BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

No apology from me - My rant manifesto

So, I live in an area where car enthusiasts are about as rare as beach front property in Arkansas. That being said the area of Arkansas I live in is very affluent for Arkansas (Wal-Mart, Tyson, Suppliers to Wal-Mart and the University of Arkansas) and people have nice cars. This area is without a doubt the biggest bunch of nice cars per capita without knowing or caring about cars that I have ever been too.

With that being said nobody really notices my car. The only time people have ever asked about my new car is in Fayetteville, where the college kids know what it is and ask things about it.

So – anytime, and I mean ANYTIME I am near any “nice car” known for performance in this area…I get a strong desire to drop them like a bag of dirt, (within as much of the law possible of course) stoplights, corners, basically wherever there car will be exploited. I have been waiting for a long time for the 1 to come to the US, and living in an area where nobody has a clue to appreciate what I do makes me want to rub my 1 all over there face at every chance I so desire.

To each his own of course, and I understand why people would not want the 1 series for a multitude of reasons. I love this car so far, and rubbing it in people’s faces whenever I choose has been a pretty fun thing for me in this sad car area.

Thanks for listening! I needed to have this rant. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
pinksnyper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Good post...but wheres the RANT ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
So, I live in an area where car enthusiasts are about as rare as beach front property in Arkansas. That being said the area of Arkansas I live in is very affluent for Arkansas (Wal-Mart, Tyson, Suppliers to Wal-Mart and the University of Arkansas) and people have nice cars. This area is without a doubt the biggest bunch of nice cars per capita without knowing or caring about cars that I have ever been too.

With that being said nobody really notices my car. The only time people have ever asked about my new car is in Fayetteville, where the college kids know what it is and ask things about it.

So – anytime, and I mean ANYTIME I am near any “nice car” known for performance in this area…I get a strong desire to drop them like a bag of dirt, (within as much of the law possible of course) stoplights, corners, basically wherever there car will be exploited. I have been waiting for a long time for the 1 to come to the US, and living in an area where nobody has a clue to appreciate what I do makes me want to rub my 1 all over there face at every chance I so desire.

To each his own of course, and I understand why people would not want the 1 series for a multitude of reasons. I love this car so far, and rubbing it in people’s faces whenever I choose has been a pretty fun thing for me in this sad car area.

Thanks for listening! I needed to have this rant. :smile:

flame suit on...

sounds pretty inmature to me...you need people to consistantly tell you what a great car you have?...maybe they are busy leading their own lives...

you have a beast of a car...enjoy it and stop worrying about others...

just my 0.02
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
flame suit on...

sounds pretty inmature to me...you need people to consistantly tell you what a great car you have?...maybe they are busy leading their own lives...

you have a beast of a car...enjoy it and stop worrying about others...

just my 0.02
Call it what you want...I call it living in a "large garden party filled with apes", I'm sorry, thats how Jeremy Clarkson describes most American people.

And thanks, I do enjoy the car. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
C_Topher
Señor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnyper View Post
Good post...but wheres the RANT ?
He gets no respect!

jraymond, Mr. Miyagi says "Oh, Daniel-san! You all wet behind ear! Respect come from inside you." and "Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything. "
      04-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I know all about people being cluless. I once beat a g35 coupe and at the next stoplight he asked if my miata was a bmw. damn he felt low when I told him it was just a miata.

on my mazdaspeed forum the largest thread is the "what has your MSM beaten" thread but somhow I think most the people here would not accept such a thread because apperantly once you can afford a bmw, racing from light to light once in a while is a cardnal sin. Don't expect this croud to support such actions. too bad if you ask me but without the tightwads driving slowly us crazy people would have higher insurance premiums

what is considered crazy in your late 20's is far removed from the insane things that 18 year olds do. so I imagine that its not inconsevable that 40 somthings would think the whole thing unthinkable
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
2fast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330

Just to play along, what are some of the "premium" cars you have ran against or beaten? My advise, take the car to a road course then you'll truly appreciate what these cars can do ,then you will have less need for others to show their appreciations/respect.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

jraymond, I know where you are coming from. Ottawa has nice cars (it is a fairly affluent city), but we're not SoCal or even Montreal or Toronto (Ottawa is flanked by these two major cities) when it comes to car-crazy people per capita.

That said, I'm not sure the 1-Series will be a car that the masses will drool over. Unlike a Cayman or even a TT, it's a sleeper. It's a car for an enthusiast to appreciate from behind the wheel. It's peformance in cognito.

For me, that's part of the attraction. Sure, I want a car that is premium and performance-oriented, and perhaps even recognized to be so, but I have no desire to attract attention or invite stoplight drag races.

Sometimes it's nice to have potential you can surprise people with, as opposed to it just being expected.
      04-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually View Post
Just to play along, what are some of the "premium" cars you have ran against or beaten? My advise, take the car to a road course then you'll truly appreciate what these cars can do ,then you will have less need for others to show their appreciations/respect.

Mostly BMW's and Benz and American models. Honestly, the opportunity here is few and far between. A lot of nice care makes are rare here since there is no dealer. Let me list for you what car makes do not have a dealer with 100 miles of my zip code in no particular order.

-Audi
-Jaguar
-Porsche
-Volvo
-Lexus
-Infiniti
-Saab

There are probably a few more but you get the idea, we have a Benz and BMW dealer on the high end and thats about it.

I probably should go to a road course. I am going to the Bondurant school for my birthday with my father and driving Z06's, so that should help me as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
jraymond, I know where you are coming from. Ottawa has nice cars (it is a fairly affluent city), but we're not SoCal or even Toronto when it comes to car-crazy people per capita.

That said, I'm not sure the 1-Series will be a car that the masses will drool over. Unlike a Cayman or even a TT, it's a sleeper. It's a car for an enthusiast to appreciate from behind the wheel. It's peformance in cognito.

For me, that's part of the attraction. Sure, I want a car that is premium and performance-oriented, and perhaps even recognized to be so, but I have no desire to attract attention or invite stoplight drag races.

Sometimes it's nice to have potential you can surprise people with, as opposed to it just being expected.

I completely agree. One of my largest attractions to the car is it is as you say "in cognito". I like most of us didn't want a car that the masses has or knows that much about.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
mergen
Upstart
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I'm leaving in about an hour to go ride around up in NW Arkansas for a few days. Going on a "post break-in period cruise" through the mountains.
I'll be on the lookout for your SGM 135i. Mine's Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
imported_Maurice
Not too sexy for his car.
Rep
Drives:

The most interest I got was from the guys at the local independent BMW garage I went to for my 1's first oil change. I'm not bothered by people not noticing my car. It's enough that
I (OK...and you guys) know how awsome the 1 is.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
jraymond, I know where you are coming from. Ottawa has nice cars (it is a fairly affluent city), but we're not SoCal or even Montreal or Toronto (Ottawa is flanked by these two major cities) when it comes to car-crazy people per capita.

well said...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I get the feeling you're one of those people who "races" other drivers, but the other driver isn't racing you.

Take it to the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywalmartcustomer View Post
I get the feeling you're one of those people who "races" other drivers, but the other driver isn't racing you.

Take it to the track.
Sorry, your wrong. In fact I rarely ever do.

In fact my favorite thing to do so far is have a driver behind me in a blingmobile (Escalade ect...) just sit and stare at my LED brakelights at a stoplight.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
So – anytime, and I mean ANYTIME I am near any “nice car” known for performance in this area…I get a strong desire to drop them like a bag of dirt, (within as much of the law possible of course) stoplights, corners, basically wherever there car will be exploited.
Perhaps I didn't understand your first post then.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
I know all about people being cluless. I once beat a g35 coupe and at the next stoplight he asked if my miata was a bmw. damn he felt low when I told him it was just a miata.

on my mazdaspeed forum the largest thread is the "what has your MSM beaten" thread but somhow I think most the people here would not accept such a thread because apperantly once you can afford a bmw, racing from light to light once in a while is a cardnal sin. Don't expect this croud to support such actions. too bad if you ask me but without the tightwads driving slowly us crazy people would have higher insurance premiums

what is considered crazy in your late 20's is far removed from the insane things that 18 year olds do. so I imagine that its not inconsevable that 40 somthings would think the whole thing unthinkable
I'm mid-40s and will be glad to show you how slow your car is (when I'm out on my bike). For some reason I've always been somewhat aggresive at times when driving/riding, but in a conservative non-life threatening way. Put me on a kart track though and the claws come out. All I need is a glimpse of daylight and I'm putting the nose in it.

I grew up owning and riding the fastest street bikes in the land starting in the late 70s. I learned at an early age that all cars are slow (at least non-supercars).
      04-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I learned at an early age that all cars are slow (at least non-supercars).
I ride too..Amen to that comment. As for noticing the car I bought it for the sleeper factor. If you need something flashier either sell your car or mod it a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I have a Z4 and it gets noticed. Daily I get the thumbs up or people speed by and all heads are looking to check it out. It is a different looking car. Where I park at work there is a Lotus Elise and a few times I have come out to my car and people are checking them out. When I had my 3 series it was just another car to the normal person.
I think the 1 series will be just a car to most people. There will be some that know what the car is about but not the average person. If I was getting a car to get the looks I would go for the M roadster. It comes close to the performance of the 135i and gets the looks so you get what you want in one package.
      04-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps I didn't understand your first post then.
Strong desire doesn't mean I do it often.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #21
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

Take it to the track.

HA! I love being that person thats not racing.
      04-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #22
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I do miss that feeling that your faster than every car within 100 miles on a sportbike. Unfourtunatly I became too affraid of death to keep riding. I rarly street race anymore unless it looks like it will be a good match and both of us are on the same page and reasonably responcable about it.

it would be nice to have a deffinative what has your 135i beat with what mods thread to keep all this in one place. that way there arn't new little threads popping up about how I beat this last night all over the place
Appreciate 0