R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-09-2023, 08:17 PM   #1
f80.zay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

F80 Battery Question

I got this 18' f80 m3 from auction and it came stationary even though copart advertised it as run and drive. Anyways, I've almost everything i could think of to get it fired up. l My suspicion from the get go was that I wasn't getting enough juice from the battery so I hooked it up to a regular battery charger. I've come to learn (thanks to a redditor) that you can't put a lithium battery on a regular charger. Even though it never cranked before, now I know my battery is gone. I then tried to put a normal lead acid battery, and I get crank but no start up.
Do i just need to get a new lithium battery? Because even when I hooked up the lead battery, I got a message saying "electrical power supply limited."
If someone knows anything, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 12:55 AM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80.zay View Post
I got this 18' f80 m3 from auction and it came stationary even though copart advertised it as run and drive. Anyways, I've almost everything i could think of to get it fired up. l My suspicion from the get go was that I wasn't getting enough juice from the battery so I hooked it up to a regular battery charger. I've come to learn (thanks to a redditor) that you can't put a lithium battery on a regular charger. Even though it never cranked before, now I know my battery is gone. I then tried to put a normal lead acid battery, and I get crank but no start up.
Do i just need to get a new lithium battery? Because even when I hooked up the lead battery, I got a message saying "electrical power supply limited."
You cannot use a normal lead acid battery on this car, there is a work around but I am not 100% sure if it works. You need to get a new lithium battery either OEM or aftermarket and register it to the car.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 04:54 AM   #3
gerri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 - E46 318Ci Cabrio

If the engine cranks but won't start it's not the battery's fault, others have already tried AGM batteries and the car runs. The error is because you don't have a cable with the IBS.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 06:41 AM   #4
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80.zay View Post
What voltage is your lithium battery reading? Definitely don’t put it on a normal charger as it can overcharge the battery and open the internal safety fuse. Try charging it using a lithium compatible charger and see if that works.

Your error codes come up because the car is looking for information from the battery monitoring system built into the battery. It’s the third wire which I believe is blue/red and plugs in near the negative post.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 08:30 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I’ve got a spare BMW battery leftover from when I wrecked my F82. PM me if you need it cheap.