 2016 I bought an iPod Touch (I'm an Android guy) primarily to use the M Lap Timer at the three tracks that we drove. I also bought it as a dedicated music device for the car going forward. Because the Euro Nav is on a USB stick, during the trip I connected the iPod Touch with Bluetooth. I was extremely disappointed in the sound during the entire trip. It wasn't until I got the car back in the US and I was able to plug the Touch into the USB port in the console did I realize how crappy the sound is with a Bluetooth connection. This is particularly noticeable if you're listing to FLAC files on your music device.

The iPod nano is not an "obsolete device". It still functions perfectly fine in my 2006 Z4 M Roadster as a dedicated music device, much like the iPod Touch does in my M4.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
When we did our Euro Delivery in 2016 I bought an iPod Touch (I'm an Android guy) primarily to use the M Lap Timer at the three tracks that we drove. I also bought it as a dedicated music device for the car going forward. Because the Euro Nav is on a USB stick, during the trip I connected the iPod Touch with Bluetooth. I was extremely disappointed in the sound during the entire trip. It wasn't until I got the car back in the US and I was able to plug the Touch into the USB port in the console did I realize how crappy the sound is with a Bluetooth connection. This is particularly noticeable if you're listing to FLAC files on your music device.

The iPod nano is not an "obsolete device". It still functions perfectly fine in my 2006 Z4 M Roadster as a dedicated music device, much like the iPod Touch does in my M4.
Nano was discontinued a year ago. Last update to Touch was 2015. It's 2018. We have wireless charging and CarPlay. The cars don't even have an Aux port anymore. Guess you can always burn some CDs. Those are lossless format no? Then buy a sweet trunk mounted 6 disc changer. I dunno maybe this is a generational gap thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

6th gen nano worked fine in my 2017.
30 pin dock to usb cable. Can play and control via idrive.

I don't use it in the car but tried it out for the fun of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Yes BT in my car was much worse than wired. I don't know anything about the Nano, does it use a lightning/USB? I know if the cord is going bad, it will be sketchy. Before giving up all hope go buy a new Apple cord.

I have a Ipod Classic that has worked in my E92 and F80. Not sure of the differences between the two. Looks like Apple only sells Ipod touches now so I can't go look it up.

But the largest Nano is 16gb, the car has a 20 gb harddrive, so just drag the songs into the car. Unless you are constantly changing what is on the Nano. If that is the case, then just go find an Ipod Classic or a Touch.

EDIT: Nevermind, it says the 7th gen was 64gb.
Appreciate 0