Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
BruskSeeKShots
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Best options for roll races?

Hey guys, I have a 2017 bmw m3 on a bm3 OTS 91 stage 1 tune right now (going stage 2 e30 in a month), and was wondering how I can get the most out of the car in a roll race. As in what’s the best roll speed for these cars and what modes do you use, no traction, mdm, manual mode, automatic, etc, and also what rpm is optimal to shift at. I have been using S3 on manual mode and shifting at around 7k rpm, but I don’t know if that’s optimal for power or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 05:06 PM   #2
Sloblk8
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruskSeeKShots View Post
Hey guys, I have a 2017 bmw m3 on a bm3 OTS 91 stage 1 tune right now (going stage 2 e30 in a month), and was wondering how I can get the most out of the car in a roll race. As in what’s the best roll speed for these cars and what modes do you use, no traction, mdm, manual mode, automatic, etc, and also what rpm is optimal to shift at. I have been using S3 on manual mode and shifting at around 7k rpm, but I don’t know if that’s optimal for power or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I'd go ahead and get the bm3 flex fuel kit and run you could run a higher ethanol. Especially if you only have access to 91. It's not too expensive and would serve you well.

Also then you could use the antilag feature which would help with rolls.

As far as gearing etc, I usually try to be around 4k or above depending on speed. Even on 93 I spin pretty bad in 2nd but 3rd would bog so if possible I try to be a little higher mph/rpm for tractions sake when I'm in 2nd. If I'm on my e85 flex fuel or my custom e85 maps 2nd gear is useless so I have to be in 3rd.

Also most of the time I'm in MDM and traction control isn't too intrusive but off is better. Always in manual mode so there's no time loss when the car downshifts as well as avoiding abrupt power delivery for traction. Also being able to be in control of the gear you want to be in. I drive in manual pretty much 100 percent of the time. Warm the car up in auto and as soon as she's warm swith to manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 05:10 PM   #3
BruskSeeKShots
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloblk8 View Post
I'd go ahead and get the bm3 flex fuel kit and run you could run a higher ethanol. Especially if you only have access to 91. It's not too expensive and would serve you well.

Also then you could use the antilag feature which would help with rolls.

As far as gearing etc, I usually try to be around 4k or above depending on speed. Even on 93 I spin pretty bad in 2nd but 3rd would bog so if possible I try to be a little higher mph/rpm for tractions sake when I'm in 2nd. If I'm on my e85 flex fuel or my custom e85 maps 2nd gear is useless so I have to be in 3rd.

Also most of the time I'm in MDM and traction control isn't too intrusive but off is better. Always in manual mode so there's no time loss when the car downshifts as well as avoiding abrupt power delivery for traction. Also being able to be in control of the gear you want to be in. I drive in manual pretty much 100 percent of the time. Warm the car up in auto and as soon as she's warm swith to manual.
Oh okay so you are saying that with the flex fuel kit I can pretty much run any ethanol percentage and the time will adjust for it? What fuel do you usually run as I heard e30 and e50 are the most popular as with full e85 you need to have the tuner adjust the fuel pump and stuff like that
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 05:47 PM   #4
Sloblk8
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruskSeeKShots View Post
Oh okay so you are saying that with the flex fuel kit I can pretty much run any ethanol percentage and the time will adjust for it? What fuel do you usually run as I heard e30 and e50 are the most popular as with full e85 you need to have the tuner adjust the fuel pump and stuff like that
I typically run the bm3 stage 1 multi map which is their flex fuel map and usually am on full e85. I actually haven't been running my custom e85 map as much just because of traction issues with factory tires. When I get tires here soon I'll run the custom map almost exclusively.

With the flex fuel sensor/kit you can put whatever you want in, 93 all the way up to e85 with no issues, it will adjust accordingly. Also another good byproduct of the flex fuel kit is you can check the ethanol level right there on the dash which is good if you're running a custom map being those don't have as much room for error.

In a nutshell all you need is the bm3 flex fuel kit since you already have the bm3 license. That and I'd do a step colder plugs. You might be alright without them but I'd just do them if it were me, easy and not really expensive overall. I believe it is recommended but some people don't and are fine.

Yeah man, nothing really special you have to do. Easy install too. Do it, you won't regret it!
Appreciate 1