Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-21-2023, 03:55 PM   #1
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Hey everyone,

I went to get the pre winter season inspection and maintenance done at the dealership and was informed the front struts are leaking. I was a bit surprised since my car has only has about 50,000mi on it but it is what it is.

My question is, for those of you that have replaced the struts, what did you go with? The car has EDC with CS/GTS coding.

My car is currently lowered on MS springs but I will definitely a consider a coil over suspension set up now. I do not track the car and it is a daily driver. I am looking for a happy balance of comfort and performance.

Let me know what your opinions are. Thanks in advance!

Also, just for a fun fact the dealership quoted me just over $6000CA for new front struts and install! 🤣. That's insane!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:08 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YXEM5 View Post
Hey everyone,

I went to get the pre winter season inspection and maintenance done at the dealership and was informed the front struts are leaking. I was a bit surprised since my car has only has about 50,000mi on it but it is what it is.

My question is, for those of you that have replaced the struts, what did you go with?

My car is currently lowered on MS springs but I will definitely a consider a coil over suspension set up now. I do not track the car and it is a daily driver. I am looking for a happy balance of comfort and performance.

Let me know what your opinions are. Thanks in advance!

Also, just for a fun fact the dealership quoted me just over $6000CA for new front struts and install! 🤣. That's insane!
Do you have EDC or the passive suspension?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:15 PM   #3
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Do you have EDC or the passive suspension?
Apologies as I forgot to specify that. The car is equipped with the EDC suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:22 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Apologies as I forgot to specify that. The car is equipped with the EDC suspension.
If I were you, I would get Bilstein B6 struts and then code the CS EDC.

Not sure you are comfortable with purchasing through ECS.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...31-246217~bil/

But for FCP Euro, it's out of stock.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...17#description

CS Tune for EDC
https://bimmer-remote.com/products/g...-m3-m4-f80-f82

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 2
YXEM5185.00
phefner370.50
      09-21-2023, 05:26 PM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

could also try the Evolve-tuned Bilstein B6 Damptronics
      09-21-2023, 05:28 PM   #6
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
If I were you, I would get Bilstein B6 struts and then code the CS EDC.

Not sure you are comfortable with purchasing through ECS.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...31-246217~bil/

But for FCP Euro, it's out of stock.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...17#description

CS Tune for EDC
https://bimmer-remote.com/products/g...-m3-m4-f80-f82
Thanks for the info, I'll check into this. My car already has the CS EDC coding done so that's a bonus!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:29 PM   #7
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
could also try the Evolve-tuned Bilstein B6 Damptronics
I will look at these as well!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:49 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
I will look at these as well!
Here's the link to the specific ones.

https://evolveautomotive.com/product...ca175509&_ss=r

Appreciate 1
YXEM5185.00
      09-22-2023, 10:44 AM   #9
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

I agree with the above comments, but think you need to back up a few steps first.

(1) Do you want to keep EDC, or you don’t care? This is probably the first step to guide you in which direction you’ll go with respect to options. There are many more non-EDC options than EDC options.

(2) Do you want a true coilover setup, or are you ok with matching aftermarket dampers and springs? You had mentioned coilovers, but the recommendations above are primarily for dampers.

If you wish to maintain EDC, but don’t necessarily need a true coilover setup, one of your best options (as indicated above) may be the new Bilstein-Evolve dampers as they should work with your MS springs. Reviews on them have been positive.

If you wish to maintain EDC, but in a true coilover setup, you might want to consider the KW DDC’s. They are known to be more comfortable. I’ve also read decent reviews on the tractive coilover setup.

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
YXEM5185.00
      09-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #10
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
I agree with the above comments, but think you need to back up a few steps first.

(1) Do you want to keep EDC, or you don’t care? This is probably the first step to guide you in which direction you’ll go with respect to options. There are many more non-EDC options than EDC options.

(2) Do you want a true coilover setup, or are you ok with matching aftermarket dampers and springs? You had mentioned coilovers, but the recommendations above are primarily for dampers.

If you wish to maintain EDC, but don’t necessarily need a true coilover setup, one of your best options (as indicated above) may be the new Bilstein-Evolve dampers as they should work with your MS springs. Reviews on them have been positive.

If you wish to maintain EDC, but in a true coilover setup, you might want to consider the KW DDC’s. They are known to be more comfortable. I’ve also read decent reviews on the tractive coilover setup.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated 🙏🏼.

Right now I want to keep EDC. It's not that it matters to me, I simply prefer to retain as much OEM functionality as possible.

Some height adjustment might be nice simply for winter season to allow more clearance for snow and ruts. It's a nice to have as I have gone through the winter lowered. Just resulted in some unwanted rubs and hang ups.

Right now I'm considering the B6D as recommended but I have read it will increase the front ride height slightly. I don't want the front to be raised higher permanently. Does anyone have any more info on that?

B16 coilovers seem to have mixed reviews but seem like an option. KW DDC is another one but it's price point is the least attractive. I will look into tractive right now.

Thanks again! It doesn't seem like there is a clear answer on what is best route.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 11:31 AM   #11
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

You’re welcome. No, there is no clear answer.

Personally, I would look into Bilstein-Evolve dampers before the B6D. But, YES, it will raise the height a little bit. Also, the ONLY height adjustable springs that work with the Bilstein-Evolve dampers are their MSS dampers, which sit higher. Several people have installed Eibach springs with them, which have a nice stance (but not height adjustable).

If height adjustability is important to you, you probably want to stick with a true coilover setup. The common consensus on the Bilstein coilovers is that they are entirely too stiff, which does not appear to be what you are looking for.
I think you would mostly be looking at KW DDC’s or the tractive setup. FYI, though, KW DDC’s actually sit really low, so you’ll likely need spring spacers with them.
Appreciate 1
YXEM5185.00
      09-22-2023, 12:01 PM   #12
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
You’re welcome. No, there is no clear answer.

Personally, I would look into Bilstein-Evolve dampers before the B6D. But, YES, it will raise the height a little bit. Also, the ONLY height adjustable springs that work with the Bilstein-Evolve dampers are their MSS dampers, which sit higher. Several people have installed Eibach springs with them, which have a nice stance (but not height adjustable).

If height adjustability is important to you, you probably want to stick with a true coilover setup. The common consensus on the Bilstein coilovers is that they are entirely too stiff, which does not appear to be what you are looking for.
I think you would mostly be looking at KW DDC’s or the tractive setup. FYI, though, KW DDC’s actually sit really low, so you’ll likely need spring spacers with them.
Great info, thanks for clearing up the height issue with the B6D. I'm going to look into the Evolve Tuned dampers a bit closer and the Tractive setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 02:21 PM   #13
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

If it's straight up a daily driver, I would just get a good damper+spring combo. Aftermarket coilovers are a headache and just don't last as long, in most cases.

Alternatively, I'd search for slightly used OEM EDC dampers. While you're in there, could do a CS suspension retrofit.

$6k for front struts and install is total bullshit. They're like 400 bucks a corner?
      09-22-2023, 02:28 PM   #14
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If it's straight up a daily driver, I would just get a good damper+spring combo. Aftermarket coilovers are a headache and just don't last as long, in most cases.

Alternatively, I'd search for slightly used OEM EDC dampers. While you're in there, could do a CS suspension retrofit.
Solid advice and I am leaning to the spring/damper combo. If I got coils it would turn into a set it and forget it set up, which kind of defeats the point of the extra adjustment coils give you. The evolve x bilstein dampers have caught my attention. Just trying to find more info (and pics) of how much height is added. I am very happy with my current drop, and would like to keep it the same.

I didn't think about looking into CS components as well. Thank you for the suggestion, it would be an opportune time to sneak in a few other small upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:24 PM   #15
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Solid advice and I am leaning to the spring/damper combo. If I got coils it would turn into a set it and forget it set up, which kind of defeats the point of the extra adjustment coils give you. The evolve x bilstein dampers have caught my attention. Just trying to find more info (and pics) of how much height is added. I am very happy with my current drop, and would like to keep it the same.

I didn't think about looking into CS components as well. Thank you for the suggestion, it would be an opportune time to sneak in a few other small upgrades.
couple threads on the evolve bilsteins:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1936238&page=6

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa....222370/page-9

I run Ohlins so cannot comment on the Bilsteins.
      09-22-2023, 03:51 PM   #16
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
couple threads on the evolve bilsteins:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1936238&page=6

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa....222370/page-9

I run Ohlins so cannot comment on the Bilsteins.

Which Ohlins setup are you running? Happy with it??
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 12:44 PM   #17
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Non edc and the default spring rate is too much for people not tracking. 3dm makes a ohlins kit with more street oriented rates. I won my regions autocross class championship with a base rt set.
Appreciate 1
YXEM5185.00
      09-27-2023, 11:38 AM   #18
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I've decided to roll the dice on a set of B16 coilovers.

Since I'm pulling the suspension out again, anyone have any recommendations for other parts I should be replacing or looking at?

Thanks,
Chad
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 12:58 PM   #19
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I've decided to roll the dice on a set of B16 coilovers.

Since I'm pulling the suspension out again, anyone have any recommendations for other parts I should be replacing or looking at?

Thanks,
Chad
Replace Brakes (Pads, Rotors, or both) if they are worn
Control Arm Bushings if they are worn or cracked
Upgrade to stainless steel brake lines (if you want)

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 04:28 PM   #20
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

do not forget OEM top mounts including new bolts. i retained mine and they went bust right after putting the ohlins on. similar mileage to your car.
      09-29-2023, 04:33 PM   #21
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Non edc and the default spring rate is too much for people not tracking. 3dm makes a ohlins kit with more street oriented rates. I won my regions autocross class championship with a base rt set.
yes, with the 90/190, it was too stiff for under-50-mph street use. changed to 80/160 spring rates and at 18 clicks, it's finally bearable, dare I say much better than with the original setup. I would definitely go for the revalved ohlins from 3dm or turner if I lived in the US and was not tracking the car a few times year.

curious to hear about bilsteins. not many run them.
      09-29-2023, 05:08 PM   #22
YXEM5
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
do not forget OEM top mounts including new bolts. i retained mine and they went bust right after putting the ohlins on. similar mileage to your car.
Good call on that. Did you do the rear as well or just the front?
Appreciate 0