BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
nlam13
NGL
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 Alpine White

Suggestions for catless x-pipe to go with OEM exhaust mod.

I'm looking at catless x pipes to install to go with my OEM exhaust mod by EAS. I'm looking for something that is 100% reversible to pass smog, and so far I've only found the Macht Schnell Race x-pipe. Does anyone have feedback on how MS x-pipe sounds with an OEM mod or have any better suggestions?

2010 E92 M3 DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Borla with four resontators, acm mod with ms or gintani x pipe will be loud as f*ck

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBY B View Post
I'm looking at catless x pipes to install to go with my OEM exhaust mod by EAS. I'm looking for something that is 100% reversible to pass smog, and so far I've only found the Macht Schnell Race x-pipe. Does anyone have feedback on how MS x-pipe sounds with an OEM mod or have any better suggestions?
Bimmerworld has specials on their x pipes. Check them out.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have the 2 pipe mod and I think I'm going the test pipes route. I hope it doesn't sound like garbage.... but I've heard some people say it's great.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
I have the 2 pipe mod and I think I'm going the test pipes route. I hope it doesn't sound like garbage.... but I've heard some people say it's great.
I had the 4 pipe mod with test pipes. Loved it. But, to be honest, I wish I didn't chop up my OEM x pipe for test pipes. Unless you live in a state without emissions testing of course. I had to purchase an extra OEM x pipe just for inspection. If you can swing it, buy an aftermarket x pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #6
nlam13
NGL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
I had the 4 pipe mod with test pipes. Loved it. But, to be honest, I wish I didn't chop up my OEM x pipe for test pipes. Unless you live in a state without emissions testing of course. I had to purchase an extra OEM x pipe just for inspection. If you can swing it, buy an aftermarket x pipe.
I'm avoiding test pipes since I life in California. I would prefer a setup that is 100% completely reversible to pass emissions.

Quote:
Bimmerworld has specials on their x pipes. Check them out.
I love how my OEM exhaust mod sounds, it really crisp and smooth. What I don't want after the cat delete is lots of rasp. I want the same crisp and smooth sound.

2010 E92 M3 DCT

Last edited by nlam13; 11-22-2018 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBY B View Post
Quote:
I'm avoiding test pipes since I life in California. I would prefer a setup that is 100% completely reversible to pass emissions.
Look at the bimmerworld x pipe. Around $850 shipped for their resonated version with BF coupon.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Exhaust mod with any sort of xpipe modifications sounds way too loud AND unrefined IMHO
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 6 spd

Dinan, Borla, or Topspeed quad resonated x pipes. Topspeed would be the most affordable and Dinan is the rarest. I believe the Topspeed resonators are placed closer to the headers and are smaller.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Exhaust mod with any sort of xpipe modifications sounds way too loud AND unrefined IMHO
So your saying if I get test pipes with a modest 2 pipe oem
Mod it will sound too loud? Was thinking of doing this
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #11
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Quote:
So your saying if I get test pipes with a modest 2 pipe oem
Mod it will sound too loud? Was thinking of doing this
I've been researching this a lot... some say it's too loud, but I haven't heard proof they have had it or have it.... so could be speculative on their part. I have read a whole lot of people who have the OEM mod with test pipes that love it.. I am going to give it a try and see.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #12
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E92

i have the Macht Schnell x pipe with the OEM mod (not sure of the version) but it sounds great at WOT and low at cruising speed (while on flat surfaces). Its more of a deep sound at cruising speeds but once it revs up it becomes intense and high pitched. All my friends love it but if you're older and want to keep a low profile at times it may not be for you (maybe a valved system would be better).
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881105.00
Iyzmi802.00
      11-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
I've been researching this a lot... some say it's too loud, but I haven't heard proof they have had it or have it.... so could be speculative on their part. I have read a whole lot of people who have the OEM mod with test pipes that love it.. I am going to give it a try and see.
Count me in as someone who has the ACM exhaust mod with test pipes and loves it. Almost as quiet as stock while cruising and loud when you want it to be.

Quote:
Purely opinion, but what you call loud and unrefined, I call raw unadulterated S65 goodness. I've gotten nothing but compliments on my setup. It's also not loud at all until you're goosing it past 4k. After that it's about as loud as any other free-flowing race exhaust setup, just with more rasp which sounds savage to me (in a good way). I was expecting to purchase a new rear section after installing my test pipes based on most of what I've read but ended up not needing to.

This is my favorite video to share on this topic, it does a great job illustrating the rasp people talk about. The high pitch note of the white car sounds so much better than the low bassy drone of the black car IMO.

11-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Quote:
Count me in as someone who has the ACM exhaust mod with test pipes and loves it. Almost as quiet as stock while cruising and loud when you want it to be.

Quote:
Purely opinion, but what you call loud and unrefined, I call raw unadulterated S65 goodness. I've gotten nothing but compliments on my setup. It's also not loud at all until you're goosing it past 4k. After that it's about as loud as any other free-flowing race exhaust setup, just with more rasp which sounds savage to me (in a good way). I was expecting to purchase a new rear section after installing my test pipes based on most of what I've read but ended up not needing to.

This is my favorite video to share on this topic, it does a great job illustrating the rasp people talk about. The high pitch note of the white car sounds so much better than the low bassy drone of the black car IMO.

yeah the ACM mod has good reviews.... but the 2 pipe mod is the one I have and I am curious if it's that much different with test pipes? but I'm encouraged by your review and I am going to do it for sure!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #15
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yeah the ACM mod has good reviews.... but the 2 pipe mod is the one I have and I am curious if it's that much different with test pipes? but I'm encouraged by your review and I am going to do it for sure!
2 pipe is marginally quieter than ACM. I'm sure it would sound similar. Go for it.
      11-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #16
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
2 pipe is marginally quieter than ACM. I'm sure it would sound similar. Go for it.
Awesome, thanks. probably going to go for Turner test pipes given the deal
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #17
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What's the deal? Rogue sells non-resonated TPs for $250. Hard to beat.
      11-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #18
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What's the deal? Rogue sells non-resonated TPs for $250. Hard to beat.
Sorry "deal" as in cheaper than what I could find, but good to know about non resonated... any key differences between the two? sound is better with resonated and how can I find those sound clips vs Turner or Rougue?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry "deal" as in cheaper than what I could find, but good to know about non resonated... any key differences between the two? sound is better with resonated and how can I find those sound clips vs Turner or Rougue?
No difference in sound or performance between one brand's test pipes vs another's. As far as resonated vs non-resonated, check out this thread:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475665
      12-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #20
nlam13
NGL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazty Naze One! View Post
i have the Macht Schnell x pipe with the OEM mod (not sure of the version) but it sounds great at WOT and low at cruising speed (while on flat surfaces). Its more of a deep sound at cruising speeds but once it revs up it becomes intense and high pitched. All my friends love it but if you're older and want to keep a low profile at times it may not be for you (maybe a valved system would be better).
Do you happen to have any sound clips of your setup? I'm pretty young and this is my weekend car so I can afford to have an impractical car.

2010 E92 M3 DCT
Appreciate 0