BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Bluedoor2002
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 - Interlagos Blue

Returning to BMW via a 2009 E90

Just wanted to share with people that would understand...I just ordered a 2009 E90.

My first car was a 1971 BMW-2002 which I bought from my mother (original owner) and rebuilt in 1988 (engine, transmission, suspension, wheels). I didn't really appreciate at the time how nicely balanced and the advantage of good engineering which delivered what it promised. I was young and broke and really believed that every car would be at least that good. After almost a dozen other cars (none a BMW) and about 400,000 miles driven, I have never connected with a car like my 2002. I've been watching BMW over the last decade and always felt like I wouldn't get my monies worth. After fighting with my current Infiniti Dealer and refusing to give them another penny, I went back to shopping and was struck by how nicely configured the new 335i's are. Like with all my car purchases, I read everything I can; reviews, comparisons, negative feed back, blogs and I was continuously impressed with the 335i. I stopped by and test drove the 335i convertible and thought I found my next "best friend" with that great torque curve.

But sitting in the dealership staring at the M3, I was seduced. Literally, as I'm configuring a new 335i, the M3 is whispering to me..."look at me!! I'm what you really want. Just test drive me once, that's all I ask". The M3 looks so great and I figured I would take the opportunity to run one around the block. I knew the HP was much better but the torque was only a little higher than the 335i so I was prepared to be underwhelmed and further bolstered in my 335i purchase. All I can say is WOW!! While I've never really gotten a good feel for a car in a test drive, the M3 feels fantastic. Sure, the easily accessed torque of the 335i is great but the V8 in the M3 is a dream. Hear I was trying to marry a great girl (335i) but kissed the M3 on the way to the church and couldn't walk through the door. I hadn't even read a single word about the new M3 and knew nothing other than quick read of the dealer-sticker. I spent the next day in turmoil and actually looked for reasons not to by the M3. The only thing I found was more reasons to buy it. I had already resigned myself to give up my 6MT because all my loner cars were the AT G35 and I realized I didn't really shift any better than the AT did (and often I'm too lazy to shift even that well). It was the DCT and the programmability of performance parameters that really sold me. The DCT is the perfect half-step between a manual and auto transmission. So I left my original intended and purchase the M3 sedan.

Not as sexy as a convertible, but I figured with the M3 performance, styling and toys were enough. The convertible M3 was priced just too high for me to be comfortable. Already $65k is a lot for any car and after having a G35 coupe for the last 3 years, I miss a real trunk and I'm tired of waiting for people to craw into the back seats. I never would admit it but I'm excited for 4-doors and a trunk that is useful.

Sorry for the rambles. I felt I needed to tell someone that might understand my sudden found glee in purchasing a M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

great story! congratulations on your order! we always welcome 335 holdouts! it really is a brilliant car and flawless in almost every way. you'll really love the machine.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Congrats !!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
335 has higher torque throughout most of the powerband.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

nice text,congrats.
Appreciate 0