ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
kleinjesse
Rep
Drives: 03 z4 2.5i

custom turbo

so I've decided im going to do a custom turboon my 2.5. so im looking for a turbo manifold for an m54 engine and someone who can do custom programming in the va area. anyone got any suggestions???
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Custom manifolds can be welded up, you're going to have to go standalone ECU.
Not only will you need an exhaust manifold, you got a whole slew of stuff you need.

You sure this is such a good idea? The costs will very likely outweigh the benefits of just going with a supercharger kit.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
kleinjesse
Rep
Drives: 03 z4 2.5i

thankfully I have bunches of turbo stuff kinda laying around...turbos wastegates intercoolers. I can make my own piping and exhausts. the stand alone would be the only "costly" part of this project. but supercharger kit? I can see now I am going to have to research this some more. thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjesse View Post
thankfully I have bunches of turbo stuff kinda laying around...turbos wastegates intercoolers. I can make my own piping and exhausts. the stand alone would be the only "costly" part of this project. but supercharger kit? I can see now I am going to have to research this some more. thanks for the info
It is certainly doable, but there is a very high liklihood that the easiest way for you to run the turbo is to use a standalone ecu. Or find someone who knows how to program the ECU to create a profile for you, but I doubt there's a lot of people with that knowledge in VA. Seems all the hardcore tuners reside in Cali.

Keep in mind, it is by no means a small feat, especially going custom:

- Fuel Injectors
- Intake manifold
- Exhaust manifold
- turbo
- downpipe
- wastegate
- intercooler
- all associated piping
- oil lines to and from turbo, drainback into oilpan, etc...

and that's just the mechanical, you then need to look into electrical to HOPEFULLY use the stock ECU and have it reprogrammed.

If that fails you have to go standalone and you may need a different ignition system because you might not be able to run the stock coil packs.

Basically a lot of work and a lot of downtime.

have you considered EES Tuning for a supercharger kit? Personally I will be going this route myself.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0