BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for sale/wanted/trade

10-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 MW E92 M3

Carmax 2011 M3

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Maybe not the most desirable spec but thought I'd share in case anybody is looking as these are becoming more rare to show up at Carmax.

Remember, Carmax has arguably one of the best extended warranties in the nation (hint hint: RB's).

https://www.carmax.com/car/19598418

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #2
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

If anybody is curious about how much MaxCare costs on this car. Surprisingly cheap for 5 years of warranty.

Appreciate 2
jamabdi215.50
      10-24-2020, 01:42 AM   #3
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep

^^ Wow, idk how you pulled that off but kudos to you! I'd go for the 100k/$300 deductible for $3k. It has 24 saves on its first day, I predict this will sell over the weekend. Let's see!

EDIT: checked the VIN and it's a legit ZCP
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
genebike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERV8 View Post
^^ Wow, idk how you pulled that off but kudos to you! I'd go for the 100k/$300 deductible for $3k. It has 24 saves on its first day, I predict this will sell over the weekend. Let's see!

EDIT: checked the VIN and it's a legit ZCP
Saw this too as I'm in the market. It's a very odd spec. Aside from the colors, it has standard sound and no cold weather. Haven't seen one like this before.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
If anybody is curious about how much MaxCare costs on this car. Surprisingly cheap for 5 years of warranty.

Do you work at CarMax?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthemavm View Post
Do you work at CarMax?
Yes I do.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
anthemavm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes I do.
I am having a car shipped to the Costa Mesa store, was hoping it was already to be seen.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #8
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Quote:
Do you work at CarMax?
Yes I do.
Sales? Purchasing?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Do you work at CarMax?
Yes I do.
Sales? Purchasing?
I'm part time sales.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #10
anthemavm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm part time sales.
Sent you a pm
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #11
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:

how much?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep

Looks like somebody got it in 3 days. I wonder if anyone on here...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Car max warranties are the best but make sure you know what you are buying as I don't buy their claim that all their cars are accident free.

Out of three cars I checked out from them, two I could tell had been in minor front end collisions. I suspect they intentionally find cars that have been fixed outside the insurance system and therefore the vin has no record of an accident.

The one car I did buy did have excellent warranty however.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #14
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jala View Post
Car max warranties are the best but make sure you know what you are buying as I don't buy their claim that all their cars are accident free.

Out of three cars I checked out from them, two I could tell had been in minor front end collisions. I suspect they intentionally find cars that have been fixed outside the insurance system and therefore the vin has no record of an accident.

The one car I did buy did have excellent warranty however.
I wholeheartedly agree and would actually never suggest to buy cars from Carmax (no offense to the salesman on here lol) BUT... they do have the 7 day return policy which once worked in my favor as I bought an out of warranty RR sport supercharged (of course adding Maxcare) and did a PPI and found minor front end damage and returned it all within the 7 days no problem.

Carmax is good to buy cars that are notoriously known for expensive repairs. I've heard of ppl getting 3rd party warranty quotes of around $10k+ or they simply won't even offer a warranty for E9X M3's. Now imagine finding an E60 M5 at Carmax nowadays! I swear to you I saw one about 6 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #15
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jala View Post

The one car I did buy did have a excellent warranty however.
CarMax does not claim all their cars are accident-free, in fact, if you browse their inventory online and check the AutoCheck you'll see that in some cases certain cars do have accidents shown. What they do claim is the cars will be guaranteed not to have any Structural Accidents/Water damage. CarMax will re-paint the front bumper and hood on a lot of vehicles with higher miles or especially darker colors because of rock chips etc, a practice I'm not a fan of, I rather have my vehicle's paint all original, battle scars and all. For the majority of shoppers, they love that the car "looks new", for the more discerning shopper they will notice the repaint and automatically assume it's been in a front-end collision which is most likely not the case 99 percent of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERV8 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree and would actually never suggest to buy cars from Carmax (no offense to the salesman on here lol) BUT... they do have the 7 day return policy which once worked in my favor as I bought an out of warranty RR sport supercharged (of course adding Maxcare) and did a PPI and found minor front end damage and returned it all within the 7 days no problem.

Carmax is good to buy cars that are notoriously known for expensive repairs. I've heard of ppl getting 3rd party warranty quotes of around $10k+ or they simply won't even offer a warranty for E9X M3's. Now imagine finding an E60 M5 at Carmax nowadays! I swear to you I saw one about 6 months ago.
Lol, no offense taken, when buying used cars always do your due diligence regardless of where you buy it. While you would never suggest buying a car from CarMax, you also mention 2 great reasons to do so, 7-day hassle-free money-back guarantee, which gives you ample time to test it out, inspect it, PPI, etc, and the best warranty for the best price in the business.

CarMax does have a body shop onsite at their larger production stores, they will handle small repairs to bring the cars up to standard. By small, I mean they do not have the capability to do any frame repair/re-welding, etc. it's mostly cosmetic repairs, fenders, bumper replacements, painting rock chips, etc. If they find any frame damage they are not allowed to touch it, those get automatically kicked to the auction. Like I said above, CarMax does have a habit of painting front and rear bumpers during their "reconditioning" process to get rid of scratches and rock chips, it does not always indicate an accident, me personally I would find one that hasn't been repainted because the quality is kinda hit or miss.

I bought a "Certified Pre-Owned" 11k mile 335i from Beverly Hills BMW that had no record of accidents, the next day I found out the passenger rear 1/4 panel had been repainted when I saw it in the sun, it was a totally different color. I took it to a body shop and they said it was cut out and replaced. Beverly Hills BMW basically told me to kick rocks since there is no cooling-off period in CA. A car like that would not have passed CarMax inspection because a 1/4 panel replacement is considered a structural repair but if it somehow did, CarMax will take that car back no questions asked.

Now I'm not saying CarMax is perfect, they are the largest used car retailer in the US, so with the amount of volume that they do I'm sure a few do slip through. The difference is CarMax will usually make things right, I've seen them own up and take care of customers years after they bought the car. One notable incident that I remember while working here, a customer comes in and bought a VW GTI CASH, a week later it "catches" on fire. The customer only has liability insurance so the car was a total loss and he was SOL, CarMax took the car back as a return and gave him all his money back. CarMax took a $28,000 hit on that car, what other dealership would do that.

Oh and one last thing I want to add, the most annoying part of the job is when someone brings in a clunker or highly modified car for appraisal and expects us to give them KBB street value or more for it then gets mad when they don't. MOST MODIFICATIONS DO NOT ADD VALUE to the car at CarMax. In fact, the more factory, the better. CarMax will either have to spend money to source all the factory parts or send that car to auction. Ever seen an E92 with an ESS supercharger or an F350 with an 8" lift on 37s for sale at CarMax? Nope.

I'm fortunate enough where my part-time job at CarMax is not needed to pay my bills, It's an extremely fun and rewarding place to work, truthfully it doesn't feel like work at all. I love coming here to be around cars and meeting new people. For the majority of sales consultants here though it's their main source of income so when everyone on Youtube jumps on the bandwagon and does the CarMax appraisal thing with no intent to sell, it does waste their time. The worse ones are the customers who get really angry and combative when they don't get the offer they wanted. I've had offer paper thrown back in my face, customers cursing and yelling about how they saw their same car on Craigslist for more and we wasted their time! Nobody is putting a gun to your head to take the offer, it's a FREE Service, you get a free inspection, a free AutoCheck history report, AND a written offer good for 7 days, feel free to shop it around, try your luck on Craigslist or FB whatever I DON'T CARE LOL. It's like going to a restaurant, getting a free steak, and then yelling and acting like a big child because the free steak wasn't as tender as you hoped.

Last edited by DanMpower; 10-26-2020 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
UBERV8528.00
Rambler208.50
      10-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #16
vma1788
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36s, 997, CT9a, AP1, F31

Fun Fact: Car Fax incidents do NOT come from the insurance company, they come from the police report! No police report, no CarFax record. Do your due diligence when purchasing from any party.

I bought a car from someone who bought it from Car Max. I was super skeptical as I thought Carmax was for people looking to dump trashed cars. To my surprise, the car was in phenomenal shape top, bottom and underneath. Beyond that the Max Care warranty was awesome and covered everything I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #17
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Is it really worth snagging a carmax car just because of the warranty though? That car IMO was priced 5 grand over market value, and you’re pretty paying another 5 grand for warranty. You’ve already prepaid the price of a replacement motor upfront .....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #18
TheKooncher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP AW/FR DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vma1788 View Post
Fun Fact: Car Fax incidents do NOT come from the insurance company, they come from the police report! No police report, no CarFax record. Do your due diligence when purchasing from any party.
Not true. I had my old 335i backed into in a parking lot and they left a note. No police report, but I obviously reported it to their insurance to cover my damage. Had a damage report on carfax. It definitely is from insurance reports. May be from police too, but I don't think that's the main reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #19
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKooncher View Post
Not true. I had my old 335i backed into in a parking lot and they left a note. No police report, but I obviously reported it to their insurance to cover my damage. Had a damage report on carfax. It definitely is from insurance reports. May be from police too, but I don't think that's the main reason.
Meh, it's all over the place. My GLI (that I bought new, so I know the entire history) had one incident on the CarFax despite there being two.

1) Co-worker backed into the car and ran (caught it on surveillance video). She disputed, so I filed a police report to get the damage fixed on my front bumper. Reported on CarFax.

2) On my way back from a trip when an 18-wheeler next to me hit some debris and shot up on my car opening up the side like a tuna can (rail road tie 6x6 with iron hanging out). Truck kept going and no one knows where the debris came from. No other parties were "involved" so my insurance agent suggested to not file a police report and just file a claim. This one went exclusively through insurance. NOT reported on CarFax.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #20
Hawkaj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I purchased a e92 m3 w/ 70k miles from carmax in early 2019, Excellent condition. it was slightly overpriced but the car has held up great. 120k miles now, original rod bearings (i assume, no paperwork), throttle actuators, alternator, ICV etc. Didn't get the warranty, but it would have been a waste in this case

Last edited by Hawkaj; 10-29-2020 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #21
vma1788
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36s, 997, CT9a, AP1, F31

Quote:
It is 100% from the police reports. Maybbbbbeeee some insurance companies report it but none from what I have seen. Car Fax is not the holy grail of car history, just a baseline for where its been.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:40 PM   #22
Hawkaj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vma1788 View Post
Quote:
It is 100% from the police reports. Maybbbbbeeee some insurance companies report it but none from what I have seen. Car Fax is not the holy grail of car history, just a baseline for where its been.
My M3's carfax has a "damage report" from when I hit a deer and filed an insurance claim without a police report.
Appreciate 0