BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
PermaPlate protection sounds great, but is it?

I discovered that you can have your car sealed and protected by PermaPlate for a few hundred (IIRC, $300) before picking up your new BMW. It's a special chemical coating of several layers which is designed to offer the same level of protection as clear bras.

It protects against:
- UV rays and paint fading and loss of gloss
- the effects of road salt and salt air
- the penetration of bird droppings, tree sap, water spotting, acid rain, and industrial fallout

The permaplate deal also includes protection to the interior and windshield. Interior is protected against stains, fading, and premature aging. The windshield is protected against chips and cracks by road debris, and the windshield will be replaced if damage is irreparable.

There is a 7 year warranty which covers repair and restoration at no cost if the permaplate fails to perform and there is damage. Warranty is fully transferable. It's a one-time application and supposedly lasts without the need for re-application.

PermaPlate only requires an occasional washing, but eliminates the need for polishing, waxing, or sealing because it appears to be "built-in" and maintains the new shiny car look automatically.

Sounds too good to be true?

P.S. It seems to claim that detailing repeatedly over time eventually wears out the clearcoat. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

What the is it exactly? I rather have clear bra to protect my exterior.

I thought 2009 bmw has the new interior material that makes it more resistant to UV and fading.
      06-29-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
Does sound to good to be true. Why aren't more people doing this then? Unless, I haven't really looked into it and they are, if this a good product and does actually produce gains and shows no physical attributes, I'd love to do this.
It's invisible, and unlike a clear bra, there are no seams, edges, borders, and no tangible thickness. It apparently makes the surface very soft, smooth, and slippery, repelling dirt and dust like oil on water.

I'm surprised there has been no mention of this anywhere in here.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
SCSedona1
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM 135i

Sounds like another name for 5 Star Shine.

It is MINE!!! YAY!!! :thumbup::roundel::headbang:

1er's....the REAL zoom, zoom!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Nothing but a proprietary set of surface treatments plus some specific after-market ($$$) insurance packages, from what I can see.

www.permaplate.com/index.php?categoryid=3

Googling this produces some disappointed customers' stories, and their comments also point out that - as always - the product's performance & customer's satisfaction is determined in part by the applier. One local BMW dealer has a labor rate of $95/hr for a mechanic; the 'wash & wax' guy probably makes $10/hr and s/he's the likely employee applying these after-market surface treatments.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
^ It sounds like money is better spent on a clear bra with a reputable installer.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
thurst0509
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'll preface this by saying I don't know anything about PermaPlate. But when I hear it described, my BS detector goes off big time. Let's put it this way:

If there were really something this cheap that could substantially improve the life of the vehicle's paint, don't you think BMW would apply it to all their cars?

Honestly this product sounds to me like nothing more than an overpriced wax job with an insurance policy attached to it. Just like any number of scotchguard "fabric protection" plans sold by furniture stores, etc... And they're almost never worth what they charge for them.
      06-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Seems pretty gimmicky. Just ask for some testimonials & contacts of previous customers. Check it out yourself.