BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
polar993
Legend
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 Gran Coupe

Akrapovic Exhaust for Alpina B6 Gran Coupe

I am trying to find the OEM part number for the Akrapovic exhaust that comes as an OEM option on the Alpina B6 Gran Coupe that is sold in Europe. It is not an option for US cars.

Anyone in Europe that can help me? The dealers here in the US do not have access to that part number and cannot order the part for me.

Akrapovic USA, only sells the aftermarket exhausts and they do not have a direct fitment for the Alpina B6 Gran Coupe. Vivid Racing accidentally sold me the wrong aftermarket Akrapovic exhaust and it didn’t fit my car. It was for the M6, and would not fit!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Contact alpina in Germany directly, they are extremely nice and are very helpful. I think the guys name was Jonathan, I will try to find his contact info.

Edit - - - sent pm with contact info
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar993 View Post
I am trying to find the OEM part number for the Akrapovic exhaust that comes as an OEM option on the Alpina B6 Gran Coupe that is sold in Europe. It is not an option for US cars.

Anyone in Europe that can help me? The dealers here in the US do not have access to that part number and cannot order the part for me.

Akrapovic USA, only sells the aftermarket exhausts and they do not have a direct fitment for the Alpina B6 Gran Coupe. Vivid Racing accidentally sold me the wrong aftermarket Akrapovic exhaust and it didn’t fit my car. It was for the M6, and would not fit!
Is the akra you bought for a M6 GC?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Contact alpina in Germany directly, they are extremely nice and are very helpful. I think the guys name was Jonathan, I will try to find his contact info.

Edit - - - sent pm with contact info
Thanks so much! I will try them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
Is the akra you bought for a M6 GC?
Yes, apparently the Akrapovic distributor here in the US thought it would fit! It’s a beautiful system that is super lightweight! I would really like to get the Akrapovic over Meistershaft, Supersprint, Eisenmann, etc. but I may not have that option.

Anyone here have experience with Meistershaft? The GTC system looks nice, but uses a switch to control the valve, instead of the oem vacuum system like the Akrapovic.

This is a pic of the Akrapovic as it was attempted to be installed.

https://m.imgur.com/a/lf8uFif

Last edited by polar993; 01-27-2019 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

I have a 650i Meisterschaft I took off and will be selling.

The valves on mine were utter garbage. they used plain mild steel so it rusted quickly, and the motors didn't have enough oomph to actuatt new and only got worse.

The build quality is very good, but really not as nice as the Akro. When I took mine off after being on a couple years there are very small leaks developing from the welds. Nothing I was worried about, but it's something.

Sound was terrific, but I had to keep the trans in sport mode to keep the revs up to prevent drone on the highway. Lots of good things to say for the sound.

Cold starts when the turbos are bypassed it was maybe a little too loud for 5 ayem.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

interesting decision. Your car will sound very similar to an M6 with an Akra.
      02-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post

The valves on mine were utter garbage. they used plain mild steel so it rusted quickly, and the motors didn't have enough oomph to actuatt new and only got worse.

The build quality is very good, but really not as nice as the Akro. When I took mine off after being on a couple years there are very small leaks developing from the welds. Nothing I was worried about, but it's something.

Sound was terrific, but I had to keep the trans in sport mode to keep the revs up to prevent drone on the highway. Lots of good things to say for the sound.

Cold starts when the turbos are bypassed it was maybe a little too loud for 5 ayem.
My situation with the exhaust purchase for my Alpina B6 got a bit more complicated.

Akrapovic’s US distributor sent me the wrong exhaust. They sent me the M6 Gran Coupe exhaust, which isn’t even close to matched fitment. I have since returned that unit to them and asked if they can source the OEM Akrapovic exhaust that comes as a factory option on European Alpina B6 Gran Coupes. Apparently they cannot source that OEM part, and I even tried to purchase that exhaust directly from Alpina, but due to import regulations, it cannot be shipped to the US! Akrapovic is off the table unfortunately.

I’ve been looking into the Meistershaft GTC system, and speaking with Tim at GTHaus (great guy). They have a system for the 650i Xdrive Gran Coupe but it’s not 100% compatible with my car. The front section and x-pipe should be a direct fitment, but the tips coming off the rear muffler will not fit due to the design of the rear lower valance on the Alpina differing from the 650i. That means I would need to modify the exhaust tips and extension to the rear mufflers to get it to fit. Might be a bit of a hassle!

Now that I see Murph’s post about his experience with the Meistershaft, I am a bit concerned over the quality of that system. I am shocked to hear that the welds are starting to deteriorate and the valve system is not functioning. That’s ridiculous for a system that costs over $7000! The sound quality seems to be good, but it’s very disappointing to hear that the overall craftsmanship and durability of the product is not there.

I’m really torn about what to do at this point. What do you guys think about a rear muffler delete? I know I won’t have any control of the sound, but do you think this should be a consideration? Will it be too loud?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post

Murph, was there drone on the highway with the valves closed? Or were you not even able to close the valves due to the corrosion and lack of motor power?

How old is your system?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Hi Polar,

I am not an expert with exhaust sys but at least here in Europe in general I have always heard good things about Supersprint and they are known and very popular:

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/su...ran-coupe.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/Supersprint/
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

There's a reason you bought the Alpina over the M6. You should keep on the stock exhaust. The Alpina has a very unique sound that's unlike the M6 or the 650. What you're doing is making your car sound like a 650/M6. Kind of out of character for the car IMO.

Also, I think any exhaust that fits a 650 GC should fit your car. There's an off the shelf Eisenmann that'll do just fine, no? Are you looking for a full system? https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=B5424.00904
      02-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

The issue here is that the "good" or right sounding Alpina B6 in Europe spots the Akra system while the same B6 sent to the US does not. Thus the user, buyer feels the car has been stripped of a vital component that is one of the car's trademarks. At the end of the day the NON-Akra (on US Alpina B6 models) mounted exhaust is in this scenario a downgrade when compared to the original system (by Akra). I suppose that is amongst other what the buyer thinks but correct me if I am wrong.

Indeed Eisenmann is a very good suggestion and very popular (with a good repu) amongst car enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 02:26 AM   #13
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
My situation with the exhaust purchase for my Alpina B6 got a bit more complicated.

Akrapovic’s US distributor sent me the wrong exhaust. They sent me the M6 Gran Coupe exhaust, which isn’t even close to matched fitment. I have since returned that unit to them and asked if they can source the OEM Akrapovic exhaust that comes as a factory option on European Alpina B6 Gran Coupes. Apparently they cannot source that OEM part, and I even tried to purchase that exhaust directly from Alpina, but due to import regulations, it cannot be shipped to the US! Akrapovic is off the table unfortunately.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
You cannot import the exhaust or they cannot export it due to any regulations?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
You cannot import the exhaust or they cannot export it due to any regulations?
This is the message I received from Alpina. Seems like they have had similar requests in the past and have run into issues.

Dear Tom,

Many thanks for your email and enquiry.

In Europe we offered an OEM ALPINA Titanium Exhaust System made by Akrapovic as a factory option but not as an aftermarket accessory.

However, this was never homologated for application in the USA. Subsequently we had a similar enquiry almost a year ago which led me to go to great length to investigate the possibility of shipping this system to the USA.

In the end it turned out this is not possible since the required labelling and certification relating to customs import and documentation required by the USA DOT does not exist.

I am very sorry that we are not able to make this work for the above reasons.

We hope you continue to enjoy the driving experience of your BMW ALPINA B6 Gran Coupé!

Sncerely,
Jonathan Ganser

www.ALPINA.de / Configurator / Facebook / YouTube / www.ALPINAWEIN.de

ALPINA
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #15
polar993
Legend
Rep

The Alpina B6 Gran Coupe fitted with the OEM Akrapovic exhaust sounds great, and unfortunately the US B6 with the standard exhaust sounds NOTHING like it. The standard exhaust is very subdued, even in Sport mode. There’s actually only one valve for the standard system, which is on the driver’s side muffler. I can’t even tell the difference with the valve opened vs closed....it’s very quiet.

Previous to the B6, my daily driver was a Panamera GTS with a Fabspeed x-pipe. That car sounded amazing! Very loud and aggressive with the valves open, but quite tame and subdued when closed. There was absolutely no drone in the cabin.

I also have an E60 M5 (seen in the background in one of my posts of the B6) with an Eisenmann Race rear muffler. That car also sounds great and really makes the V10 scream!

My B6 is my daily driver and I prefer to have a valve controlled exhaust. The Eisenmann system is not valve controlled and I don’t know if it can be retrofitted to have valves. If it cannot, it probably won’t be a consideration because I don’t want the car to be loud all the time, and I definitely don’t want the chance of having drone in the cabin at highway speeds.

Not sure what to do!

In the meantime, my mechanic is finishing the installation of the H&R height adjustable springs. I’ll post some photos when I get the car back.

Last edited by polar993; 02-02-2019 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #16
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
This is the message I received from Alpina. Seems like they have had similar requests in the past and have run into issues.

Dear Tom,

Many thanks for your email and enquiry.

In Europe we offered an OEM ALPINA Titanium Exhaust System made by Akrapovic as a factory option but not as an aftermarket accessory.

However, this was never homologated for application in the USA. Subsequently we had a similar enquiry almost a year ago which led me to go to great length to investigate the possibility of shipping this system to the USA.

In the end it turned out this is not possible since the required labelling and certification relating to customs import and documentation required by the USA DOT does not exist.

I am very sorry that we are not able to make this work for the above reasons.

We hope you continue to enjoy the driving experience of your BMW ALPINA B6 Gran Coupé!

Sncerely,
Jonathan Ganser
The same problem we face with almost every item coming from the outside of the EU. I would suggest that you talk to the customs and ask if you allowed to import that exhaust for show purposes only. Alpina is a company you are a private person there are differences in customs regulations.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS604.50
      02-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #17
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
The same problem we face with almost every item coming from the outside of the EU. I would suggest that you talk to the customs and ask if you allowed to import that exhaust for show purposes only. Alpina is a company you are a private person there are differences in customs regulations.
I went back and forth with Jonathan from Alpina, and it doesn’t seem like they are willing to jump through hoops to accommodate me. They weren’t rude about it, they simply said they tried in the past and it is not doable.

Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #18
polar993
Legend
Rep

Attached are pics of the Alpina with the height adjustable springs. I posted these in another thread as well. I need to raise the front and lower the rear a bit, but I’m going to wait till the springs settle a bit before making those adjustments. I’ll also be installing 10mm spacers front and rear. I’m thinking of going with the Turner Motorsport spacers.

I’m really starting to like the Alpina. The car looks and drives great!

Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4986.00
      02-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #19
Lincoln30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Seems like there must be way around this. I like if you have a friend in Europe that Alpina would sell the part to. Then the friend can ship you the exhaust as a used part. Not sure that would work but probably worth a checking into. Obviously, the "friend" would not tell Alpina he was buying the exhaust for export.
Past BMWs: E30 323i, E36 325is, E36 M3, E46 M3, E39 M5, E46 325i, E90 335i, F80 M3, F87 M2
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #20
polar993
Legend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln30 View Post
Seems like there must be way around this. I like if you have a friend in Europe that Alpina would sell the part to. Then the friend can ship you the exhaust as a used part. Not sure that would work but probably worth a checking into. Obviously, the "friend" would not tell Alpina he was buying the exhaust for export.
That is a great idea. Unfortunately I don’t have any friends who live in Europe who could do this for me.

It’s a lot to ask, but is there anyone on this forum that would consider doing this for me? You would need to buy the exhaust and ship it to me. I would pay all the costs, and I would express my gratitude in some form of a gift!

If anyone is interested, please DM me.

Thanks,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #21
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I was one of the ones here in the states that tried to get the Akra system here last year for my B6. Jonathan sent me a similar email almost a year ago. I've asked a local dealership here if they can find a way around the customs issue and they are still trying but I doubt it will happen. I'm also looking at the Eisenmann sport exhaust (vs race) because it seems like a better fit for the B6 whereas the race is for a M car or someone wanting their car to sound like a M car. The one benefit is the Eisenmann exhaust is substantially cheaper than Akra. Hell, I even thought about flying over to Europe and purchasing it myself, then ship it to one of my friends in Mexico and go pick it up there. However, a $8k exhaust then turns into a $10-$12k exhaust. Not worth the money or logistical gymnastics IMHO. Good luck and I will keep you posted if I find some way to get the Akra here.
      02-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Here is a video of it running.

The quality is pretty good - the issue is that they just charge way too much for it. The akro is in a different league (and is also a good bit more).

The guys at GT Haus are nice guys, but certainly tell you what you want to hear sometimes at the expense of reality. My e60 550i took a long time to get, but my 650's took about a month iirc. Both were supposed to be pretty fast.

The valves never did work quite perfect. With the valves closed it was a little sportier than stock. I remember the valves being a little louder than the stock setup with it's valves open.

It was nice to be able to control the valves with a remote and be able to partially open them.

To be clear here. Once I got sued to the exhaust I left it open all the time. The valves were such a hassle I wasn't sure if both were ever open, or one was stuck. I will take some photos of it and post them.

- Mike

Appreciate 0