BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Twin turbo 4 rumor on autoblog.

Arrival 2010, if at all.

http://www.autoblog.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Yes, possibly in the 2010 135tii.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Can't see them doing a TT four cylinder. Twin scroll yes also the 11RPM sound like BS to me, thats sportbike range RPM.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

The tii revival gets into full swing with the next-generation models of the 1-series (due in late 2011), the 3-series (out in early 2012), the X3 (also in 2011), and the new X1 (coming in mid-2009). All four of those cars are slated to get tii versions that will have emphatically sporty appearances and exceptional dynamic abilities. The 1-series tii would feature a lighter unibody and use a direct-injected, 2.0-liter twin-turbo four-cylinder good for 300 hp. BMW is even evaluating unique, tii-specific body styles. The most intriguing is the so-called "sharknose" version-a special tii body style for the 3-series. It is almost retro in character, with thin roof pillars, a relatively upright windshield and rear window, and simple head- and taillights, as well as traditional "waterline" styling (which also can be found on the current 1-series coupe and cabriolet). Aslightly longer front end and a cab-backward greenhouse should also help create a quite different tii-only appearance.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

bring back the CSL Batmobile
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

11,000 RPM!!! hahaha, thats ridiculous. isn't the highest the first gen s2000?? 9,000 rpm?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
Disasterpiece
I Want 1
Rep
Drives:

11,000 RPM?!?lol
If they actually make that, ill be all over it. Going to 8k would be a normal thing lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The whole concept behind such a vehicle is BMW's award winning , highly successful "Efficient Dynamics" programme and logically this is the next step.
Having already produced several models from the 1er - 6er with best in class efficiency and emissions. And has left the competition playing catch up.

The upper models in the premium segment are next. already showcased with the X5 Vision and the X6 Active Hybrid and when the 7er is unveiled so will be two Vision 7er using Hybrid and Hydrogen technology .

The whole aim is for BMW's product range from the base 1er to the top of the range (for now) 7er model to showcase the best in class vehicles for emissions.

The next step is to take this and put it into a performance car something that will completely pull the rug out from everyone by being fast , individually dynamic and sporty and be characteristic under the "Efficient Dynamics" Banner . Although the current BMW products wear the "Efficient Dynamics" logo with pride it is the M-Division models that will become the pinnacle for BMW "Efficient Dynamics" programme.

The output war over increasing power just for marketability purpose is over. It's time to take a much more realistic approach to output using and developing technology that offers the same characteristics of such a higher powered vehicle but with a different direction and that includes turbo charging and forgoing basic construction techniques with new additions such as lightweight materials , for instance the new 7er shaves weight by using aluminium body panels . The 1er coupe is the perfect role model for this technology because it is very much a modern day equivalent of BMW tradition.

Throughout history there has always been a small performance BMW. Evolution has proved that size , safety performance etc always progresses but there is more admiration for taking a step back with something that would connect with BMW's reputation for dynamic and cutting edge driving machines whilst being possibly the most efficient small performance car on the planet. something that will offer a style , purpose and dynamics not expected from such a type of environmentally friendly automobile . ie no batteries required.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Endgame
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I think I now have reason to hold off my purchase for a few more years. I will have to keep my eye on this. Big power, fast in straight lines does not interest me (obviously as I drive a RX8 currently).

I do think BMW can deliver death blows if they deliver on this concept. Imagine a 2800-3000 pound 1 Tii with a 270HP TT4. Can you say TRACK TERROR!!! Unlike many other car companies, BMW is manning up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Scott26 - thanks for the update!!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
Baghutch
Rep
Drives:

Reading those kinds of Rumor stories are exactly what my dreams are made of. If BMW makes high performance 4 cylinders I will definitely buy one.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
Hypnoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Whats with the obession of four cylinders? I think they are getting ahead of themselves trying to cut down cylinder count and displacement with all this expensive high tech, less reliable gadgetry. I know I'll get flamed for this but a high displacement V8 can get wonderful MPG (ie corvette's), and have low-end torque and high hp. It's called weight and gearing. Twin turbo's for a four cylinder is not very realistic IMO.

They should stick to the smooth, effortless, and high potential inline-6 they are employing now. You get it all with this engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:40 AM   #13
Mike Roberts
Sideways just kicked in, yo!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnoz View Post
Whats with the obession of four cylinders?
Sadly the EU CO2 targets are killing big motors this side of the pond, so everyone's on the look out for high power/low emissions and that equals low displacement and big turbos.

Manufacturers have an 'overall' target of CO2, so some like BMW can offset the likes of Mcars by selling loads of small efficient diesels.. others are going to struggle. I know a few people who work at Bentley a few miles away from me and they’re having to completely change what they do, or they’re not going to survive – despite having the biggest profit margin and sales in years!

Ecomentalists are the devil!

M3 control arms, ARBs, bushes and some other stuff....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
Endgame
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnoz View Post
Whats with the obession of four cylinders? I think they are getting ahead of themselves trying to cut down cylinder count and displacement with all this expensive high tech, less reliable gadgetry. I know I'll get flamed for this but a high displacement V8 can get wonderful MPG (ie corvette's), and have low-end torque and high hp. It's called weight and gearing. Twin turbo's for a four cylinder is not very realistic IMO.

They should stick to the smooth, effortless, and high potential inline-6 they are employing now. You get it all with this engine.
In Scottsdale huh? Cool. No flames, valid question. As a car company with the current future looming, we all know where we will end up within the next 5 or 6 years. If BMW stays ahead of the curve, they will be able to capture a larger share of the market while other car companies, in theory, take losses due to having to product the technology BMW is investing in now.

Also, let’s not forget that turbocharging was done heavily in the 90's. It is not like BMW would be going from scratch, just improving on already existing packages. Nissan had turbo 4's in the 90's that were outstanding. The STI and Evo are outstanding. BMW also currently uses Mitsu turbos now I think.... This is oversimplified, but BMW would simply need to focus on engine strength, speed, and tuning.

I long for a lightweight single turbo 4; TT 4 , even better....
:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

11 000 is ok for the track but for street purpose I dont know. After driving high reving(b18, rsx-s,600cc bikes)on the street I got tired of it. I'd rather have a 4 banger that have gobs of torque low reving like VW 2.0T,1.8T or GM 2.0 ecotec turbo.
My dream 135ti would be strip it of all useless things. Loose 200 pounds. Give it a
-nice 2.0 Turbo engine with about 250 hp,7000 rpm redline(even use the diesel engines)
-One color only
-no leather
-135i brakes
-LSD
-same price as a 135i or little premium
-NO CAB Versions
-No options(so only hardcore enthusiast buy them)
-Possibility to buy a track version that is tuned(roll cage,no insulation) and stripped
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
energie
Private
Rep
Drives: honda civic

When SCOTT26 speaks, people listen!

Thanks Scott, very interesting read.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #17
MihaSLO
Private
Rep
Drives:

From very reliable source:
There are 1.6 and 2.0 Twin turbo engines in the work, as well as QUAD(!!!) turbo. More accurate; 2 turbo chargers, and another 2 after them. So, two big and two small turbos.

M division has high revving Biturbo I4 engine in works as well.

And there is a V12 BiTurbo in works as well, but I don't think it would made in 1er.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #18
energie
Private
Rep
Drives: honda civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihaSLO View Post
From very reliable source:
There are 1.6 and 2.0 Twin turbo engines in the work, as well as QUAD(!!!) turbo. More accurate; 2 turbo chargers, and another 2 after them. So, two big and two small turbos.

M division has high revving Biturbo I4 engine in works as well.

And there is a V12 BiTurbo in works as well, but I don't think it would made in 1er.
As far as automotive technology is concerned, we have an exciting times to look forward to.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i would trade in my 135i the day it came out

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
11 000 is ok for the track but for street purpose I dont know. After driving high reving(b18, rsx-s,600cc bikes)on the street I got tired of it. I'd rather have a 4 banger that have gobs of torque low reving like VW 2.0T,1.8T or GM 2.0 ecotec turbo.
My dream 135ti would be strip it of all useless things. Loose 200 pounds. Give it a
-nice 2.0 Turbo engine with about 250 hp,7000 rpm redline(even use the diesel engines)
-One color only
-no leather
-135i brakes
-LSD
-same price as a 135i or little premium
-NO CAB Versions
-No options(so only hardcore enthusiast buy them)
-Possibility to buy a track version that is tuned(roll cage,no insulation) and stripped
i agree completely. plus limited options should help them keep the price down. but the way BMW has implemented turbos on the N54 it doesnt seem that they are foregoing low end torque (although 11,000rpm certainly suggests so)

also interesting that the article suggested NA and twin turbo forms... and this is not the first mention of quad turbos on such small displacement engines. and to the doubters of a TT4cyl.. ever heard of a 123d?? worked wonders there.. cant imagine the possibilities in a petrol engine.. awesome.

honestly that's about when i think I will be looking for a car (probably around the second year of production, which is good, let em work out the kinks), and if youve read almost any other post i've made on this forum - this is why i'm here. also glad to hear the only other thing i would consider as competition is mentioned on autoblog right now as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoblog
At a press conference in Japan today, Toyota CEO Katsuaki Watanabe finally confirmed that his company is jointly developing a pair of rear-wheel-drive sports cars with Subaru. Each brand will get its own version of the car, which will be powered by one of Subaru's boxer engines, though the engine's displacement, power output and even number of cylinders is not yet known. We're also not sure if the Subaru version will feature the brand's trademark all-wheel-drive system either as an option or standard equipment, or whether Toyota might offer AWD as well in an homage to the Celica GT4 (we hope so!). The styling will most likely resemble the sketch that was published by Autocar yesterday, though we don't expect one car to be a rebadged version of the other. Mark your calendars for 2011, which is when the new sports cars are scheduled to arrive. They'll be riding on a brand new platform and be built in Japan at a new plant by Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. Toyota also confirmed rumors this morning that it will be buying up more of Fuji, raising its stake in the company from 8.7% to 16.5%.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
Redline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

11k rpm will likely not happen.

2.0 Twin turbo with 300hp.
That will likely happen.

I can't wait for it!

Will this be the so called M135i?
Sport Package
Active Steering
Manual Transmission

:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
i agree completely. plus limited options should help them keep the price down. but the way BMW has implemented turbos on the N54 it doesnt seem that they are foregoing low end torque (although 11,000rpm certainly suggests so)

also interesting that the article suggested NA and twin turbo forms... and this is not the first mention of quad turbos on such small displacement engines. and to the doubters of a TT4cyl.. ever heard of a 123d?? worked wonders there.. cant imagine the possibilities in a petrol engine.. awesome.

honestly that's about when i think I will be looking for a car (probably around the second year of production, which is good, let em work out the kinks), and if youve read almost any other post i've made on this forum - this is why i'm here. also glad to hear the only other thing i would consider as competition is mentioned on autoblog right now as well...
The day America will open up their minds youll see a bunch of cool cars coming. V8s and V6s are cool but when 5.00$ a gallon will be reality people like look elsewhere. Thats why Audi will can the v8 for the s4 and get to FI. That suby is good news maybe manufacturers will start importing sweet carsi.e Legacy diesel, 123D.Please Bmw please make a 123D for america.
Appreciate 0