ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 REx

Z4si Coupe vs. Z4 M Coupe

I'm just looking for a general comparo between these two beasts: upkeep costs, annual fuel costs, speeding ticket likelihood , performance differences, love to drive differences, etc.

I'm considering selling my lightly used '07 MINI Cooper S and getting one or the other as new or CPO'd in the next few months, but my local dealers almost never have coupes on the lot. I doubt roadsters would give me an accurate idea of the coupe.

Any tips? Will I be kicking myself in the ass within a month for going with the si when I could've have the ridiculously powerful M?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

This is a great question. I am asking myself the same thing right now.

I've tried to schedule a test drive of an M Coupe, just so I can 'cross it off my list'. My ego wants it, but my commute (1.8 miles) simply can't justify the extra cost.

A friend of mine has the SI and loves it, but has lingering regrets about not getting the M......
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I never drove the si coupe...but from what I gather it's a little less stiff than the ///M suspension and the steering is less sharp with the electric assist, and is more likely to tramline. Aside from that and the obvious power differences they're basically the same from a driving point a view.

I mostly went for the ///M for the asthetics of the car. The hood/bumper/ and quad exhaust are awesome.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I think it would come down to the difference in cost. If it is only $4-5k then go for the ///M, if the difference is greater like $10k and money is a factor for you, go with the Si. You will not be dissapointed, I absolutely love that engine! Some of the Si's also came with the M seats which is something I would look for if you decide to go that route. Good luck and keep us posted!
      07-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies. Both cars are gorgeous, and it's a tough choice. I do prefer the M's aesthetics and power so I can certainly understand your decision there Dammmittt, but I'm also a bit of an environmentally-minded person so fuel economy is a concern. Considering most M coupes will be in the range of 10k+ over the si, I'll probably go with the si for those reasons. Now here's hoping I can find one when the time comes!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVExotics View Post
Thanks for the replies. Both cars are gorgeous, and it's a tough choice. I do prefer the M's aesthetics and power so I can certainly understand your decision there Dammmittt, but I'm also a bit of an environmentally-minded person so fuel economy is a concern. Considering most M coupes will be in the range of 10k+ over the si, I'll probably go with the si for those reasons. Now here's hoping I can find one when the time comes!
If you go with the si, you can always buy the M bumper/hood later. The only downside there is you lose the si fogs.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
I recently purchased a brand new 07 Z4 coupe for $34.5k... it was sitting on the dealers lot for well over a year so I managed to get quite a deal on it. Anyways... I decided against the M for two reasons, both $$ related. I could have justified the nearly $10k extra... BUT insurance was substantially more (I'm 24) and those two factors ($10k + ins.) prohibitted the MZ4C.

Regardless, I've got the sport package and the M seats and I'm happy with my purchase. The car is plenty fast and handles great. Only complaint is that I wish it was similar to the M and didn't have RFTs.

Find a coupe, get a killer deal, and pull the trigger... M or not!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
to answer some of your other questions... I'm averaging 25mpg... 40% highway (mostly traffic tho) and 60% spirited driving in the city. Can't really beat the fuel economy... I could easily get 30+ mpg if I was strictly driving on the highway at the speed limit.

if you buy w/ CPO or new... upkeep shouldn't cost you a dime, at least not for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep

I've had a thing for these cars ever since I went and test drove my first MINI in late '07 and saw the roadsters on the lot. When I saw the first coupe, that was it. I knew as soon as I could afford it, that was going to be my car. I think the si will more than meet my requirements, and Kamal you make a great point about the insurance. The si will only be a little more than I'm paying for my MCS. Even though I'm now past the magic number 25, I can imagine the M would be a good deal more. Then there's the fuel economy, which with today's prices, becomes a major consideration.

So, I guess with that being said, anyone interested in a fuel sipping performance-lite machine in Chili Red?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
doug piston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVExotics View Post
I've had a thing for these cars ever since I went and test drove my first MINI in late '07 and saw the roadsters on the lot. When I saw the first coupe, that was it. I knew as soon as I could afford it, that was going to be my car. I think the si will more than meet my requirements, and Kamal you make a great point about the insurance. The si will only be a little more than I'm paying for my MCS. Even though I'm now past the magic number 25, I can imagine the M would be a good deal more. Then there's the fuel economy, which with today's prices, becomes a major consideration.

So, I guess with that being said, anyone interested in a fuel sipping performance-lite machine in Chili Red?
my insurance company told me that age 25 doesnt matter anymore. they still rape ya.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
to answer some of your other questions... I'm averaging 25mpg... 40% highway (mostly traffic tho) and 60% spirited driving in the city. Can't really beat the fuel economy... I could easily get 30+ mpg if I was strictly driving on the highway at the speed limit.

if you buy w/ CPO or new... upkeep shouldn't cost you a dime, at least not for a few years.
If you plan to drive the car for 50k miles or more in the first 4 years during the warranty/free maintenance period, fuel mileage is pretty much no longer an issue between the Z4M & regular Z4. With the Z4M, getting worse gas mileage actually ensures you would reach inspection 2 before the warranty expires - inspection 2 costs around $1500~$2200 depending on your local stealers. So in that case you get inspection 2 for free. People might even come out ahead with the Z4M.

It's extremely rare for a regular Z4 to reach inspection 2 during the free maintenance period - and when that happens, it's because the owner drives the car hard and in turn gets bad gas mileage; so that whole argument is null.

Last edited by GP20; 07-09-2008 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep

Ah, didn't think about that GP20, thanks for pointing it out. This will be my first BMW, so I'm a virgin in that area as it were.

I'm undecided on whether I want to buy or lease. I tend to drive more than the average (I have 14k mi on my MCS and have had it since early January, though that counts two largish road trips), so I'm not sure I could stay under the mileage restrictions of a lease. Do most of your buy or lease your cars? And what was your reasoning either way?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

I was looking at an si until they started all the discounts last year. I test drove an automatic si, and I thought it very quick, and the dealership has a test course out back thay they drive you around at speed, and I was sold on the car. When they discounts started getting really big I decided to jump up to the ///M I love it, but if I had to pay close to sticker I would have been more than happy with the si. The M does handle better, look a little better, and go a little faster at the extremes. The seats and steering are much better, but both cars need better tires. At 4600 miles and a bunch of autox events I'm needing new tires all around and looking forward to the car coming alive with grippier tires

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
iamwiz82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d / 2012 MCS JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
If you plan to drive the car for 50k miles or more in the first 4 years during the warranty/free maintenance period, fuel mileage is pretty much no longer an issue between the Z4M & regular Z4. With the Z4M, getting worse gas mileage actually ensures you would reach inspection 2 before the warranty expires - inspection 2 costs around $1500~$2200 depending on your local stealers. So in that case you get inspection 2 for free. People might even come out ahead with the Z4M.

It's extremely rare for a regular Z4 to reach inspection 2 during the free maintenance period - and when that happens, it's because the owner drives the car hard and in turn gets bad gas mileage; so that whole argument is null.
I am 26 and my Z4 M is pretty much the same price as my Miata or every other car I have had in the past 2 years (I think it's $10 more than the Miata). I'm married, however.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug piston View Post
my insurance company told me that age 25 doesnt matter anymore. they still rape ya.
They lie. I have a 3.0si and LOVE IT! But now that I have a much much shorter commute to work I wish I could trade 15 MPG for 75 HP.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0