BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
BimmerDKT
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 / 1998 E36 M3

Driveshaft or differential squeak on decel

Searched many threads but could not find the same symptoms.

E90 M3 - 6MT
Recently developed a squeak on low speed decel. Mostly happens when car is in gear, and acceleration is released. Cannot replicate sound under braking. It is a single squeak/chirp and is repeatable while driving at city speeds. Basically happens everytime I take my foot off the accelerator and the car is still in gear. Squeak is relatively low sounding, as in you cannot hear it with music turned on, or under hard acceleration. Sound is coming from the rear seat area, but hard to tell if it's from the driveshaft or the differential.

I crawled under the car and there is no play in the diff or the halfshafts. Driveshaft rotates freely without noise. Tried accelerating and lifting with the wheels in the air, but wasn't able to replicate the squeak. IOW it only squeaks when the car is under load.

Anyone fixed a similar issue? Car is probably due for transmission and diff fluid change, so I will replace both fluids and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
BimmerDKT
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 / 1998 E36 M3

Figured it out. Diff bolt loosened up. Found bolt only hand tight. Tightened down bolt and no more squeak.

Guess I can save the transmission and differential fluid swap for another weekend.
Appreciate 2
Theodore668.50
SaNGRia986.00