BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-22-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
tws_andrew
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 AW CP M5, Turbo S, TT Ram

First drive

Background - currently own a 600hp CLS55. Previously owned 3 M3s and various other cars. Drove a c63 last week and really liked it but the interior is really cheap and I found it very small. Looking to replace my CLS with a sporty new daily and the contenders were 996tt, c63, m3 and RS4.

The dealer told me a month ago they had the exact car I wanted coming. AW/Black with all options except sunroof and DCT. They had no previous DCT cars for me to drive and I loved SMg so I couldn't wait.

Overall I was really pleased at the interior room. C63 felt cramped. I am 6'5" but I do like small cars for my daily. I have a truck and an SUV for other needs so this is a somewhat sensible fun car. Interior quality is definatly a notch above the c63 but maybe one below the RS4.

First thing. The DCT was unreal. This was an 09 and I was not able to replicate any of the complaints. Like SMG but much better.
Handling is suberb!
Motor was nice but lacked tq. Anything lacks tq compared to my current ride (600rwtq and 4100rpm ;-) but I felt the motor was fine for my needs. I will SC the car when VF gets it done because it needs power to compete in the current world but I am ok with that

Didn't like the bulge in the hood especially from inside the car
Exhaust not is weak compared to my car and most everything else out there. All the sound is up front.

Overall was more impressed than I thought I would be. Likely to pick it up tomorrow. Will order exhaust, wheels and springs immediately and then think about SC when VF is done.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

pull the trigger, you won't be let down. it's a fantastic car is almost every regard. i agree with you that boat loads of torque is lacking, but what's nice about the m3's torque curve is it's flat and most of your torque is available throughout the RPMs. would be nice to have an additional 100ft/lbs though you'll really love the handling characteristics compared to mercedes as well. i've also driven both cars and the m3 handles much better in the twisties.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

CLS 55 AMG is amazing ride,there is no much more better cars in this world for that money..but try with M.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I know this is an M3 board, but hey, just so you know, someone posted a thread about a stage 1 tune producing something like ~550bhp outta the C63.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
Background - currently own a 600hp CLS55. Previously owned 3 M3s and various other cars. Drove a c63 last week and really liked it but the interior is really cheap and I found it very small. Looking to replace my CLS with a sporty new daily and the contenders were 996tt, c63, m3 and RS4.

The dealer told me a month ago they had the exact car I wanted coming. AW/Black with all options except sunroof and DCT. They had no previous DCT cars for me to drive and I loved SMg so I couldn't wait.

Overall I was really pleased at the interior room. C63 felt cramped. I am 6'5" but I do like small cars for my daily. I have a truck and an SUV for other needs so this is a somewhat sensible fun car. Interior quality is definatly a notch above the c63 but maybe one below the RS4.

First thing. The DCT was unreal. This was an 09 and I was not able to replicate any of the complaints. Like SMG but much better.
Handling is suberb!
Motor was nice but lacked tq. Anything lacks tq compared to my current ride (600rwtq and 4100rpm ;-) but I felt the motor was fine for my needs. I will SC the car when VF gets it done because it needs power to compete in the current world but I am ok with that

Didn't like the bulge in the hood especially from inside the car
Exhaust not is weak compared to my car and most everything else out there. All the sound is up front.

Overall was more impressed than I thought I would be. Likely to pick it up tomorrow. Will order exhaust, wheels and springs immediately and then think about SC when VF is done.
Try the M3, I also have a highly modded CLK AMG 5.5 with bigger axles, 40% locker diff, thermal intakes, lowered, 19", modded exhaust and yeh they go in a straight line, but have a stupid Auto gearbox but they don't handle like a M3.

I like driving the M3 over the AMG anyday, but in drag s**t that AMG goes but not all roads are straight.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

How much power do you really need in a straight line anyways? I mean, our cars will pretty much spank about 90% of the cars on the road today in the straights, and pretty 100% of them in the twisties.

I haven't driven a C63 but my brother in law picks up his today and I will let you guys know my impressions of it, and his for that matter as well, once I get a chance to fully experience the car for myself.

But with 2300km on my M3, so far no complaints!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
In day to day driving torque is the more desirable thing to have than high end HP. I happened to be driving the wife's humble GTI last night and doodling around in 6th at 2000rpm it surprised me how similar it's performance felt to that of my M3 at similar revs.

Almost everyone drives their cars at 20% their potential 90% of the time and it's here were torque is king. No doubt Bruce would back me up here.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
torredresen
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M3 09 E93 JzB Fox Red extended

Garage List
2005 Z4; 2.0  [0.00]
2005 Z4  [0.00]
The M3 is hot... But daaamn, A 996TT is hot aswell
No @ Audi or Merc
Good luck with your choice
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Yeh, the M3 is a all round well balance car and the AMG seems to be real sleeper when you line up at the lights. There like a wolfe in sheeps clothing, I have wiped the smile off many a face, the M3 on the other hand they see you and they know what there up against.

They are not as surprised as much when they come up against the M3 but the AMG fools them 8 times out of 10. But there's no way I would throw the AMG around like I do the M3, two different cars.

Ps. I get about 30% better fuel economy out of the M3, that AMG sure can drink.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

[QUOTE=MMMorish;3517732]How much power do you really need in a straight line anyways? I mean, our cars will pretty much spank about 90% of the cars on the road today in the straights, and pretty 100% of them in the twisties.

+1 agree!
Appreciate 0