ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Holy Crap! No engine coolant!

So I post a thread about how my Z was poorly assembled from the factory before.
My steering wheel isn't straight, although wheel alignments are correct, heater doesn't work and engine coolant is leaking ....

I need you guys' input on what I should say at the dealer tomorrow about the situation, so here's the story.

1. Low engine coolant light came on a day (or two) after I picked up the car but it wasn't always on (perhaps 50% of the driving time) and I let the salesman who I bought the car from know about this and asked that I would need to service my car.

2. I never had time to make a trip to that dealer, so I ended up going to the dealer right next to my house a week and a half later and filled up the coolant.

3. Same light came back on after #2 and thought light was malfuctioning as service guy who filled up the coolant said it doesn't appear to have a leaking problem.

4. So a week and a half passed and light is now constantly on, so today, I popped the hood and open up the coolant cap, and I see no coolant..... And with a flash light, I carefully looked through the engine bay and I notice puddle of liquid on the under tray which I initially thought as collected water from the rain. And I found out that it was the freaking coolant!!!!!

Based on these facts, what possible damage could have happened to my car?
I'm no expert at this kind of stuff so I want to know in detail of the possible damage caused by low to no coolant in the engine so I could ask for right service at the dealer.
This car is causing such a heache already and I'm very pissed that I have to make unnecessary trips to dealers with a brand new car.

Thanks in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
EdmM3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 635CSi, Z4, 330xi, 530i, E90M3

The important thing is if the engine was overheated.

Did you notice if the engine temperature was high, or of the light came on in the temp gage? If I was in a car with a low coolant light I would be watching the engine temperature like a hawk.

If the engine temperature did not heat up there probably isn't a big issue, and you are only arguing about bad service (from both the dealer and the factory).

If the engine has been over heated, you could have a problem. I'd be looking for increased oil consumption among other things.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
tzh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Gold in color

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorne@eba.ca View Post

Did you notice if the engine temperature was high, or of the light came on in the temp gage? If I was in a car with a low coolant light I would be watching the engine temperature like a hawk.

If the engine temperature did not heat up there probably isn't a big issue, and you are only arguing about bad service (from both the dealer and the factory).

If the engine has been over heated, you could have a problem. I'd be looking for increased oil consumption among other things.
Yes,you are absolutely correct !
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

so where is it leaking from?

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorne@eba.ca View Post

Yes, I did watch the engine temperature very closely and niddle always stayed at 1/2 point except two ore three time where it went over to 3/4 point for 1 sec and came back down to 1/2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH FO SHO View Post
so where is it leaking from?
I have no idea. But I assume right below the coolant cap, perhaps the hose is bad, as it's dripping onto a tray right underneath.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
I posted in your "Did I get a lemon?" thread... three strikes and its a lemon in NJ!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Not trying to kick you while you are down, but an owner has a responsibility, when they are warned, to have a problem looked at in a timely maner as described in the owners manual. Driving a car with a serious warning light on untill one gets around to having it looked at would be considered abuse by most manufactures, and rightly so. Just because some low life at the plant didn't put your car togeather correctly doesn't mean you should abuse it also. It's your property. Good luck to you, hope your car isn't damaged.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
Not trying to kick you while you are down, but an owner has a responsibility, when they are warned, to have a problem looked at in a timely maner as described in the owners manual. Driving a car with a serious warning light on untill one gets around to having it looked at would be considered abuse by most manufactures, and rightly so. Just because some low life at the plant didn't put your car togeather correctly doesn't mean you should abuse it also. It's your property. Good luck to you, hope your car isn't damaged.
I agree with you, but as I stated i my original post, guy who filled up my coolant at local BMW dealer informed me that my car was FINE and ok to drive, but get it serviced if light comes back on. And I do not have time to visit the dealer whenver light comes back on.
Appreciate 0