Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
maximumpsi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M3, 02 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Maximum PSI Keyed crank hub - info/updates

Hi Guys,

I wanted to make a post about our keyed crank hub kits, and to provide some feedback now that we have installed a ton of these, and they are in cars all over the world. To date we have close to 200 kits shipped or in use in S55, N55, and N54 cars. We went from worrying about pushing our s55 shop car and spinning the crank hub multiple times to enjoying the car and making consistent 9 second 1/4 mile passes. Our F80 currently holds the F series 1/4 mile record of 9.3@151mph, making 899whp/800+tq. We have keyed hubs in the RK Tunes single turbo F80 making 1150+whp, and the ASR/Kratos car making 1150+whp. We also have one of our hubs in the Motiv N54 powered shop car.

People have asked us why we are still making a 2 piece design instead of a one piece hub. The answer is that it makes install easier, as the oil pump gear can be installed first along with the oil pump chain assembly. My F80 actually has a hand-machined 3 piece prototype, and that has had no issues.

Another big benefit of our kit design is that our hub kit gets drilled through the front of the crank, not from the bottom. As we continue to do more installs we also realized that while it is nice to drop the subframe and remove the oil pan, it is possible to complete the install without removing the oil pan. Many installers will continue to drop the pan to ease the drilling and assembly process, however it is nice to have the option to not have to drop the pan.

Our parts are machined here in NJ and the parts are carburized and induction hardened at a local heat treatment facility. We are almost done with another batch of hub kits, and hope to ship them at the end of the month. I was hoping to be shipping next week, but some production delays are unavoidable. The S55/N55 hubs will be available first, followed by another batch of N54 parts.

To date there have been no reported failures with our kit, aside from one or two initial issues with the early drill fixtures that have been remedied. The only issues that I have seen from other installers is the occasional broken drill bit, which is the end result of side loading the carbide drill bit. The good thing is it is easily removable, and the remedy is to pick out the broken pieces and just use another drill bit. I will be adding the option to purchase an extra drill bit for time-sensitive installs on the web store on Monday.

-Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by maximumpsi; 05-12-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 8
      05-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Just wanted to add that I had mine installed recently at the Maxpsi location and couldnt be happier. These guys were super professional and turned my car around as discussed with no delays. My biggest complaint is when i got the car home i found out about the march update and now i cant flash my car to stage 2 with bm3 =)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Thanks for sharing.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: The Spirit of Racing

Our built engine S55 with KRAS55Bi's installed currently produces 1163whp/983wtq with over 100 dyno passes performed at 1050+whp on Maximum PSI crank hub kit without fail! Our engineers feel that this is the best crank hub kit on the market for the S55 and we couldn't agree more!
Appreciate 3
      05-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

maximumpsi stupid question. How u gaining access to drill the front of the crank. You removing the front bar and associated radiators, fans etc right angle drill attachment or dropping the engine and trans enough to gain the access?
      05-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
maximumpsi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M3, 02 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
maximumpsi stupid question. How u gaining access to drill the front of the crank. You removing the front bar and associated radiators, fans etc right angle drill attachment or dropping the engine and trans enough to gain the access?
A cordless 3/8 Snap-on or Milwaukee drill fits fine without removing the radiator. Only the fan assembly needs to come out.
Appreciate 1
MR RIZK757.50