BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Any success getting sunroof delete?

really irritating that they make you get a sunroof in the US. I never use it, and it reduces headroom. I forgot to raise the subject w/salesguy when we ordered today, but before I do, wondered if anyone else had success getting them to build it without? I don't care about saving $, I'd happily pay them not to put it in...

EDIT: just did a search and see many others complaining about the same thing. Assuming is the answer is NFW, can anyone tell me why not??? US crash test spec, assembly line setup, what??
      01-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Well, since the moonroof isn't standard in Europe or the UK, it's theoretically possible for BMW to build you one without a sunroof.

However, you're going to have a nearly impossible time finding a dealer willing to go to bat for you on something like this. They'll have to go outside the regular ordering system, make calls to factory, etc. Very few dealers want to be bothered with something so difficult when they can just as easily sell the same allocated vehicle to a customer who's perfectly happy with the standard features/options.

It's like getting cloth seats in a U.S.-spec BMW. Virtually all BMW dealers will tell you that it's impossible, but that's not technically true. If they're willing to pester the right people at the factory, they can get you a 3er with factory-installed cloth seats. Such cars are ultra-ultra-ultra rare (probably no more than a handful per year), but they do exist.

All I can recommend is that you call around to as many dealers as you can and tell them that you're willing to do whatever it takes to make the deal happen (e.g., paying over MSRP, pre-payment, etc.). Who knows? One of 'em might bite.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Faikius
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2 Comp / 16' Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
It's like getting cloth seats in a U.S.-spec BMW. Virtually all BMW dealers will tell you that it's impossible, but that's not technically true. If they're willing to pester the right people at the factory, they can get you a 3er with factory-installed cloth seats. Such cars are ultra-ultra-ultra rare (probably no more than a handful per year), but they do exist.
I've never seen cloth seats in a new 3 series for obvious reasons.

Anyone have pics?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I've never seen or heard of E9x's delivered in the US with cloth seats, but with some ingenuity and persistence, you were able to get them on the e46. I doubt there were more than a handful each year at most though (as Mike T said).

As for pics of cloth seats on the 1er coupe, go to the bmw.de configurator, and you can configure a car with them.

To stay on topic, I wonder if the differing structural rigidity of a solid roof panel with different bracing might make US NHTSA require additional application and crash worthiness testing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
pwong888
Private
Rep
Drives:

In Canada we have to pay 1500 for the sunroof, i just wonder if i want to add this option cause it look better but you prefer pay extra to delete.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Indeed, I believe the answer is "NFW" as this question has been asked here and on bimmerfest over and over and over and...well you get the idea. Nobody has been able to make it happen.

But while we are at it - what about A/C delete? Radio delete? Power windows delete? All these silly luxury items just distract from the real purpose of a car. :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

I tried. Dealer told me he would look into it, but said it does not look good for me. He didnt even ask me why I wanted it deleted he said are you looking to save weight. I laughed and said yes good guess. So far nothing and I unfortunately doubt very many, if any, getting it done without some talking time with multiple people happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post
In Canada we have to pay 1500 for the sunroof, i just wonder if i want to add this option cause it look better but you prefer pay extra to delete.
Yeah, I'm in Canada too so I was sort of on the fence about it especially with it being $1500. When I emailed my dealer with my order I actually didn't include it, he emailed me back simply saying "No sunroof?". I guess that was all it took and I ended up ordering it, I think you're right, it does look better, and your resale takes a hit if you don't have one. (And I use it a lot of course).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

The Gotland cars have them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faikius View Post
I've never seen cloth seats in a new 3 series for obvious reasons.

Anyone have pics?
If you look at some of the photos from reviews of test drives on Gotland, you will see cloth seats. In particular, you will see sedona red cars that have orange and black seats. These are cloth.

I've seen the cloth seats first hand. They are very nice. And, of course, they breath. But you would never want to have them in a damp or wintery climate and definitely not if you have a dog or an infant. So it was three strikes and they're out for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Sunroofs are great! What's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzS2 View Post
really irritating that they make you get a sunroof in the US. I never use it, and it reduces headroom. I forgot to raise the subject w/salesguy when we ordered today, but before I do, wondered if anyone else had success getting them to build it without? I don't care about saving $, I'd happily pay them not to put it in...

EDIT: just did a search and see many others complaining about the same thing. Assuming is the answer is NFW, can anyone tell me why not??? US crash test spec, assembly line setup, what??
Are you kidding me? Nothing like opening up the sunroof after the car has been parked in the sun for a while. The hot air goes right up and out. Cools off much faster. Plus, you can keep your car from heating up as much by parking it with the sunroof sightly open.

And on a cold, winter day, you can blast the heater at your feet while getting cool air on your face. Fantastic.

Also, you can often avoid using the AC in the summer and save gas because the hot air will rise up through the open sunroof but you don't get excessive noise and turbulence, even on the highway.

Incredibly useful additions to climate control.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzS2 View Post
really irritating that they make you get a sunroof in the US. I never use it, and it reduces headroom.

Thats speculation....!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #12
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Thats speculation....!
Well I suppose but I've owned a lot of Porsches, Audis and VWs over the years and in each case the sunroof comes at a cost of an inch or so of headroom.
I'm planning to track the car and with a helmet on headroom is at a premium.
      01-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Wouldnt this hurt your resale value??
      01-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #14
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Frankly, I doubt it. Since there's a small but not insignificant group of folks who actually don't want a moonroof, if someone were actually able get a 1er without it, their car's rarity might actually help it resale value.

In any case, resale value is sort of beside the point. When you're spending a lot of money on a car, you want what YOU want -- whether it's color, fabric, options, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #15
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Frankly, I doubt it. Since there's a small but not insignificant group of folks who actually don't want a moonroof, if someone were actually able get a 1er without it, their car's rarity might actually help it resale value.

In any case, resale value is sort of beside the point. When you're spending a lot of money on a car, you want what YOU want -- whether it's color, fabric, options, etc.
Features are features man...BMW obviously dosent agree with you. If I'm not mistaken all of their non-M vehicles come with sunroofs. If you were talking about a track-car then I would agree.
      01-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #16
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I know there was significant demand for used E36 M3s without a SR a couple years ago. People acted like they had found a diamond on the sidewalk when they managed to score one.
      01-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
I know there was significant demand for used E36 M3s without a SR a couple years ago. People acted like they had found a diamond on the sidewalk when they managed to score one.
I have a E36 M3 and a E46 M3 with no sunroof. And I'll probably never part them. both of them were bought that way for helmet clearance. the E46 also has cloth/leather seats. I tell you nothing is better than cloth heated seats in the winter. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
YES!!!

edit...

You may find it in the case of the M3 where some one is looking specificly for the delete version only and will pay more for it..
But thats like having the most ugly color in the world.. some one will pay more for it as there wont be many but as far as the avg consumer and most def a dealer.. it would be worth less.. same with heated seats in my part of the contry..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #19
mjovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast kiwi View Post
YES!!!

edit...

You may find it in the case of the M3 where some one is looking specificly for the delete version only and will pay more for it..
But thats like having the most ugly color in the world.. some one will pay more for it as there wont be many but as far as the avg consumer and most def a dealer.. it would be worth less.. same with heated seats in my part of the contry..
I actually think cars look worse with sunroofs. It makes them look like commuter cars, not performance vehicles. And yes this isn't an M-car, but it has near M-car power and driveability and it is definitely being marketed that way so say what you will. I can't believe people actually have the choice and decide to pay $1,500 for a sunroof!!! But to each his own. I think sunroofs on GTI's add roughly 45 lbs to the vehicle IIRC and at one of the worst possible places, at the absolute top of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #20
asng
Rep
Drives:

any update? can the 135i be ordered without sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #21
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Not in the U.S.
      03-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #22
Nice1
Captain
Rep