BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

M3 "nice to have" / missing items

Hello to everyone!

Although I have been passively following the M3 post since Sept 2007 i.e. since the time I was actively looking to purchase the new M3, this is my first post after all this time. I have been following all thread discussions since then on daily basis and I have to say that the user feedback has been outstanding and extremely useful for my choices. This is why I feel that M3 post is and will continue to be part of my M3 experience and I have always been educated and informed about what has been going on all sorts of issues. Of particular interest and importance to me at the time of my choice has been the constructive user feedback gained on DCT issues including (but not limited to) information on the M3 DCT release date, performance related issues, shortfalls/drawbacks as well as positives of the DCT, the recent progman 31.1 upgrade release etc. This post has been my decisive factor to go for the new M3 and more specifically for the DCT. It is really priceless to have access to all the valuable information coming from user feedback, which is particularly important in the small (for the time being) M3 market of Athens, Greece which is where I am located.

I have been an owner of a white M3 DCT coupe since 30 June 08, being the 2nd car on Greek roads at the time. I loaded the car with all performance related accessories (like M-drive, EDC etc) and left out most of the "comfort" related accessories (like adaptive headlights etc). I have been a BMW owner since I was 18 (now 31) but never a M3 owner. Owning an M3 has been a dream since I was 10, a dream which came true on 30 June 2008 - a few days after my 31st birthday. Probably it would take pages to express my overwhelmingly positive feelings on this car and how happy I have been with it performance wise, comfort wise, and all this whilst being totally trouble free! I am in love with my car and I am a happier man every single day that I drive it! The car currently has 6,400kms, all full of only the best driving emotions!

Anyway, at this stage I felt I would give you my personal perspective on what the current M3 is missing if it was to be THE perfect car. By no means does this imply that I am unhappy with my M3 - to the contrary, as I stated above, I cannot be a happier man every time I drive it!

So here are my views on "nice to have" missing items (apologies in advance for the long thread):

Performance related issues:

1. Interface to download data to PC.
Data such as rpm, car speed, longitudinal & transverse acceleration values, coolant (water and oil) temperatures, brake performance proxies (eg brake disk and/or brake fluid temperatures if available), gear selection, vehicle tracking / position (via gps), remaining fuel in tanks, ambient temperature, warnings produced, and any other relevant track data, could be downloaded / extracted (via a USB cable or a USB stick) into a BMW or non-BMW PC software application for performance evaluation eg after a track day. At the end of the day, everything is in there, so why not be able to extract it and use if for car and/or driver performance evaluation?!
(PS. The list of downloadable data described above is not exhaustive, just indicative)

2. Less weight.
Surprisingly enough to me, this has not been much of a debate point in previous M3 posts - just a couple of threads here and there over time. In my mind this is probably THE MOST single most important point when it comes to performance. That's where it all starts from when performance kicks in. It really strikes me when I read about all the weight & performance improvements of the new M3 engine (the S65B40 power unit is really a masterpiece of modern engineering - straight out of F1 cutting edge R&D), and then all this brilliant work gets "spoilt" so to say due to the overall vehicle weight which has increased, in spite of aluminum use in almost the entire body work, suspension and engine! How did BMW manage to build such a heavy car I wonder… Anyway, not much that can be done at this point I guess - maybe this is a whole new point / era of thinking in the development of new BMW performance (M and non M) vehicles in the future. It is very easy to load the car with accessories and extras and at the same time very difficult to maintain a weight reduction discipline. I know BMW is not Elise, I know that the M3 is (at least in my mind) THE best of both worlds (performance & comfort) thus probably the best all round vehicle accounting for the "optimal" balance between performance and comfort over the widest possible driving conditions (from track to city traffic driving). However I feel that the focus should really be in weight reduction going forward if BMW wants to improve in performance. Otherwise every kilogram of weight which is conveniently added in the name of comfort, will have to be counterbalanced with exponentially higher amount of engine power to compensate for the loss in performance (I am not only talking only straight line acceleration here, but also cornering and braking performance). In my mind weight considerations should really be the driving factor in BMW's design board going forward. Until then however, there is one single simple thing that can be offered to the customers enabling some weight reduction, namely offer more "delete options". For instance, I couldn't care less about the electric moving seats. I would rather save this weight (I would guess some 10kgs per seat) by simply being able to delete this feature. Maybe there could be more delete options which I can't think of?

3. Brakes:
I know this has been a hot topic with long tread correspondence and lots of feelings. Simple solution: BMW could offer a multiplication caliper upgrade package as an extra and let the customer choose whether to go for it or not!
Looks could have also been much better also with the customer being able to chose on the color (red / yellow / black?) of the calipers.

4. DCT related.
With progman 31.1 BMW did a beautiful job in my experience and also as many of you have reported so far. I will not repeat all the observations here as these have already been discussed in extenso in other DCT upgrade dedicated threads. But here is what I am missing from DCT:
(i) Shifts at redline whilst in S mode:
A useful function which I would have liked to see in a future upgrade is for the driver to have the ability when pressing the kick down button whilst in S mode to automatically up shift just before reaching the rpm limiter. Of course if one does not want to make use of this (i.e. wants to shift wherever deemed appropriate) then he would simply not press the kick down button whilst accelerating, and the gear change would be manually commanded at any point in time via the paddles or shifter.
(ii) More effective Launch Control (LC):
I am not using LC in its current form. And I am not using it for 2 simple but very important reasons: (a) too complicated to implement i.e. too many steps to bother with - I need something readily available at a click of a button (why not?), and (b) traction in city roads here in Greece is limited by coefficients of friction which are next to zero, so there is no way to launch in a controlled and fast manner if the clutch is dumped anywhere after 3000rpm (actually you cant drive the care here in 1-2-3 gear unless DSC - or at least MDM - is enabled). There will be lots of wheel spin and the car will go nowhere. What I need is (a) a simple way to enable LC and (ii) an effective LC! For (a) wouldn't it be simpler for the driver eg to press a button or to hold both paddles back in order to enable LC? Why would we have to press DSC off, put DCT to S6, press fwd the shifter, press the gas all the way down, adjust rpm (which need adjustment every time!) and then release the shifter?! I mean this may sound simple but why so many steps? Why not enable LC just at the click of a button or when pulling both paddles together? About launch rpm, why can't these be stored once and for all in i-Drive or in M-Drive? On item (b) I would prefer for the software to account for the most effective launch under all conditions i.e. also in the case of poor traction.
In summary, for me the ideal LC system would be the one which can be activated instantly and the one which produces the "perfect" launch under all conditions (i.e. minimal wheel tire + maximum engine power take off = perfect launch at any conditions).

Comfort related issues:

5. DVD playback also on the move.
This of course relates to the '09 i-Drive as the previous version does not allow DVD playback at all. I know this is a safety issue but really what is the point in having a DVD player which does not work when cruising? I guess one can use this feature eg whilst waiting children to come off school etc, but then how long can one wait in the car (15-20mins) that he has to watch a DVD? I just don't get the logic here.
I would have liked to see DVD playback on the move because that would have been really useful when travelling long hours. Of course the driver should pay attention to the road and not to the screen (the passengers can see the screen and the driver occasionally), and this is the same when using GPS, talking to the phone, talking to someone in the car etc. The attention of the driver in any case needs to stay with the car in all previous examples so I just don't see why no DVD playback allowed...

6. More body and interior color options.
An M3 in Greece starts from E90,000 (c$120,000) which places it well above the average cost of a luxury car. The M3 is a luxury sports car, i.e. an all round car combining luxury with performance. I was a bit surprised to see the limited exterior and interior color choices a potential owner of such a luxury car has. We are talking about 12 exterior colors (4 of which are black, 3 are silver or gray tones, and 2 are blue) and just 3 extended leather color choices (plus 2 more non-extended but these are pretty similar). I just feel more choice can be given.

7. Option to replace ashtray with sunglass tray.
I saw this as a mod the other day and felt it would be a good idea for non-smokers (like myself) to have this as free option.

8. Glove compartment & storing spaces on doors.
I find this pretty low in volume and therefore (i) of limited use, and (ii) awkward to use. Has anyone tried to place a CD or DVD case (not to mention anything larger) in the storing spaces in the doors? It is mission impossible for me unless you really go for it, but then if you force it in you cant get it out. If the item I want to store in the door compartment is too small then my hand cant reach to pull it out because the opening is small. If the item is too large then it won't fit in. Apart from the door compartment, the glove compartment could have been designed to be of much larger volume… Not a biggie but why not a bit bigger / more convenient storing compartments?

9. Foldable armrest at the back seats.
Another nice to have feature which seems to be missing. Again, not a biggie.

10. Larger fuel tanks.
Millage has also been a topic of some long thread correspondence over time. In my mind, an all round vehicle such as the M3 should embody a fuel tank offering a range / autonomy in the region of 450 - 500km within city limits. In my experience and according to my driving style & conditions (70% city traffic, 30% national road for most of the times; driving style: aggressive whenever traffic allows it i.e. some 25% of the time), I average out 370 - 390km per full tank of premium fuel within the city. This will of course improve if driving over a long trip on a national road with no traffic & steady speed, but still within city limits I have to refuel every 4 days, which is a bit annoying. Therefore I would have liked to see a 80lt tank capacity, which allows for an improved range (the weight of a larger tank itself does not add much to the weight of the car - maybe another kilo or so). I guess BMW may have thought of this and probably there are space or weight distribution considerations for choosing a combined fuel tank capacity of 63lt…

This is basically my feedback on improvements or "nice to have" features on the M3 which comes as a result of my driving experience over the past 4 months.

One again apologies for the long thread, I just felt I should give a little bit of a background on each one of the points. I hope you guys take the time to read and respond with some constructive feedback if you have any! Your comments / additions / criticism on the above list are more than welcome and who knows, maybe we could see some interesting improvements in the near future coming from the BMW development guys who may be keeping an eye on M3 post!

Thanks and good day to all!

Stefanos
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

You held back from ever posting and start with a gargantuan post
Congrats on your white E92 Stefanos. I am one to read long posts but this was reeeaallllly long !

Performance related issues:

1. Interface to download data to PC.
Yes good idea

2. weight.

My guess is the M3 weight is mainly from extra reinforcment needed to increase rigidity of the chassis for better handling and predictability. Some people have said that the chassis could probably handle much more than 414 hp. The M3 is 20.5% heavier than the 911 GT3 and only 3.5% lighter than the Nissan GT-R. For a better comparison if you look at weight over (wheelbase*drivetrain) area you get:
M3: 872 lbs/m^2. GT3: 855 lb/m^2 GT-R: 862 lbs/m^2
Either way you look at it the M3 is heavy.

4. DCT related.

Comfort related issues:
sorry 6MTFTW

5. DVD playback also on the move.
A security issue nothing to do with any specific car

6. More body and interior color options.
$120,000 that's steep. Luxury cars import tax like Australia ?

10. Larger fuel tanks.
more weight
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Nitromethane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY09 e92 M3

I concur with:

1. Data link
5. Its nice to let passengers catch a movie on a long trip
7. I don't smoke
*10. Range!!!!

Though I'm pretty much on board with everything else, I'm pretty saddened by the range the car has. In the past, I've always been able to go to Vegas on 1 gas tank. It looks like I'm going to have to stop in Barstow now... at least there is In-N-Out burger there.
      11-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

In addition to what's mentioned above, I would say HUD. I have it on my M5 and had it on the M6 as well and it's a great option to have especially when using the navigation system.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Nitromethane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY09 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
In addition to what's mentioned above, I would say HUD. I have it on my M5 and had it on the M6 as well and it's a great option to have especially when using the navigation system.
Having the HUD for basic info and navigation while passengers watch a DVD would be SWEEET.
      11-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

HUD and Night Vision, and leather roof liner
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

A readout with all sorts of vehicle dynamics info like the GTR has would be cool.

A HUD would have been really nice, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cupholders large enough to accomodate my McLargeHugeSize drink cups.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

HUD like on my 535, rear seat center folding armrest would be nice, less weight is always a good thing, factory alarm, floormats included, more torque from the otherwise heavenly V8, shorter throw 6MT shifter, programmable Home Link - not just fake Home Link buttons, shift lights for the 6MT (can't believe these are not included on the 6MT).....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
HUD, have it in my X5 and find it hard to drive a car without.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
HUD like on my 535, rear seat center folding armrest would be nice, less weight is always a good thing, factory alarm, floormats included, more torque from the otherwise heavenly V8, shorter throw 6MT shifter, programmable Home Link - not just fake Home Link buttons, shift lights for the 6MT (can't believe these are not included on the 6MT).....
Rear seat armrest is standard, isn't it??

Other wants:
* REALLY need an indicator panel that shows current status of EDC, throttles, and traction control.
* I'd like a heated steering wheel (fixed in '09, I think).
* Front park-distance control
* Alcantara headliner would be nice, as would leather upholstery on the visors
* Brake calipers that look nice, optionally color-keyed (I'd pay), with either ///M logo or Roundel
* Agreed on wanting the HUD
* Thumbwheel on the steering wheel that duplicates the iDrive controller -- that way I could REALLY keep my hands on the wheel at all times.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #12
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Rear armrest: Is there one as standard? I don't think so...

Indicator panel for EDC, throtle & traction control: Isn't this available via the leds in the 3 buttons (DSC, EDC, POWER) next to the gearchange lever?

Front PDC: I though that this is available currently as an option.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I think it would be nice to have a FRICKEN DIPSTICK!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

twin turbo
      11-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I think it would be nice to have a FRICKEN DIPSTICK!
yea seriously this. wtf bmw?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Night vision, option for more leather and an oil DIPSTICK! All other suggestions are good, but these are the ones that mean the most to me. If

BTW, in the US front PDC is not available, even though I read rumblings (somewhere on the internet) about this changing for '09.

IIRC, the DVD will play while moving but you only hear it -- no video. I'd like to see an A/V input and a set of video outputs so that you could easily wire up LCD screens behind the front headrests. A TV tuner in the US (with the new digital standard) would also be a nice option.
      11-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Rear armrest: Is there one as standard? I don't think so...
Maybe US-only??

Quote:
Indicator panel for EDC, throtle & traction control: Isn't this available via the leds in the 3 buttons (DSC, EDC, POWER) next to the gearchange lever?
Sorta. What does one LED on the EDC button mean? Is that Auto or Comfort? A display (on the instrument panel or the iDrive display) that has real information, rather than codes, would be my preference.

Quote:
Front PDC: I though that this is available currently as an option.
And let me add that I REALLY miss the adaptive cruise control I had on my 335i. I'd like that to be an option...admittedly, pricey, but at least give me the choice.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

A half liter more displacement... that's it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
twin turbo
twin-turbo + nitrous fogger!!!

and a flame retardant //M-jumpsuit
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
woshimihei
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 DCT / 997.2 GT3RS

wow.it's really long enough.very nice article!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #21
gtlexec
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 - on order

Yasoo Stefanos -

Congratulations on your new car (Mehya)!

Great write-up and observations.

If I may, I would like to add two to the improvement list.

SSK - Short Shift Kit
While I know you have a DCT transmission, the folks that opt for a manual transmission should be given the option of a short shift kit. The M3 manual throws are way too long. Like your upgraded brake solution, this could be an option that a customer orders at a premium and does not have to go the route of BWM Performance Parts.

Sport or Racing Exhaust
Here again, this option could be a premium order (personalization choice) when spec'ing out your M3. So many folks here have written about and changed their exhaust as the stock exhaust is too quite and not fitting of such a fine V8 engine! Once again, BMW Performance offers sports exhausts for the 135. Why not offer it for the M3?

Kalia Taxhithia

A fellow Greek - living in the USA.

GLatsis
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #22
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3

I agree on the dipstick and the sport exhaust, though I have a Remus Race on order. If BMW offered a nice sounding sport exhaust, I'd have probably ordered it with the car.
Appreciate 0