R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
XCIIIF82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

MPE or Akrapovic?

As above.. would you guys prefer MPE or Akrapovic? With catless downpipes..

I am running a catless downpipe setup + gutted mid and rear MPE. Mixed feelings.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

MPE

Akra sounds awful in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
MPE has an very metallic tone to it from the get go. Unless you like your exhausts as loud and metallic ring to it as possible, I would avoid MPE unless you pair it with AA to minimize that metallic sound. It depends on what you have done for mid pipes. Your description of gutted mid has different meaning depending on what you did.

Making a car louder doesn't make it sound better, contrary to popular belief. I have moved my Akra Evo from my standard M4 to my ZCP M3 and it sounds way better w/ ZCP.

I have heard full Akra Evo w/ Akra DPs, it's one of the few that isn't overly annoying on the S55 by default, aside from full AA setup. MPE just sounds too irritating w/o AA mid to minimize that metallic tone. The F8x isn't the E46, it doesn't sound better having that metallic ring to it.
      11-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
XCIIIF82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
MPE has an very metallic tone to it from the get go. Unless you like your exhausts as loud and metallic ring to it as possible, I would avoid MPE unless you pair it with AA to minimize that metallic sound. It depends on what you have done for mid pipes. Your description of gutted mid has different meaning depending on what you did.

Making a car louder doesn't make it sound better, contrary to popular belief. I have moved my Akra Evo from my standard M4 to my ZCP M3 and it sounds way better w/ ZCP.

I have heard full Akra Evo w/ Akra DPs, it's one of the few that isn't overly annoying on the S55 by default, aside from full AA setup. MPE just sounds too irritating w/o AA mid to minimize that metallic tone. The F8x isn't the E46, it doesn't sound better having that metallic ring to it.
I did my gutted mid - Cutted open, welded a straight pipe through and closed it back.

I agree on the metallic ring, thats exactly whats making me have mixed feelings on MPE.

Will changing my midpipe to AA minimize the metallic tone by default?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Akrapovic. I have the slip-on and it sounds similar to E46. I recently purchased a AA style midpipe and will sound awesome once the stock resonator is off.

No crack issue is a plus
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Refined
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Akrapovic, no question. MPE is good, but Akra is serious kit. Unfortunately the price reflects the difference too so it will probably be MPE for me.

I've used Akra full systems for years on my sport bikes and their stuff is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
XCIIIF82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Akrapovic. I have the slip-on and it sounds similar to E46. I recently purchased a AA style midpipe and will sound awesome once the stock resonator is off.

No crack issue is a plus
Would love to see some sound videos!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:29 AM   #8
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCIIIF82 View Post
I did my gutted mid - Cutted open, welded a straight pipe through and closed it back.

I agree on the metallic ring, thats exactly whats making me have mixed feelings on MPE.

Will changing my midpipe to AA minimize the metallic tone by default?
The problem with straight piping a MPE setup, is you are essentially exaggerating the metallic tone even more. Depending on what you are looking for, it's either good or bad. Considering your posts, I would assume it to be bad and you put Downpipes on.

AA Midpipe is fitted to a lot of different F8x exhaust setup because it mellows out that metallic ring the F8x tend to have unless you are running Akrapovic or AA. Remus maybe, but Remus (Catback) is one of the most aggressive setups you can do and also drones ever slightly (I had it before, I know it's there.)

I would always get Akra over any OEM setup if I could because Akra's quality is better than OEM. If Akra built the MPE for the F8x, than MPE would have never have the cracking issues that has been constantly popping up on the forums here for the past 2 years.
      11-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #9
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Replacing the secondary cats with resonators would decrease drone and metallic tone.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
MPE FTW

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
hooligan317
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 - YMB ZCP DCT

UPS (aka Santa) just dropped off the Akra slip-on and midpipes yesterday. Hoping to get time to do the install this weekend!

Where I live there isn't a lot of opportunity to hear the systems in person. I feel like YouTube clips only tell part of the story so I went with Akra because I can count on the quality and odds seem slim that I won't like it.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
As above.. would you guys prefer MPE or Akrapovic? With catless downpipes..

I am running a catless downpipe setup + gutted mid and rear MPE. Mixed feelings.
Question about sound, looks or showing off brand?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Remus 😂😂😂
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #14
XCIIIF82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The problem with straight piping a MPE setup, is you are essentially exaggerating the metallic tone even more. Depending on what you are looking for, it's either good or bad. Considering your posts, I would assume it to be bad and you put Downpipes on.

AA Midpipe is fitted to a lot of different F8x exhaust setup because it mellows out that metallic ring the F8x tend to have unless you are running Akrapovic or AA. Remus maybe, but Remus (Catback) is one of the most aggressive setups you can do and also drones ever slightly (I had it before, I know it's there.)

I would always get Akra over any OEM setup if I could because Akra's quality is better than OEM. If Akra built the MPE for the F8x, than MPE would have never have the cracking issues that has been constantly popping up on the forums here for the past 2 years.
Yes its actually pretty bad with the metallic tone, yes it is insanely loud, but if i can remove the metallic tone, that will make it a whole lot better.

Agreed on the cracking issue, makes me worry too. Once its cracked, its basically useless.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #15
XCIIIF82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
Replacing the secondary cats with resonators would decrease drone and metallic tone.
Im thinking to go for the AA Midpipe like Arcades said, that it can reduce the metallic tone and still sound loud.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #16
XCIIIF82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan317 View Post
UPS (aka Santa) just dropped off the Akra slip-on and midpipes yesterday. Hoping to get time to do the install this weekend!

Where I live there isn't a lot of opportunity to hear the systems in person. I feel like YouTube clips only tell part of the story so I went with Akra because I can count on the quality and odds seem slim that I won't like it.
Akra will sound good, its deep and bassy, i heard it in person. Personally loved it too, hence this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #17
XCIIIF82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Question about sound, looks or showing off brand?
Alot more on sound!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #18
Dan@AutoTalent
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E36 M3

Akra all the way!

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #19
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Akra will sound good, its deep and bassy, i heard it in person. Personally loved it too, hence this thread.
The thing with videos happens to be, you don't get the full picture of how an exhaust sounds like. Never decide an exhaust based on videos, it doesn't do it justice especially on a F8x.

I was lucky enough that I followed Justin from AutoTalent around enough that I heard close to every setup you can. (Perks of being in LA tbh) I wrote off MPE very early on because of that metallic tone. If the video of MPE already gives you enough hints of it being this, metallic ringing/tone, then you can imagine how it will be with straight pipes + downpipes. If you want to keep MPE, put AA mid on it, it will definitely help.

Otherwise, do Akra Evo and you will never hear that again. Once the Akra breaks in, it gets deep and bassy. MPE will mellow out a bit if you leave it alone but since you straight pipe + downpipe that won't happen.
      11-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #20
XCIIIF82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The thing with videos happens to be, you don't get the full picture of how an exhaust sounds like. Never decide an exhaust based on videos, it doesn't do it justice especially on a F8x.

I was lucky enough that I followed Justin from AutoTalent around enough that I heard close to every setup you can. (Perks of being in LA tbh) I wrote off MPE very early on because of that metallic tone. If the video of MPE already gives you enough hints of it being this, metallic ringing/tone, then you can imagine how it will be with straight pipes + downpipes. If you want to keep MPE, put AA mid on it, it will definitely help.

Otherwise, do Akra Evo and you will never hear that again. Once the Akra breaks in, it gets deep and bassy. MPE will mellow out a bit if you leave it alone but since you straight pipe + downpipe that won't happen.
Thats true, videos always does not make any justice for the exhaust, thats why i am still quite worrying about putting on AA Midpipe, afraid that it will not make much a difference,

Will it significantly change the tone of the MPE with the AA Midpipe?
P/S - I want to keep my catless DPs.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #21
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thats true, videos always does not make any justice for the exhaust, thats why i am still quite worrying about putting on AA Midpipe, afraid that it will not make much a difference,

Will it significantly change the tone of the MPE with the AA Midpipe?
P/S - I want to keep my catless DPs.
if you are keeping catless, then it will be loud but AA will mellow the metallic tone enough. I'm fairly certain Justin.AutoTalent as it was one of his setups before. He should have the video around, or it should be on the forums here since I have seen him post it multiple times.

The MPE characteristic will be there still because it is MPE but it won't be nearly as bad w/ AA mid. If you are doing just MPE w/ AA mid and Stock DPs, it would be much better. Catless DP will bring that metallic ring back a tad bit. But that is also because I'm rather sensitive to these noises, I am very picky.
      11-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #22
awhk
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 SBM

Akra FTW! Well worth it just for the craftsmanship, let alone the sound. It definitely sounds a bit like E46 with the valves opened.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0