proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

PPI Inquiry

Would you conduct a PPI for a BMW being sold by a BMW dealer?

If yes, would you still conduct a PPI for a BMW being sold by a BMW dealer and has been certified, or does that mean a PPI has essentially already been performed?

Lastly, if buying a BMW from a BMW dealer out of state, what steps would you go through before purchase (assuming price/financing is agreed upon). Do you fly out to see it in person first, for example? Can most dealerships arrange shipping, or must buyer arrange?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Public Transportation

Yes you should do a PPI before buying the car. People tend to hide things. Sometimes they are minor sometimes they are major. No need to take a risk to save $200~
      09-25-2019, 11:52 PM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Yes.
The only exceptton would be if I was allowed to crawl all over it while it's on a lift at that dealership, and the car was still under warranty.

Quote:
If yes, would you still conduct a PPI for a BMW being sold by a BMW dealer and has been certified, or does that mean a PPI has essentially already been performed?
If the car is BMW CPO-ed, that means that:
1). It has never been in an accident
2). It come with BMW CPO warranty

If a dealer claims that they simply "self-certified" the car, then that means absolutely NOTHING.

Quote:
Lastly, if buying a BMW from a BMW dealer out of state, what steps would you go through before purchase (assuming price/financing is agreed upon). Do you fly out to see it in person first, for example? Can most dealerships arrange shipping, or must buyer arrange?
I would find a local to that dealer's are independent shop, make arrangements with that shop to perform proper PPI on a "used car", and ask the dealer to transport the car to the shop of your choosing. If they refuse, that is a major RED flag.

After the PPI, you will know what you are dealing with, and if it's worth flying over to complete the transaction.

Shipping can be part of the negotiation.
You will want to know they cost of reputable 3rd party shipping options, not to get hosed.

HTH,
a

Last edited by afadeev; 09-26-2019 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
RElias21564.00
      09-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
Yes.
The only except would be if I was allowed to crawl all over it while it's on a lift at that dealership, and the car was still under warranty.

Quote:
If the car is BMW CPO-ed, that means that:
1). It has never been in an accident
2). It come with BMW CPO warranty

If a dealer claims that they simply "self-certified" the car, then that means absolutely NOTHING.

Quote:
I would find a local to that dealer's are independent shop, make arrangements with that shop to perform proper PPI on a "used car", and ask the dealer to transport the car to the shop of your choosing. If they refuse, that is a major RED flag.

After the PPI, you will know what you are dealing with, and if it's worth flying over to complete the transaction.

Shipping can be part of the negotiation.
You will want to know they cost of reputable 3rd party shipping options, not to get hosed.

HTH,
a
Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

Last Q to make sure I understand you correctly.

If the vehicle is BMW CPO'ed, does that mean that a PPI was effectively already conducted, or should a independent PPI still be performed?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

Last Q to make sure I understand you correctly.

If the vehicle is BMW CPO'ed, does that mean that a PPI was effectively already conducted, or should a independent PPI still be performed?
BMW CPO requires a relatively thorough inspection.
But more importantly, to qualify for CPO, used cars must NOT have had accidents, open recall campaigns, service must be up to date, tires are not bold, etc, etc.
https://cpo.bmwusa.com/certification/

Basically, CPO certification weeds out most of the clunkers, which is what you are trying to achieve via PPI as well.

However, the other purpose of your own PPI is to identify minor issue with the car that could allow you to negotiate down the price of the purchase: minor paint scratches, maybe an steering rack oil seepage (they all do it), etc. With that in mind, a PPI might still we warranted, even if you are buying from a dealer.

Lastly, CPO certification is only as good a dealer's integrity - there is a fundamental conflict of interest for the dealer to over-state how good that car is to both the buyer, and BMW CPO process. PPI can help you cut through the fluff, especially if you are buying from a BMW dealer with shady reputation, of which there are plenty (check Google and Yelp reviews).

a
Appreciate 1
RElias21564.00
      09-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

1) get a paint meter => some people "forget" about things
2)check recent carfax report, but don't fully rely on it
3) go to bmw/Porsche forum and find an independent local shop to do inspection for you.
4) if financing know your credit score and see what other banks/credit unions are offering.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
redblaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

I would recommend you negotiate and settle down the deal with dealership first on the specific car. And then definitely have PPI conducted no matter what.

In terms of shipping dealer usually can arrange that but may be a rip-off based on my experience. Finding a truck by yourself isn't that hard.
Appreciate 0