proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Dhicks19
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5 f10

Smile BM3 Noob

Hi guys,

so I picked up an m4 last week but its booked in for a speed sensor on front passenger wheel.

When it gets back I plan on flashing with bm3 which I have already bought.

the car is completely stock with 30k miles

Few questions:

is the 93 stage 1 map the best to use on 99RON UK fuel?

what battery charger can be used? is it just a case of connecting it under the bonnet and switching on then flashing?

whats the recoding for? is this incase the car comes up with various errors?

some people say stage 2 is fine on stock hardware?

I plan on doing the s1 map,with the gearbox flash plus exhaust burbles.

Whats the ideal set up for in gear boost limiting?

any other settings that should be changed? does opening the exhaust valve make much difference to burbles/noise?

Thanks

Dan
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #2
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhicks19 View Post
Hi guys,

so I picked up an m4 last week but its booked in for a speed sensor on front passenger wheel.

When it gets back I plan on flashing with bm3 which I have already bought.

the car is completely stock with 30k miles

Few questions:

is the 93 stage 1 map the best to use on 99RON UK fuel?

what battery charger can be used? is it just a case of connecting it under the bonnet and switching on then flashing?

whats the recoding for? is this incase the car comes up with various errors?

some people say stage 2 is fine on stock hardware?

I plan on doing the s1 map,with the gearbox flash plus exhaust burbles.

Whats the ideal set up for in gear boost limiting?

any other settings that should be changed? does opening the exhaust valve make much difference to burbles/noise?

Thanks

Dan
Stick with stage 1 93 octane OTS if you are not planning to install downpipes. Unfortunately no one can give you exact settings for boost by gear as there are too many variables (tire type, tread rating, temperature, road surface, driving style, etc.) If I was to recommend boost by gear settings I would use 20% for 1st and 10% for 2nd to start with.

Ultimately you need to flash and see how the car hooks and adjust from there. That's the beauty of BM3, it's fully customizable based on your driving style and preferences.

As for a battery charger. It is recommended for the initial flash and if using one you want a constant 25V. Personally if you confirm that your battery is fully charged and flash with lights off, running lights off and A/C or heat off you can flash without a charger.

The initial flash is a full unlock and copy of your stock map so it takes approximately 2 minutes. Once initially flashed you can make map configuration adjustments, save settings and reflash in under 30 seconds.

Online recoding is rarely needed and iirc BM3 takes care of it automatically now. That's why it's now part of the diagnostics menu and no longer a standalone option.

Also not sure if you're flashing via laptop or wifi agent device but he most important thing is to have a solid, strong wifi signal for the transmission flash. Also don't forget to disable any firewalls, antivirus and wear your seatbelt or the car will go to sleep during the flashing process which is no bueno. Have fun and enjoy the additional ponies/torque.

Welcome to the best tuning platform for BMW as PTF somehow continues to make improvements almost weekly with lots of really cool options for customizing. Not to mention the unrivaled customer support. And don't forget the free OTS maps as lots of people really enjoy the CS and CS+ OTS maps for their linear power delivery
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

On a stock car, i recommend running map 1

You can try map 2 but i strongly suggest you send a log to BM3 to make sure car is handling the extra boost well

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Stick with stage 1 93 octane OTS if you are not planning to install downpipes. Unfortunately no one can give you exact settings for boost by gear as there are too many variables (tire type, tread rating, temperature, road surface, driving style, etc.) If I was to recommend boost by gear settings I would use 20% for 1st and 10% for 2nd to start with.

Ultimately you need to flash and see how the car hooks and adjust from there. That's the beauty of BM3, it's fully customizable based on your driving style and preferences.

As for a battery charger. It is recommended for the initial flash and if using one you want a constant 25V. Personally if you confirm that your battery is fully charged and flash with lights off, running lights off and A/C or heat off you can flash without a charger.

The initial flash is a full unlock and copy of your stock map so it takes approximately 2 minutes. Once initially flashed you can make map configuration adjustments, save settings and reflash in under 30 seconds.

Online recoding is rarely needed and iirc BM3 takes care of it automatically now. That's why it's now part of the diagnostics menu and no longer a standalone option.

Also not sure if you're flashing via laptop or wifi agent device but he most important thing is to have a solid, strong wifi signal for the transmission flash. Also don't forget to disable any firewalls, antivirus and wear your seatbelt or the car will go to sleep during the flashing process which is no bueno. Have fun and enjoy the additional ponies/torque.

Welcome to the best tuning platform for BMW as PTF somehow continues to make improvements almost weekly with lots of really cool options for customizing. Not to mention the unrivaled customer support. And don't forget the free OTS maps as lots of people really enjoy the CS and CS+ OTS maps for their linear power delivery
Well said, probably can't be said any better

OP, if you do not have supporting mods like Downpipes, I would not flash stage 2.... You can run it with full stock exhaust, it's just not recommended.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post

25amp you mean... 25VDC would not be good for it

I've got a clarke charger from machine mart https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...ngine-starter/ and does the job
Appreciate 1