BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
six-n-twins
Private
Rep
Drives:

Pre order 2009

I am getting ready to order my 135. I met with a dealer a couple of weeks ago and he told me that it was basically too late for 2008. He told me what I have read here about the yearly production shutdown, and that my car wouldn't be ready until probably October. He also said that production of 2009's wouldn't start until august or sept. (I honestly can't remember when exactly he said that production resumed) He also said that BMW wouldn't make them aware of changes to prices and options until late July at the earliest.

So, if I go to order my car, I really am not ordering a car. I am reserving one of the dealerships allotments, correct? So when the dealership has the details I could go back and actually place an order to BMW. The dealership wants $1000 to place an order. I really dont want to give the dealership the money to just sit for a couple extra months. (Taking the kids to Disney, so that $1000 would come in handy to buy lunch). But I am also reading rumors of the 2009's already being snatched up and a significant amount are already pre sold.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

i would try to do what i did. call around and find a car on the lot with low miles (mine had like 9) that is close to what you'd order. i've ordered a car before (my former corvette) and in my experience the wait is just not worth it. you could get your car now, instead of in october and just enjoy driving it. having done it both ways, i prefer this way. the wait was painful and unpleasant, for me. i am more flexible with my money and my options than I am with my time. others are different. and others still, enjoy the delayed gratification.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Waiting till October is crazy. You can see my timeline below, yes waiting sucks but its great to have a car you picked very single thing out on and its just the way you wanted it. The wait isn't too bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i submit to you exhibit A - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11691

see the frustration in those red smiles and realize i know what i'm talking about.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
try finding a car on the lot that is exactly what you want...i tried that and after that I ended up buying a 1er and waiting for mine....there is no way any dealer would of had my configuration
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
jnynetwk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Keep trying

It seems like the key is the dealership. You can find one that has a car just in production and see if you can get them to change it. I don't recall when the plant shutdown is exactly, but I found a local dealer just over a week ago that had 2 allocations about to go into production. They were able to completely reconfigure one of their 2 cars and mine went into production just on Monday. I'm not sure how late you can still change the options - others on this forum are a lot more knowledgeable than I am - but I'd call around.

Worse case, find a car that is on the boat close to what you're looking for and they can often swap or otherwise redirect one still on its way. When I was looking around, several dealers offered to do that for me. You don't get to choose exactly what you want, but they can look in their computer and search by options or color and you can often find one very close. I had guys searching by paint an/or leather color, etc.

One dealer liked my config and got one that was on the boat and it is in the showroom now. It isn't the paint I wanted but it is otherwise exactly like the one I have ordered, only it is here now. In hindsight, I almost wish that is what I did.
www.gwolcast.net
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 02:21 AM   #7
Slay0r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 E92 ///M,13 535i

i was blessed when i called my second local bmw dealer, i was about to order my 1 with one dealership, and i happen to call the other and they told me they had one on the showroom floor, the color, int. color, and sport pack. that i wanted

i really do feel lucky, b/c i was about to stand in that long line to have one built

but if u visit with a dealer, and give them what you want they can check the board to see whats being built, and they can attach your name to it...they may have one the way you want it further in the build process than u think
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #8
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
During the reservation period in 07, a $1K deposit was required, seemed pretty standard though some folks reserved with a bit less. You might be able to find a car locally with close to ideal options, compromise isn't all that bad. Plus, finding an already produced car will score you all the nifty first year production goodies as well.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
six-n-twins
Private
Rep
Drives:

thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
swiftss13
808 Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 135i /05 325i

I have mine reserved for an 09 build. I was told the same thing about people grabbing allocations already and I definately wanted to get exactly what I wanted. The wait doesnt bother me seeing as I am in Iraq. I also paid the $1000 deposit.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
Omega Man
Rep
Drives:

The deal really isn't done until you get out of finance. Does anyone see an advantage to tying yourself down now if you aren't getting it any faster?
The black and red andrenaline rush has finally made it home from Sebastian Olszewski and the group at Mike Smith Beaumont. Got it right before the big storm hit, as in 36 hours before. So lucky. Anyway, these folks are a great dealership to do business with.
Ordered June 2008
ED July 2008
Stateside delivery September 2008
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
sandy198423
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have already ordered mine however I think its good to order a 2009 model cause a feature by which u can send google maps to the gps system will be available in 2009 Models. I thinks thats a cool feature.... I miss that option on my 135i

Thanks

Kart
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
try finding a car on the lot that is exactly what you want...i tried that and after that I ended up buying a 1er and waiting for mine....there is no way any dealer would of had my configuration
i see from your sig you ordered a "strippy." For my last car, the g35, i also wanted a strippy. I found it on a dealer lot. of course and infiniti strippy comes with leather, power seats, heated seats, 5 disc mp3 changer and 19" forged wheels. Still, its possible if you look. For the bmw i wanted options, and i found one pretty darn close (the hardest option to locate being the stickshift). its a personal decision, but if you can be a little flexible it's better than the alternative (getting so tired of waiting you'd consider getting an evo, like the guy in the thread i posted above).

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
It all depends on how particular you are and how soon you want your 1. I wouldn't worry about the $1000 deposit. That pales in comparison to the overall cost and the final result - did you get what you wanted?
      06-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
Garris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 330I, Topaz Blue

I had a similar situation just today...

I checked with my dealer, and they have no 135 coupe allocation and absolutely nothing on the horizon (or on the lot). They said they can't guarantee me a custom '08 at all and I might need to wait for '09. Also, they said no deals at all except mats since, "The car is just soooo hot right now."

Here is my question for everyone:
How do I find out what models or allocations other dealers have so my dealer can look into an allocation swap? Can my dealers look up this information? If so, how?

Also, they seemed to imply there might be no more 135 coupe allocations for ANYONE for the 08 model year. Is this possible?

PS: Test drove the 135 converible back to back with a 335i. Both great cars, but no comparison. The 335i is an amazing GT, while the 135 is a caged animal waiting to break free...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #16
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Yes, my CA said several weeks ago that the 08 production run was filling up. It's very possible that the book is now closed and all 08s are spoken for. That's not to say that there aren't a bunch of dealer cars in production or transit. I would think that a CA can look into what is on order by other dealers, but I don't think they have much incentive since that dealer is going to want you to come there. Try the "Ask a Dealer" thread if no one here helps you.
      06-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

I need to wait til october....... its like shipping october fest to me just that itll be tagged with BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #18
nas130
Rep
Drives:

The BMW dealer in newport had a few 1's on the lot, you might want to call them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garris View Post
I had a similar situation just today...

I checked with my dealer, and they have no 135 coupe allocation and absolutely nothing on the horizon (or on the lot). They said they can't guarantee me a custom '08 at all and I might need to wait for '09. Also, they said no deals at all except mats since, "The car is just soooo hot right now."

Here is my question for everyone:
How do I find out what models or allocations other dealers have so my dealer can look into an allocation swap? Can my dealers look up this information? If so, how?

Also, they seemed to imply there might be no more 135 coupe allocations for ANYONE for the 08 model year. Is this possible?

PS: Test drove the 135 converible back to back with a 335i. Both great cars, but no comparison. The 335i is an amazing GT, while the 135 is a caged animal waiting to break free...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #19
mywifestolemy1
Private
Rep
Drives:

I initially wanted to order a 135 to my specs....

...but the dealer convinced me it was a long wait and offered me a deal on a cashmere silver 135 vert I couldn't refuse. It had some things I didn't want, and missing things I wanted. But to tell the truth, I don't miss anything and am glad I ended up with things I thought I didn't want....I'm even thrilled I got the cashmere silver instead of the black I intended to order. Most importantly, I'm glad I ended up with the convertible. In short, sometimes you never really know what you want until you get it.

I thought maybe the dealer was BSing me when he worked on me to buy the CS vert, but so far nothing has shown up on the lot that would support this conspiracy theory... and besides, I get to drive my brand new convertible all summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i would try to do what i did. call around and find a car on the lot with low miles (mine had like 9) that is close to what you'd order. i've ordered a car before (my former corvette) and in my experience the wait is just not worth it. you could get your car now, instead of in october and just enjoy driving it. having done it both ways, i prefer this way. the wait was painful and unpleasant, for me. i am more flexible with my money and my options than I am with my time. others are different. and others still, enjoy the delayed gratification.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
djbaiza
Private
Rep
Drives:

could you have deposited more and get the car sooner...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #21
Steve135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

If you want a black 135i with an automatic there are several hundred sitting on dealers lots now. Go to Cars.com and checkout the huge list.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #22
djbaiza
Private
Rep
Drives:

so as far as i have read, the deposit to order a car is 1,000. say if i put down 4,000 do you think they would give me a better deal...jw
Appreciate 0