ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
SocoM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

DIY Ceramic coating

Hey everybody, my MP HAS kit is soon to arrive. With doing the suspension I also wanted to ceramic coat my wheels as I remember reading on a post of another individual doing it. I cannot find that exact post, but does anyone have any recommendations product wise? I have never ceramic coated wheels before but would like to give it a go, any help would be appreciated!

Not sure if it matters, but I do have the OEM 19in wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocoM3 View Post
Hey everybody, my MP HAS kit is soon to arrive. With doing the suspension I also wanted to ceramic coat my wheels as I remember reading on a post of another individual doing it. I cannot find that exact post, but does anyone have any recommendations product wise? I have never ceramic coated wheels before but would like to give it a go, any help would be appreciated!

Not sure if it matters, but I do have the OEM 19in wheels.
It will be my first time too. I decided to go with Gyeon Q2 Rim. Use hand gloves.

Wheels need to be washed and cleaned, wiped down with a degreasing agent like paint prep or you can buy Gyeon Q2 prep. I plan to use paint prep and then diluted IPA solution before applying the coating. Not sure it matters but im going to leave the wheels in a warm area 70F+ so the wheels surface temp isnt too cold before starting the process.
You apply a couple drops to the suede applicator and work a quarter section at a time. The bond usually happens within the first minute and leaving it on for too long can cause uneven application. After applying the coating, wait 3 minutes and wipe off with clean microfiber towel. Repeat process for the rest of the wheels front and back. If you want to do an additional coating, wait at leat 4 hrs and repeat the process. Throw out the used applicator and microfiber towels, you will want to use a new suede applicator and microfiber towel. You can also cut the suede applicator towel smaller. I plan to cut a small piece so i can wrap it around my finger and use a rubberband at the bottom to hold it in place. This will help with getting into tighter areas.

After you are done with the set of wheels, let it cure for 24hrs in a clean and dry area.

Last edited by hC1001; 04-24-2020 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
MAddict
M Power
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

My experience with CQuartz UK 3.0 have been fantastic, I recommend that product. Their 50ml kit is around $80 on Amazon. It is user friendly from a diy application perspective, with great results.

I've used this product to ceramic coat the entire car, then on two separate sets of 19" wheels. If it's your first time applying a coating do some research on YT videos. Cross-hatch pattern, bond timing, and using clean cloths are key.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
You can also try Gtechniq C5. Great shine and it’s made cleaning my wheels so much easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
SocoM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Appreciate all the replies, I have a product on the way. Should get to it hopefully sometime this coming week. Will let you all know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I did the DIY on my summer BBS wheels using the leftover Armor Shield from having my car done. Winter wheels were on the car and ceramic is better with multiple coats with cures in between. Definitely DIY easy but takes time, time, time.

If you're going to do it understand a few things first. Ceramic does not change or avoid brake dust buildup. Upsides: shiny looks extra shiny when clean, and brake dust blasts off easier with a pressure washer. Downsides: you can't use strong cleaners on ceramic, just plain car wash and elbow grease.

Tips:
- ***Prep work is MOST critical. The real job is the cleaning and the preparation.
- Water is the enemy, one drop ruins a job. 99% ISO the friend, displaces water and cleans/dries fast. I bought a quart of 99.9 off AZon, didn't use the 91% or 70% that Walgreens had.
- To do it right you need 3 days with the wheels off the car. Don't mount till job is done right.
- Get a 5-pack of "suede applicator squares", wash good in clean water and completely dry for a few days before. Get that residual color and any dust out.
- Get 2-3 nice microfiber towels. Will need to dispose of after. Ceramic bonds
- Use up all your strong wheel cleaner getting your tires and all wheel surfaces spotless, and must feel clean as glass to bare hands.
- Vac or blow off any water drops, dry them hot in the sun (cook off all possible water).
- Lay wheels face up flat. Put the ISO alcohol in a clean sprayer and completely soak down all wheel surfaces, to remove any oils/waxes, and assure all water is gone. Tip sideways so most alcohol runs out of the grooves. Wait till most ISO evaporates and wipe dry with one towel. Don't wipe the tires, just the wheels, tires still have a tiny bit of oil in the rubber even after the alcohol. This towel #1 is done, has some possible tire oil, wash and save as a wheel wipe rag.
- Spray towel #2 with some alcohol and do the final prep wipe down. Stay away from tires. Do all 4 then do the wheel lips last. This towel #2 is done, do same as #1.
- YouTube has great videos on how to apply your coating, do the little wait, and then the wipe off. Cleanliness is key, make sure you overlap layers.
- Go by feel when applying. It feels like spreading olive oil. When you feel a little drag on the suede pad add 2 more drops. Put it on thin and plan multiple coats. If you go on thick you'll make tons of work to polish off what will feel like maple syrup.
- Use the same towel #3 for all wipe downs now and for subsequent coats. This towel will have ceramic bond to it, which may crystallize. Don't use for anything other than a ceramic wipe-off. I used a new quarter surface for each of 4 layers. Trash after the curing job is done (below).
- After last coat let sit 48 hours to hard cure. They may haze over this period, just use your washed/dried towels #1&2. Keep in trunk for after-wash rim wipes.

I know this may sound crazy, but my car paint and wheel ceramic holds up for a year so far even using a weekly drive-through car wash. You can still see 50% water runoff performance compared to my PPF sections.

-TJ
      04-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Go for either Gyeon Rim or Cquartz DLux. Those are my go to when a client wants there rims coated and all of the tips that others have posted are good with the biggest being to make sure you do the most important part correctly: Prep!
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
carM3kee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

I only have experience with Gyeon Rim coating and so far it works. I would agree that the grunt work is on the cleaning and prep to ensure the coating has a good bond. I spent about 2 days...Day 1 detailed cleaning of the wheels (wash and dried, then let it sit over night to further dry). Day 2, applied iron remover, then cleaned and dry again. Then applied Prep to further remove oils/wax, etc. Then let it dry again. Then apply ceramic coating...lastly let it sit / cure for the next 3 days.... Plenty of instructions and approaches on the TUBE. i went with this approach since i have limited time in hand...
Appreciate 0