BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Drove an e90 M3 Yesterday

I had an e46 M3 and went to an e90 335.
I've done quite a bit to the 335 and I wanted to see the differences between the two.

This is not a 335 vs M3 thread.
I'm just posting my findings and realizations.

The M3 was extremely nice.
The sound is incredible!
The torque---where is it?

Now, I knew what I was stepping into. I knew that the torque was far less than mine (since I'm getting around 370 ft lbs at the wheels on 91), but I guess I was looking for the quick get up and go, and I was a bit dissapointed.
It seemed to me as if the e46 M3's gears were much lower and reved up a lot quicker than the e90 M3.
As soon as I pulled onto the street, I pressed the M button to take full advantage of the car.

As far as a daily driver, I really have to say that the 335i or ever a 335d would be a much better car.
Now, I know that the M3 is an unbelievable track car, but after taking my 335 to the track a couple times, I'd have to say that it's no slouch.
On top of everything, I'm currently getting 29 mpg on the highway.

I guess what I'm saying is that I was really tempted before I went to the dealer.
-I had my payoff in mind.
-I really wanted to take advantage of the .9%
-I was told that 4500 under sticker is reasonable
-I really thought I was going to drive away in the M3
But I wasn't sold.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

wow, I'm in the same boat (well expect for the mods you have done, I only have exhaust)...
I posted a different thread asking the exact questions that you answered and I'm going to drive it tomorrow....
I actually hope I have the same opinions as it will save me some $$

may I ask what you have done to get your 335 to 12.38? thats a serious number.. dinan?
juice box? any warranty left?

I have heard they are cracking down hard on these mods.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
wow, I'm in the same boat (well expect for the mods you have done, I only have exhaust)...
I posted a different thread asking the exact questions that you answered and I'm going to drive it tomorrow....
I actually hope I have the same opinions as it will save me some $$

may I ask what you have done to get your 335 to 12.38? thats a serious number.. dinan?
juice box? any warranty left?

I have heard they are cracking down hard on these mods.
I currently have a JB3, but that's all you need really to run that number in addition to race gas and drag radials.
I do have my complete warranty left.
You just can't take advantage of the dealer and think that they are stupid.
Leave in the tune and expect to get caught.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Nothing that has not been posted 5 million times before. Your points are valid but the M3 will be modifiable in due time to improve its performance as well. I get 27 MPG on the highway in my M3. I agree I like that throw you in the seat feeling as well but the M is so much tighter in every other way than the 335 as long as you are willing to give up the straight line speed of a modded 335 (not that it is really that much faster.) To each their own but I will never regret trading off my 335 for the M!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

In the Same BOAT

Hi there,
I have been lurking in here DAILY reading about everyone's M3. I was really really fixed on getting the E90 M3, but everytime I try one, I just keep on thinking that it is not what I want.
I owned my 2003 M3 for almost 6 years, but decided to sell it one month ago. That car had a really nice and lively RPM midrange where when you floor it, it keeps you excited from 2k all the way up to Redline. The noise and vibrations that the engine makes are really great and involving. When I went for a drive in an E92 M3 Manual, I was really disappointed to see the RPM move all the way to redline without drama. It was really just going there and you only feel a bit excited with the engine noise, which is great but way too muted for my tastes.
Again, I am an M3 fan (still have my two E30 M3s and not selling them) so I went for a DCT test drive....again, smooth shifts compared to the SMG I had and really nice Auto mode. Still, the dead RPM zone was not impressive....I test drove my friend's DCT also....and got the same feeling... the car might be fast, but not involving as the E46...

So,
I went and got an E90 335 Auto. Now, this car is really fast and involving. Somehow, it filled up the gap of the E46 which I could not find in the E9X.... I still want an E90 M3, but still not getting that wow feature that makes me want one. Last night, I went and again drove an E92 M3 manual. It still left me unimpressed, and I went back to drive my 335 which was a great pleasure. By the way, my 335 is still stock, but it has one fat torque curve and an involving RPM :-)

I know that this is an M3 forum, and again we dont want to again and again. For me, I love drifting and the E46 was one of the best drift machines out there. I just contacted my dealer today to see if they have a 135, which I am considering instead of the E90 M3..... The deciding factore might be the new i-drive.... :-) Prices of the cars in here (UAE--United Arab Emirates) are expensive compared with the US. E90/92 M3s cost $ 101,000
E82 135 Cost $59,000
E90 335 Cost $62,000

So...... Its a tough choice, but go and drive both cars and buy what you like, cause buying something based on opinions might be good at times, but at others you will be the one cursing and feeling bad (although you cant go wrong with an M3!!)

By the way, I also tried a modded GT-R in here, and it also left the same feeling. It was fast but not involving....at least not to me.. the owner kept on talking ONLY about kill stories all the way through the test drive.... (I beat this, that and this and oh, from standing start from ........you get the point.)

Cheers

Shihab
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

In the Same BOAT

Hi there,
I have been lurking in here DAILY reading about everyone's M3. I was really really fixed on getting the E90 M3, but everytime I try one, I just keep on thinking that it is not what I want.
I owned my 2003 M3 for almost 6 years, but decided to sell it one month ago. That car had a really nice and lively RPM midrange where when you floor it, it keeps you excited from 2k all the way up to Redline. The noise and vibrations that the engine makes are really great and involving. When I went for a drive in an E92 M3 Manual, I was really disappointed to see the RPM move all the way to redline without drama. It was really just going there and you only feel a bit excited with the engine noise, which is great but way too muted for my tastes.
Again, I am an M3 fan (still have my two E30 M3s and not selling them) so I went for a DCT test drive....again, smooth shifts compared to the SMG I had and really nice Auto mode. Still, the dead RPM zone was not impressive....I test drove my friend's DCT also....and got the same feeling... the car might be fast, but not involving as the E46...

So,
I went and got an E90 335 Auto. Now, this car is really fast and involving. Somehow, it filled up the gap of the E46 which I could not find in the E9X.... I still want an E90 M3, but still not getting that wow feature that makes me want one. Last night, I went and again drove an E92 M3 manual. It still left me unimpressed, and I went back to drive my 335 which was a great pleasure. By the way, my 335 is still stock, but it has one fat torque curve and an involving RPM :-)

I know that this is an M3 forum, and again we dont want to again and again. For me, I love drifting and the E46 was one of the best drift machines out there. I just contacted my dealer today to see if they have a 135, which I am considering instead of the E90 M3..... The deciding factore might be the new i-drive.... :-) Prices of the cars in here (UAE--United Arab Emirates) are expensive compared with the US. E90/92 M3s cost $ 101,000
E82 135 Cost $59,000
E90 335 Cost $62,000

So...... Its a tough choice, but go and drive both cars and buy what you like, cause buying something based on opinions might be good at times, but at others you will be the one cursing and feeling bad (although you cant go wrong with an M3!!)

By the way, I also tried a modded GT-R in here, and it also left the same feeling. It was fast but not involving....at least not to me.. the owner kept on talking ONLY about kill stories all the way through the test drive.... (I beat this, that and this and oh, from standing start from ........you get the point.)

Cheers

Shihab
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
"the torque where is it?"
after 4500 rpm
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

I test drove the M3 too and found that the torque wasn't there compared to my Dinan Stg III 335xi. I am changing cars due to the fact that the xi is a terrible handling car and rides like total crap, the turbos are ticking timebombs, and the 335xi engine just does nothing about 5.5k rpm.

The car pulls awesome 2k-5k but after that it gets winded and fades fast, plus there really is no emotion. The M car is pure sex and emotion. It is actually a better DD since you can drive it easy and get around and not burn gas like an idiot. The torque of teh 335 is addictive but not in the same way the V8 is.

Then when the 335xi gets going for me the brakes become an issue, they are weak compared to the M and the suspension as said is not even in the same category.

I have the 6AT too with step, it is not very good. Has a hard time "knowing" what to do, I have to drive it in DS mode all the time since in D it is just not responsive and the disconnect leaves me feeling unhappy with my car. I cant trust it to select the right gear and then it kicks down and races off when I wan tit to pull in that gear. You know the story.

AT really is best left off sports cars. AT should be in SUVs.

I think changing gearing might help the M3 (the 4.10 set).

I am looking at this as a chance to own a beautiful car that truly is the reference for a sports car and that still can be a DD car.

The engine is normally aspirated, you don't have to worry about turbo lag when you change Progman, you can keep the car updated over the years and no worry of shite turbos at 50k.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
The ///M is not for everyone. Good luck with your 335i.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
"the torque where is it?"
after 4500 rpm
haha, i was thinking about that too.

i owned a 335i, and i can honestly say that the m3 is leagues apart. it would be pointless to argue many of these points, but when you say that the M3 is un-involving or that the engine noise is muted, i'm wondering if we're talking about the same car?

@uae247, i don't think an m3 is what I would want either at $101,000 though! yikes!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep

i wasn't looking for arguments

just opinions.

I am going to drive the m3 today

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I had an e46 M3 and went to an e90 335.
I've done quite a bit to the 335 and I wanted to see the differences between the two.

This is not a 335 vs M3 thread.
I'm just posting my findings and realizations.

The M3 was extremely nice.
The sound is incredible!
The torque---where is it?

Now, I knew what I was stepping into. I knew that the torque was far less than mine (since I'm getting around 370 ft lbs at the wheels on 91), but I guess I was looking for the quick get up and go, and I was a bit dissapointed.
It seemed to me as if the e46 M3's gears were much lower and reved up a lot quicker than the e90 M3.
As soon as I pulled onto the street, I pressed the M button to take full advantage of the car.

As far as a daily driver, I really have to say that the 335i or ever a 335d would be a much better car.
Now, I know that the M3 is an unbelievable track car, but after taking my 335 to the track a couple times, I'd have to say that it's no slouch.
On top of everything, I'm currently getting 29 mpg on the highway.

I guess what I'm saying is that I was really tempted before I went to the dealer.
-I had my payoff in mind.
-I really wanted to take advantage of the .9%
-I was told that 4500 under sticker is reasonable
-I really thought I was going to drive away in the M3
But I wasn't sold.
I initially felt similarly to you when I went from the 335 to the M3, but after a few months of the M I've come to appreciate its brilliance. The issue is that you're trying to drive the M the same as the 335 (which is to say you're probably timing downshifts for expolosive and shortlived sudden bursts of acceleration). Once you learn the sweet spots on the M and get adapted to it, you'll feel the 335 is lacking (this was my experience as had my 335 for a couple months after I got the M). The engine is so responsive and the power is sick on the high end. It pulls amazingly well from 3000 rpm on up without hardly the need to downshift and downshifting doesn't produce the same jolt not just because of the turbos or the torque, but because the delta between gears and between different points on the tach is less, so you don't get that sudden jolt. Even around town, the ability to just mash the gas mid-turn and get instant and smooth power and taking sweepers and interchanges significantly faster is a ton of fun - no track needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
I initially felt similarly to you when I went from the 335 to the M3, but after a few months of the M I've come to appreciate its brilliance. The issue is that you're trying to drive the M the same as the 335 (which is to say you're probably timing downshifts for expolosive and shortlived sudden bursts of acceleration). Once you learn the sweet spots on the M and get adapted to it, you'll feel the 335 is lacking (this was my experience as had my 335 for a couple months after I got the M). The engine is so responsive and the power is sick on the high end. It pulls amazingly well from 3000 rpm on up without hardly the need to downshift and downshifting doesn't produce the same jolt not just because of the turbos or the torque, but because the delta between gears and between different points on the tach is less, so you don't get that sudden jolt. Even around town, the ability to just mash the gas mid-turn and get instant and smooth power and taking sweepers and interchanges significantly faster is a ton of fun - no track needed.
+1

Exactly how I feel when comparing drives between a 335 and the M3. And I've driven both on the road as well as the track (not on my own car yet).

It really comes down to how you drive it. Of course the 335 feels stronger down low because it has turbos, but after you spend some more time in an M3 and get back in the 335, you'll soon find more fault with the 335 and the lack of low-end torque in the M3 somehow becomes a non-issue. It will come down to throttle response and engine flexibility. The M3 is just a smoother and more rewarding engine. It keeps giving and giving the more you climb up the tach. On the other hand, the 335's turbo I6 gives you a nice kick of instant gratification immediately but what comes after that is quite pedestrian compared to what the M3 offers.

Like someone said, the M3 is not for everyone. But spend some more time with it and let it breath a bit more to its 8400 rpm rev limit and it can be.
      10-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

since the OP previously had an E46 M3 before, I'm sure he's already aware that the engine comes on after 5K. It does seem that the E46 was a little peppier in the low-mid range, but remember that everything on the E90 is stretched a little larger now. It's a similar comparison people made between the E36 and E46 M3. I'm guessing that you didn't get to open up beyond 5K on the test drive? As a prev M3 owner, I'm sure you remember that these engines tend to get stronger with some miles.

Even if you decide to keep the 335, it's still a win for you. The 335 is definitely a great car. Just don't lose sight of the fact that you are very fortunate to even be in this predicament (335 or M3?). A lot of people would kill to have such a choice.

My offer still stands on the test drive ....but I'm still in break in
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #15
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetrator View Post
since the OP previously had an E46 M3 before, I'm sure he's already aware that the engine comes on after 5K. It does seem that the E46 was a little peppier in the low-mid range, but remember that everything on the E90 is stretched a little larger now. It's a similar comparison people made between the E36 and E46 M3. I'm guessing that you didn't get to open up beyond 5K on the test drive? As a prev M3 owner, I'm sure you remember that these engines tend to get stronger with some miles.

Even if you decide to keep the 335, it's still a win for you. The 335 is definitely a great car. Just don't lose sight of the fact that you are very fortunate to even be in this predicament (335 or M3?). A lot of people would kill to have such a choice.

My offer still stands on the test drive ....but I'm still in break in
Yah, thanks again for the offer as well.
And to everyone else, I really appreciate your inputs.
I knew that I was really unable to hit the power band but it was a little hard to do it with the short time that I had, especially seeing the salesman in the passenger seat with the white knuckles holding on to the side of his seat after I hit the M button

I know that the 335 drops off much lower in rpms than the M3, but this is also a given. In mine, I lose power at 6100 rpm, so my shifting is around 6400ish range.
And, I totally agree that if I had the option of an NA engine or a turbo engine, I'd go NA all the way, but that is only if the specs are close the same.
I just have a feeling that I would get more exhausted driving the M3 around all day (since I drive 100 milse a day) since I would be shifting so damn much.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Another thing also that I'd like to add.
My e46 M3 got faster and faster after more and more miles I put on it.
I'm talking about real break in and not because of mods.
I'm sure the same is going to happen with the e90s.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
And, I totally agree that if I had the option of an NA engine or a turbo engine, I'd go NA all the way, but that is only if the specs are close the same.
I just have a feeling that I would get more exhausted driving the M3 around all day (since I drive 100 milse a day) since I would be shifting so damn much.
If you want that you're going to need cubic inches. Manufacturers make a range of cars to suit a range of tastes and there is an option here - maybe a C63 is more your cup of tea.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #18
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Sometimes its not in the torque or the revs ..sometimes its all about driving in an M car, and the looks you get with it, and special feeling of it all
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep

amen,
I just got mine today.. only drivin 15 miles but in love..
it was love at first test drive!!

I miss my 335i, was a great car, but I love my new m3 for sure!

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #20
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
amen,

Awesome, good choice!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #21
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
amen,

Congrats man!
I'm curious if you would have made that decision if you had the JB3.
If I was driving a stock 335, I'm sure that the M3 would have been absolutely amazing.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #22
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I have to ask you, as a moderator do you think that we really needed anothe 335i vs M3 thread?

Although, I do agree that the 335i is somewhat close in performance with a voided warranty but the point of the M3 is completely missed in that regard.

1. Gearing
2. LSD
3. Suspension
4. Last but certainly not least, the leather is a LOT nicer than in the vanilla 3er. I actually dread getting 3er loaners because it feels a lot worse. I think the novillo leather should be standard in all BMWs.

This may or may not add up in your book of being "worth it" but in the end it's up to your price/performance ratio. I could afford a much more expensive car but I don't see the need for it unless I only wanted to show off.
Appreciate 0