proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
bmwmike335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

VRSF Midpipes made my M4....quieter?? :(

Need your guys' input. I have a stock 2015 M4 with the valves unplugged in the back to keep them always open. I installed the VRSF mid pipes yesterday. A few issues with the bolts coming off but we got it done.

At first start up (cold since the bolts took forever) it sounded very throaty, gurgley, aggressive significantly better than stock. As I drove out of the shop and proceeded home I noticed at idle the car is super quiet. So much that I texted my buddy (mechanic) and asked him if he re connected the valve pugs, thinking maybe the flaps were closed. He said he didn't and they were still disconnected.

After my 60 mile drive home with freeway and street driving im confident that the car is much quieter at idle after it warm. Yes I know the car quiets down, but it's too quiet now, quieter than stock before.

I can't think why this would be the case. I can hear the difference when I drive and change gears especially into 3rd but at idle and taking off normally in 1st gear it's so disappointing.

Only thing I can think of is this....when we took the exhaust out to make the cute, we noticed a few small holes on the piping between the second resonator and muffler. We closed up the holes with a weld and now it's smooth. Can the holes that were there been making my car louder this whole time without me knowing and now that we closed them it's quieter as a result?

If anyone has these on a stock car please comment and let me know if you experienced the same thing. I know many guys have the downpipes with it that's totally different but if you have just the MP on a stock m3/m4 let me know.

I'll post a video soon.

Thank you everyone.
2013 535i (RIP), 2014 535i (RIP)
2013 e92 M3 interlagos blue
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I just got my VRSF midpipe installed about an hour ago on an otherwise stock exhaust. Definitely a nice aggressiveness added to the exhaust note now but cant say I noticed any difference in idle volume. It likely has to do with the exhaust leak you mentioned. Idle volume, especially from inside the car shouldnt change that noticeably with a midpipe.
Appreciate 0