BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

OEM Exhaust Mod - Rattle at startup

So I have a modified OEM muffler (ACM mod) paired with test pipes. Alpine Stage 2 tune, cold start still active. As of recent, I've had an obnoxious rattle coming from the rear of the car that my shop and I have identified as likely coming from within the muffler/rear section itself. It lasts about 10 seconds when the car is initially started, and goes away after that. Sometimes comes back at low RPM in 1st gear. It literally sounds like 2 pieces of metal violently banging together (I'll get a video when the car is back from the shop).

This is my second e9x with the same exhaust setup. 7 years total between the two cars and I have never experienced or heard of others having this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am looking at my options and right now it seems like I'll have to find a new muffler/box. I would think opening up the muffler, attempting to find & fix the issue (which is still unknown) may be going down a rabbit hole.
      03-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Cracked weld, harmonics on cold start causing the rattle.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
noremaC241.50
      03-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Yes, very irritating. Ran 2 pipe OEM mode for years. Started to develop a rattle that goes on till its warmed up (i.e. far longer than yours, you're lucky...). Took it to the shop TWICE, paid good money just to still have the rattle. These days I've kinda got used to it, swapped back to my original for a while which was nice, tried Borla ATAK as well as S system, back to my rattle can dreaming about a Corsa next time around but 3k+ Euro landed have hold me back...
Appreciate 1
noremaC241.50
      03-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

I have a Corsa with which the two prongs (point at one another) that slide into the hangers at the very rear of the muffler would rattle against one another on cold start.

More likely that they rattle against one another on the Corsa because the cans are independent and so can move towards each other but throwing it out there just in case.
      03-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #5
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Yes, very irritating. Ran 2 pipe OEM mode for years. Started to develop a rattle that goes on till its warmed up (i.e. far longer than yours, you're lucky...). Took it to the shop TWICE, paid good money just to still have the rattle. These days I've kinda got used to it, swapped back to my original for a while which was nice, tried Borla ATAK as well as S system, back to my rattle can dreaming about a Corsa next time around but 3k+ Euro landed have hold me back...
That's what I'm afraid of. Spending $$$ to open up, re-weld the crack/break, close back up and end up in the same place a few months down the road.

I'm also toying with the idea of just going back to the OEM muffler (still with test pipes intact) to quiet this puppy down + I've never tried this combo. Test pipes + ACM mod is LOUD, obnoxious and drones like a SOB. It just also happens to sound fantastic, which makes this a difficult decision LOL!

I really don't want to spend $$$$ on an aftermarket unit as I am likely moving to a new platform after being on this one since 2014, early next year 😳