Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bootmod3 - trying to update Raspberry pi (wifi agent)

Last night i was trying to update my raspberry pi wifi agent. I downloaded the latest firmware. Unzipped it to roughly 7 gigs. Then i used the ether to write it to the SD card. This process happens smoothly. It says writing then it authenticates. IT does 100% done and completes. However when i look at the card i dont see the latest firmware there. So i am assuming it didnt work.

I keep getting an error to format the card. I dont think i want to do that. I am guessing that will delete the entire card which i am not sure i want to do?? I think the error comes bc its a Linux files on there??

Should i be seeing the latest firmware on the sd card? Should i format the card?

Researching this....i am seeing my issue could be the software i am using to write. I am using Etcher. Is this wrong bc i am using windows and not iOS? should i be using Win32DiskImager?

Last edited by matty088; 02-13-2019 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

Windows doesn't recognize the Linux file format that the Pi is using (Rasbian). By default, plugging an external device that's not a recognized format will prompt you to format to something Windows can see (NTFS, FAT). Don't do this as it will wipe the SD card and you will need to image it again.

Unetbootin is popular for writing images from any OS.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Last night i was trying to update my raspberry pi wifi agent. I downloaded the latest firmware. Unzipped it to roughly 7 gigs. Then i used the ether to write it to the SD card. This process happens smoothly. It says writing then it authenticates. IT does 100% done and completes. However when i look at the card i dont see the latest firmware there. So i am assuming it didnt work.

I keep getting an error to format the card. I dont think i want to do that. I am guessing that will delete the entire card which i am not sure i want to do?? I think the error comes bc its a Linux files on there??

Should i be seeing the latest firmware on the sd card? Should i format the card?

Researching this....i am seeing my issue could be the software i am using to write. I am using Etcher. Is this wrong bc i am using windows and not iOS? should i be using Win32DiskImager?
Here is directions with links:
Format SD Card (FAT) before u begin
Yes.. use Win32DiskImager on Windows and do not re-format after writing to SD card ( if it asks....)
Hope this helps....

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1484555
      02-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
Here is directions with links:
Format SD Card (FAT) before u begin
Yes.. use Win32DiskImager on Windows and do not re-format after writing to SD card ( if it asks....)
Hope this helps....

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1484555

If I format card now won’t I loose everything that’s on it?? Don’t I need these files (sorry I didn’t build this raspberry). Arent some of these files NOT related to bootmod3 and the raspberry pi needs them? Or am i mistaken. ty
Attached Images

Last edited by matty088; 02-13-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0