BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Occasional oil loss due to blow by anyone?

I have 188K miles on my tired engine. It is a 2008 purchased in 2010 with 22K miles on it.
At 47K miles I drove from Oregon to NJ during which I hit 50K and have been out of warranty. I made sure that I had a few quarts of oil with me on that trip because once in a while I would need to top off and besides, the manual states that it will need oil once in a while.

It was around 80K is when I picked up a pattern which lead to immediate oil loss. Sustained 80mph with cruise control for 10-15 minutes would result in a tiny bit of oil loss and 3 days of that to work, I'd likely notice a 1/8 decrease. These days it can go from full to plus 1 quart in 2 - 3 days at sustained speeds of 80+ (normal flow of traffic in some areas... go figure).

So for the past 4 months, I've only had to add a quart twice and only because I rev'd the heck out of it to have fun. I can still have fun below 7.8K but visiting it often will surely eat up oil.

I figured I'd share this as it may be helpful in some way. I really wonder she was experiencing a tiny bit of blow-by way back when she was 35K years old!

Other than this, the car has been bullet proof and I add serious miles. Ill likely join the 200K club.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Could it be oil burning more so than blow by? Unless you are supercharged I would not suspect that blow by is a big deal. I also burn some oil on long highway drives, but more like add a quart every 1000 miles. I would recommend you change your oil to one with a different set of additives. I stopped burning as much oil when I switched to motol 15w50

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Not due to oil burning. I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and saw a little black smoke and it was more than what I've seen say 100K miles ago where I would easily attribute it to blowing out some cobwebs by visiting 8,000rpms. So it has gotten worse.

I did notice how a fresh oil change burned less oil due to the normal oil burning nature of the engine. But again, this is different. It can no longer handle high revs because oil would get through the rings/seals or whatever the proper names are.

The magic spot to induce a fast burn leading to a visible drop is 80MPH in cruise control.
If I am half full, I can reach +1qt if I were drive any faster than that.
Appreciate 0