ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Freezing Bluetooth!?!?!?

Okay, so last week I went to my BMW dealer to get my M serviced because some things, like the central vent, were squeking, so they could replace it. They also changed the oil and provided me with the 4-digit code for the bluetooth system.

However, the guy asked me, what kind of phone I have (nokia n95 8gb) and warned me that, if I try to synchronize it through bluetooth, there is a possibility that (i think he said) the radio and the whole module might freeze, and these will have to be replaced and are not covered by the BMW warranty.

Have you guys ever heard of situations like that???
Or do you guys use phones that are not recommended by the BMW website and nothing happened to you???
Thanks in advance

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

That sounds like a load of BS

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
+1

A bluetooth connection is just that, a bluuetooth connection. Correct me if I am wrong but a wireless connection between two devices does not depend on the end devices, eg: the bluetooth device in the car and the phone being used.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHastings0826 View Post
+1

A bluetooth connection is just that, a bluuetooth connection. Correct me if I am wrong but a wireless connection between two devices does not depend on the end devices, eg: the bluetooth device in the car and the phone being used.
Well, it does a little. The hardware has to match specs, but the worst I can see happening is a bad connection.

If it does freeze everything you can remember that they are just electronics and when the power is cut completely there is no way for them to even store temporary memory (RAMish stuff). Therefore the freeze and bluetooth connection will both be dropped and it should go back to the way it was when you got the car.

I don't think I'd ever take electronics advise from a mechanic.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
On a technical note, Hawkeye, your saying that the Bluetooth memory is volatile? I could see where it would be on the car but in the phone, cauuse in a previous phone that I had, it was droped all the time and the battery flew out almost everytime. I would put the battery back in and check all the info that was stored on it and everything was there, including all my buddies with bluetooth that I had stored on the phone.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On a technical note, Hawkeye, your saying that the Bluetooth memory is volatile? I could see where it would be on the car but in the phone, cauuse in a previous phone that I had, it was droped all the time and the battery flew out almost everytime. I would put the battery back in and check all the info that was stored on it and everything was there, including all my buddies with bluetooth that I had stored on the phone.
Most phones have a type of flash harddrive to store information on. Those do not need power to hold information, just like a computer. It resets completely when you turn it off for 5 seconds because the RAM clears.

To illustrate my point, type a number into your phone but don't save it. Take the battery out, put it back in and see if that number is still on your phone. It gets cleared because you didn't save it to the long term memory, it was just on the RAM.

I know quite a bit about electronics and how they work... in the computer sense anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Most phones have a small CR2032 battery for just that reason in them that is non accessable.

Trust me, I have a BA in Computer Science... I know how these things work

Ah, ok. Not to down play your BA in Computer Science or your personal knowledge, but I think you have Phones and Personal Computers mixed up. I know that computers have the CR2032 battery to keep power to the BIOS and CMOS incase of a power outage or while the power is unpluged. I was referring to the mobile phone platform, with phones getting smaller and sleeker, where would there be room for a battery except the main one used for standard phone operation? At best it would be a watch battery cause I just dont see room for anything else in a mobile phone, IMHO.

You edited your post, thats not fair, Im trying to test my knowledge against yours.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Ah, ok. Not to down play your BA in Computer Science or your personal knowledge, but I think you have Phones and Personal Computers mixed up. I know that computers have the CR2032 battery to keep power to the BIOS and CMOS incase of a power outage or while the power is unpluged. I was referring to the mobile phone platform, with phones getting smaller and sleeker, where would there be room for a battery except the main one used for standard phone operation? At best it would be a watch battery cause I just dont see room for anything else in a mobile phone, IMHO.

You edited your post, thats not fair, Im trying to test my knowledge against yours.

Haha, I edited it because I realized right away I was illustrating the wrong point. My last 4 phones have been PDA phones and have had CR2032 batteries in them (excluding my Samsung Blase).

Brain farts are pretty common with me, sorry for that. Yes, most phones do not require a small battery because the BIOS are not that complicated (you do not change components or processor speed, ets.).

Real reason, information on a phone is stored in non-volatile memory. The only think stored on the RAM is current numebrs you are typing in, messages you ahve not sent or saved and what screen you are on.

If you want to oust my knowlegde you'll have to go new school as I am pretty good with everything that came out before 2006 (when I graduated) and I have been spending all of my time since studying high level mathematics... mainly for my job.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
lol, I understand now. cool, I wonder if the OP understood any of that,

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Yal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 2.5 Maldives Blue

by the way, a small cap, like a tantalum or electrolytic, will hold a charge and maintain your cmos memory on the phone for a while at least. I haven't had a real phone for years, my last bunch have all been either Blackberry or Treos. Not sure if they have a bios battery or not.
      07-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

Your cell phone bluetooth and BMW's bluetooth software needs to compatible or you may have intermittant problems. BMW has certified some phones as compatible. If you one that has not been 'approved' then you may have problems. The handfree/bluetooth in my M roadster is easy for me to hear but people report that there is a lot of echo and intermittant word loss so overall difficult for them to listen too. I am not sure where the mic is but I assume it above the rearview mirror. Top down operation makes me nearly impossible to hear while driving!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

My Bluetooth became un-synced (sp?) why would it do that?
I lost my code and dealer wants 50.00 to give it to me again.

Why not give me the code, what a pain... BMW gives customers free wiper blades, free oil changes, free food at the dealer, but they want 50.00 to make the phone work with the $45,000 car.
Makes ya wonder...

Anyone know a way to get the code for my car on a website or something? I don't mind the charge but it's a 60 mile round trip to the dealer again...

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZZZE View Post
Your cell phone bluetooth and BMW's bluetooth software needs to compatible or you may have intermittant problems. BMW has certified some phones as compatible. If you one that has not been 'approved' then you may have problems. The handfree/bluetooth in my M roadster is easy for me to hear but people report that there is a lot of echo and intermittant word loss so overall difficult for them to listen too. I am not sure where the mic is but I assume it above the rearview mirror. Top down operation makes me nearly impossible to hear while driving!
Actually I am pretty sure the Mic is the foamy thing right on top of the steering column (on or right behind the steering wheel)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mine worked fine for a year then got out of sync....

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Quote:
lol, I understand now. cool, I wonder if the OP understood any of that,
Yeah, it's kinda confusing.
But, if connect my phone, nothing should happen, I mean it's not going to freeze up, right???
But if something happens I can restart the battery and everyhting will be fine??

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #16
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Actually I am pretty sure the Mic is the foamy thing right on top of the steering column (on or right behind the steering wheel)
Nice to know but regardless it is pretty useless with the top down. I keep mine disconnected whenever the top is down.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
windwalker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
My Bluetooth became un-synced (sp?) why would it do that?
I lost my code and dealer wants 50.00 to give it to me again.

Why not give me the code, what a pain... BMW gives customers free wiper blades, free oil changes, free food at the dealer, but they want 50.00 to make the phone work with the $45,000 car.
Makes ya wonder...

Anyone know a way to get the code for my car on a website or something? I don't mind the charge but it's a 60 mile round trip to the dealer again...
I bought a used 2005 Z4 that did not have a manual or any paper work with the car. I found the Bluetooth code on the electronics box in the trunk behind the drivers seat. Just remove the back panel. You will have to raise the soft top compartment so don't forget to lower it before you try to drop your top.

Your top will totally ignore you without any kind of warning if you don't lower the compartment.
2006 Dodge Ram SRT-10 QC Viper
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
I bought a used 2005 Z4 that did not have a manual or any paper work with the car. I found the Bluetooth code on the electronics box in the trunk behind the drivers seat. Just remove the back panel. You will have to raise the soft top compartment so don't forget to lower it before you try to drop your top.

Your top will totally ignore you without any kind of warning if you don't lower the compartment.
Yeah, the pin should be on the bluetooth module itself in the trunk behind the driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #19
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Windwalker and Hawkeye, thank you for that tip...

is that Bluetooth code easy to find like on a label, or is it hard to find on that module---can you be specific...

also, on the soft top compartment, if the top is up that won't be a problem right? I need to get under there and see what you're talking about... I pulled the carpet back and installed my DICE unit near the Sirrius module before so maybe I can do this...

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
erdoran
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4si

I had a sheet of paper in the big black owner's manual holder that had the code on it on a label. I think it is something to do with your VIN, like the last 5 digits or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #21
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
The pin is 4 digits long.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #22
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Never got a specific answer on this, what does this module look like, is it easy to find or.....

Appreciate 0