R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Battery storage questions on M4

Looking to keep the M4 in the heated garage this winter and store it. Temp in the garage is ~20C or ~80F
ANYTHING I SHOULD WORRY ABOUT?
I see the beast has a Lithium Ion battery and

" the new battery will essentially be able to monitor its own input voltage, current, and temperature in order to protect itself from potential damage. If the internal sensors see a voltage of over 14 volts or below a minimum threshold, it has the ability to isolate itself from the vehicle entirely. In theory the battery will be able to maintain its ideal operating voltage more easily and prevent any kind of issues that would lead to premature failure"

Sounds interesting but will it create problems if I try to use a 'tender' charger or do I even need one? I thought I'd better check before moving ahead.

I plan to roll the car about so that one part of the tire does not get flattened and increase the overall tire pressure...
I will plug up the exhaust pipes, use mothballs liberally and mouse traps.
Gas tank is full

Anything else?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Bubu88
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My F80 is stored during winter time. 3 bar pressure (dunno how much that is in psi) on the tires, a dry environment and a battery charger - that‘s all you need. I think the english key word is „trickle charger“ Just make sure you get one that can handle LiFePo Batteries! A „normal“ one designed for AGM Batteries will have too high voltage and might damage your battery.

My garage is clean and sealed so no need for mothballs, mouse traps etc.
I would just make sure that you drove it a bit longer before storing it so any condensed water in the exhaust system is gone
Appreciate 0