EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-14-2023, 07:40 PM   #1
gerobak
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I have been driving e90 and f30 manual transmission cars for 10 years. I have been always wanting to get an M3.
I have been lurking around.
There is a local private seller (around 1 hour away) that has a very low mileage (below 20k) for 2018 M3. The spec is basically base which is perfect for me.
Service history looks good, they are all in BMW dealers.
Carfax history is also super clean. I am waiting for my friend who is a car guy to test drive it and making sure I am not doing anything stupid.

I plan to meet in BMW dealer to do the Pre Purchase Inspection and a test drive.
Is there any tips/advise how to make sure it's not odometer scam? Another (bigger) worriness is the current owner only owned it for 6 months. Is it normal in the M3 used car market to own it short term only? Is it a super big red flag?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 09:33 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerobak View Post
I have been driving e90 and f30 manual transmission cars for 10 years. I have been always wanting to get an M3.
I have been lurking around.
There is a local private seller (around 1 hour away) that has a very low mileage (below 20k) for 2018 M3. The spec is basically base which is perfect for me.
Service history looks good, they are all in BMW dealers.
Carfax history is also super clean. I am waiting for my friend who is a car guy to test drive it and making sure I am not doing anything stupid.

I plan to meet in BMW dealer to do the Pre Purchase Inspection and a test drive.
Is there any tips/advise how to make sure it's not odometer scam?

Thank you in advance.
Service records usually note the mileage of in and out. Sometimes dealerships put it on Carfax too that the vehicle got serviced and at what mileage. That is one way to confirm mileage wasn’t rolled back. You can also verify on BMW ConnectedDrive (assuming that person renewed it). It’s the app for your car.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:43 PM   #3
Blocke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

If you do a proper PPI, they should catch all the trouble spots. Common ones are leaking coolant resi and the charge cooler leaking. Also check tire age. If it was low miles, likely didn’t change the tires and they could be approaching their 5 year replacement window (assuming OE Michelin).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
gerobak
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Thank you for the tips so far!
Appreciate 0