Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Just saying my goodbyes to you guys on this F10 forum, thanks for everyone's insight and help with all my posts. Enjoy
Attached Images

2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5720.50
      05-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Good luck with that.
Appreciate 1
AddyDaddy540.00
      05-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Good luck with that.
Lol went with 2019 M550 Xdrive with every option, M package,M brakes, still figuring out the dynamic drive mode compared to sport plus. Just passed 100 mile mark, doing research on tunes, already have spacers on the way and coded some features on the car already (flaps open all modes) and just a couple other things. It's fast, just not a brutal as the M5. Will be taking resonators out in next few weeks too.
Appreciate 3
Ickdeep5720.50
M5Rick60091.50
OneExtra810.50
      05-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Congratulations!
Appreciate 1
AddyDaddy540.00
      05-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Wow. That was quick. Hopefully you didn't take too big of a bath on the M5.

Good luck with the new car! At least now you have a full factory warranty. :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Very nice!

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Good luck

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

No offense to OP.

But people like OP have no business owning these type of cars and are the reason these cars get the "it's so unreliable" name.

OP bought a stupid expensive extended warranty for crazy amount of money with a $500 deductible. Several of us on the forums told him what a poor choice this was.

Then he would take the car to dealer for every diagnosis and paid $700 to do one coil. We again advised OP he will pay more in long run. OP paid the $700 to replace ONE coil and later on more failed and he had to pay even more to fix them again.....then he was charged $400 in gaskets while installing a muffler delete which he paid.

The car is still a 100k plus car and it will always be.

There are three types of people that can own these cars.

1. Has money growing on trees and repair costs and resale value is not a big concern. These are typically the first owners.

2. Budget conscious car enthusiast that can diagnose issues and figure out what's wrong BEFORE taking it in for repair. Can do their own research, buy their own parts and own some diagnosing and trouble shooting tools. Has connections with performance shops, dealership techs and smaller cost friendly shops.

3. The DIY mechanic. Can do everything mostly by themselves and have the tools and knowledge. Doesn't need others help.

I am number 2. I don't turn any wrenches but I got a whole arsenal of different guys that do and that take care of me. I always diagnose myself and get my own parts. I get to learn too and when it comes to the dirty work I can throw some bucks and have it done.

Best of luck on your new car. Hope it treats you better than the m5 did
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
No offense to OP.

But people like OP have no business owning these type of cars and are the reason these cars get the "it's so unreliable" name.

OP bought a stupid expensive extended warranty for crazy amount of money with a $500 deductible. Several of us on the forums told him what a poor choice this was.

Then he would take the car to dealer for every diagnosis and paid $700 to do one coil. We again advised OP he will pay more in long run. OP paid the $700 to replace ONE coil and later on more failed and he had to pay even more to fix them again.....then he was charged $400 in gaskets while installing a muffler delete which he paid.

1. Has money growing on trees and repair costs and resale value is not a big concern. These are typically the first owners.

2. Budget conscious car enthusiast that can diagnose issues and figure out what's wrong BEFORE taking it in for repair. Can do their own research, buy their own parts and own some diagnosing and trouble shooting tools. Has connections with performance shops, dealership techs and smaller cost friendly shops.

3. The DIY mechanic. Can do everything mostly by themselves and have the tools and knowledge. Doesn't need others help.

I am number 2. I don't turn any wrenches but I got a whole arsenal of different guys that do and that take care of me. I always diagnose myself and get my own parts. I get to learn too and when it comes to the dirty work I can throw some bucks and have it done.

Well to be fair
I already had bought the warranty prior to asking about it. It wasn't just how the dealer rips you off on maintenance, it was everything combined. Dealer having car for 12 days, being new to going outside dealer without maintenance being covered, trying to find a reputable place around where I live and then the down time there too. It became a job for me to keep up and sure expensive too. It was my experience with the car, I had to do a lot of driving back and forth to get car fixed and maintained. Luckily I get 90% of money I paid for the warranty and gap ins back. But in the case of my particular car, it just happened to need a lot of parts replaced and I was tired of getting it done, tired of driving 30 min each way to the Indy shop I found. It became not fun any more.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
Well to be fair
I already had bought the warranty prior to asking about it. It wasn't just how the dealer rips you off on maintenance, it was everything combined. Dealer having car for 12 days, being new to going outside dealer without maintenance being covered, trying to find a reputable place around where I live and then the down time there too. It became a job for me to keep up and sure expensive too. It was my experience with the car, I had to do a lot of driving back and forth to get car fixed and maintained. Luckily I get 90% of money I paid for the warranty and gap ins back. But in the case of my particular car, it just happened to need a lot of parts replaced and I was tired of getting it done, tired of driving 30 min each way to the Indy shop I found. It became not fun any more.
Try not to get mugged. Ask for advice on the forums, even this one despite you not owning an f10 anymore. Dealers/MOST workshops will take advantage of you if they think you have more money than sense. Tell them what you think and find out what we think. I've seen many people on here paying over the odds for stupid things. By the way, in the UK Genuine Bosch coils are available for under £25 each and take a matter of minutes to fit.

Just be aware, things are not always as expensive as people make out. Then again some things are. Research is key.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #11
Mkiv98tt
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
No offense to OP.

Totally agree on the type of owner suitable for a used M5. A Nissan GTR would be another good example.

Last edited by Mkiv98tt; 05-02-2019 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: grammer
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #12
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Quote:
No offense to OP.

Well to be fair
At the end of the day not all of us have time to find shops/people to help us out and/or time to DIY.

Best of luck with the m550 hope you enjoy it and it gives you trouble free ahead
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:00 AM   #13
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No offense to OP.

Well to be fair
At the end of the day not all of us have time to find shops/people to help us out and/or time to DIY.

Best of luck with the m550 hope you enjoy it and it gives you trouble free ahead
Yes, it was the time factor and having to make time for this and that every couple weeks. I already have a job that takes my time up, also have a 11yr old and baby on the way, so that's that. I obviously didn't skip anything because of money, it's the physical work of in and out of shop that did me in. Now the next owner of my car will get a lucky find, I did everything that in my eyes could have been done in preventive maintenance as well as what was needed(coils and plugs).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
No offense to OP.

I am a 4th type

Buy a used car that's nearly new from BMW and is AUC approved saving a fortune (paid £45K on a £96K RRP) and that has 2 years warranty remaining.

Extend the BMW warranty after the 3 year warranty runs out and have potentially trouble free motoring.

12 months warranty with BMW with assist is £1300 so good value.

Build a strong relationship with my local BMW service advisor to keep servicing cost as low as possible and who will help you with any warranty claims needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
nothingbutspeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Stage 3 E85 Audi RS3

Congrats on the new car AddyDaddy. Did you keep return the car stock (Soul Exhaust) or did you leave it on there? I am local and a new to me owner of an F10.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #16
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbutspeed View Post
Congrats on the new car AddyDaddy. Did you keep return the car stock (Soul Exhaust) or did you leave it on there? I am local and a new to me owner of an F10.
I left pipes on. I wasn't going back to the shops to remove and take the 4 wheel spacers off. Was done living at the shop. Luckily I sold my floor mats, draggy and stock exhaust.
Trying to space out the mods on new car
Had to do badly needed spacers on the tears and tint on Tuesday, after 800 miles doing a piggy, debating between Dinnan and Jb4 or race chip. I would go full tune, and I really want to, but I leased the car so I need to be careful. This car is respectable but I miss the brute performance of the M5
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #17
nothingbutspeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Stage 3 E85 Audi RS3

I hear ya, you got yourself an awesome replacement though! Good luck with it!
Appreciate 0