GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
ad4m
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' BMW M4

Garage List
2014 535 xi  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4 Coupe  [0.00]
Exhaust Rattle

I have a full remus exhaust and it would only rattle a lilttle bit on a cold start. After adding Downpipes(Gintani) and a tune it no longer rattles during start up but it will rattle if trying to accelerate in a high gear or if im in basically anything but everything Sport Plus with shifter on 3rd setting(dct) and still sometimes it will rattle. I have put washers on the exhaust brace but it seems like the sound its coming from the muffler area. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

It's probably the result of the increase flow creating more pressure on the valves causing them to bounce.

Do you have the non-resonated mid pipe, resonated, or active Autowerke mid pipe?
Appreciate 1
ad4m21.00
      02-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
ad4m
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 535 xi  [0.00]
Full Remus Non Res. Is there a fix? Also if i rev the engine while not moving there is no rattle
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad4m View Post
Full Remus Non Res. Is there a fix? Also if i rev the engine while not moving there is no rattle
There is no fix, I recommend switching to the resonated or non resonated mid pipe.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1205141

Here are a couple clips of the remus with active. I would highly advise towards this route:

Appreciate 1
ad4m21.00
      02-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
NTMR_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola Red M3 ZCP

I had the same issue as above, except mine WAS with the Remus setup. Same thing, it would rattle terribly on cold starts and low RPMs under load. Noise came from the muffler area, so it wasn't my Mids hitting the center brace. Contacted a Remus advisor who said the springs for the valves may not be doing their "tensioning" job correctly and he said I he would have replacement springs sent out.
About a week later a full brand new exhaust showed up no my door step (Awesome customer service) and once installed it resolved all rattling issues.
Id make sure all bolts are tight and no loose rattling washers, then ensure you are hitting the heat shield above the muffler, then maybe check the valves and see if they have too much play
Appreciate 1
ad4m21.00
      02-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
ad4m
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 535 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMR_M3 View Post
I had the same issue as above, except mine WAS with the Remus setup. Same thing, it would rattle terribly on cold starts and low RPMs under load. Noise came from the muffler area, so it wasn't my Mids hitting the center brace. Contacted a Remus advisor who said the springs for the valves may not be doing their "tensioning" job correctly and he said I he would have replacement springs sent out.
About a week later a full brand new exhaust showed up no my door step (Awesome customer service) and once installed it resolved all rattling issues.
Id make sure all bolts are tight and no loose rattling washers, then ensure you are hitting the heat shield above the muffler, then maybe check the valves and see if they have too much play
Did you buy it from Remus directly or distributor? Thinking about trying this route first before i invest any more into another mid pipe just to find out its a faulty muffler
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
NTMR_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad4m View Post
Did you buy it from Remus directly or distributor? Thinking about trying this route first before i invest any more into another mid pipe just to find out its a faulty muffler
I purchased through a distributor but contacted Remus directly with my issues. Exhaust was only on my car for a short period of time though before the exchange. But seeing if they can send out new spring is worth a shot. Also based off another thread it appears Remus may have changed to a new style valve adapter which may also help.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Purchased my Remus axle back and AA mid-pipe in Sep '18 from a vendor. After install, I pretty much immediately noticed rattle. Thought it might be from the mid-pipe hitting the brace, on inspection I noticed it was very close if not touching the brace, so got that adjusted. I still had the rattle but it was definitely coming from the passenger side valve actuator. I spoke to Micheal Bower with Remus and was eventually sent a replacement axle-back.

I do still have some rattle at cold start but it resolves itself shortly after driving, maybe in 15-20 seconds, then no rattles at all thereafter.
Appreciate 1
ad4m21.00
      02-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
NTMR_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
Purchased my Remus axle back and AA mid-pipe in Sep '18 from a vendor. After install, I pretty much immediately noticed rattle. Thought it might be from the mid-pipe hitting the brace, on inspection I noticed it was very close if not touching the brace, so got that adjusted. I still had the rattle but it was definitely coming from the passenger side valve actuator. I spoke to Micheal Bower with Remus and was eventually sent a replacement axle-back.

I do still have some rattle at cold start but it resolves itself shortly after driving, maybe in 15-20 seconds, then no rattles at all thereafter.
It may be wastegate rattle, my stock ZCP exhaust did this as well.
Michael is also who I dealt with, he was extremely helpful.
Appreciate 1
ra2289305.50
      03-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMR_M3 View Post
Im having exactly this issue now...

2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:28 PM   #11
Hokayy
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi - was this fixed on your remus set up? I have a Remus axle back paired with AA but bought 2nd hand from another forum user and the minute it was installed and I drove away from the shop, I can hear a rattle on low rpms.

On cold start - its even worst...sounds like metal on metal hitting each other until it works up but you can still faintly hear it. I noticed the rattle is coming from the back of the driver side muffle area...which leads me to think its the valve inside hitting something or bouncing?

I have disconnected the valve controller before just to see if the sound is still there and it was completely gone. However, it was a bit loud for me all the time so had it plugged back in and the rattle came right back with it. Do i need a new Valve controller or spring?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
NTMR_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokayy View Post
Hi - was this fixed on your remus set up? I have a Remus axle back paired with AA but bought 2nd hand from another forum user and the minute it was installed and I drove away from the shop, I can hear a rattle on low rpms.

On cold start - its even worst...sounds like metal on metal hitting each other until it works up but you can still faintly hear it. I noticed the rattle is coming from the back of the driver side muffle area...which leads me to think its the valve inside hitting something or bouncing?

I have disconnected the valve controller before just to see if the sound is still there and it was completely gone. However, it was a bit loud for me all the time so had it plugged back in and the rattle came right back with it. Do i need a new Valve controller or spring?
I would reach out to Remus directly and see what they say. Like I said in regards to my situation, it may just be that the springs aren't providing enough pressure on the valve to keep it from moving around and causing the rattle.
Appreciate 0