BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Please help me get through this...

So heres the story... I was looking for a car as a college graduation present to myself since I worked and saved throughout high school and college and I had the dough. I placed my order in May and the dealer told me I was lined up and ready for June production. Whooppie..... However the story turns sour when they told me production in June was stopped til July and July rows around and today I get a dreaded call from my CA saying that the allotment for 135 to their dealership is full they had 128 slots left though. Now I have to wait til August production and see IF I can even get in with priority from the dealership.

I mean seriously.. I paid my deposit of 1000 in June and I have nothing... Not even a friendly business card. I'm not saying that my dealership is bad or anything, I'm having a moment of mixed emotions right now.. It was all set for me to have my car for september when I start working. Now the car will turn out to be a graduation/birthday/possibility, but hopefully not christmas present for myself..... Now I've read a few horror stories about people getting their cars after a long wait with flaws. I getting freakishly worried and I feel anxious/frustrated. I don't even know if I will get a 08 or a 09 now... if I get it as an 08 the resale value will be low due to it being a year old already without me having to drive the car........ SIGH

I've even held out on a new Benz C class and a IS250 for this.... If I hold out til the end of all this I WILL MAKE SWEET SWEET LOVE to the car when I see it on the dealership lot. I swear with pics. Well, probably no pics.. BUT if people want me to then...

Anyone know how I feel? Will the Germans deliver October fest in a form of a car to me? Or will I have to agonize more? Pray for me people.... Just pray.............:sad/fail/not-so-epic/why:

John
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
The allocations back-orders are all over currently. After hearing a few stories, I went to Sales Dept and asked what allocations we had. There is 1 for July and that's it. The rest are in August and September.. Wait it out, it'll be worth it in the end!
      07-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Did they assign you a production number? A note that says this is your production number?

If it is as you described, not even a business card, then you are in for a long ride. This is one thing that i dont enjoy with dealerships - lack of integrity, not all! Some will be good some are just sleazzzy man!!! Things hadn't change for these dealers or peeps. If not for the advancement of information technology, they will still operate that way, the sleazy way...the car dealers way. Thanks to forums like this...we have evolved and the information is lightning quick, a case in point...pricing, today, the dealers could only operate at a certain price range and are being forced to adjust on a micro-supply and demand structure...geez..pardon my rants but there is a lesson learnt in here. The reality is that, the deposit is worth nothing because it does not promise a guarantee...of a car to your liking at a span of time. The dealership can actually move the handing over of your car because there is no purchase contract. The deposit is pure trickery. I know how you feel and the germans will not deliver your car...heck they will even take a vacation on August 1-15.

If you want the 135 at 2008, it is time to take some action.Your dealer is just giving you a shaft....LOL...to make you get the 128. Give them some Bruce's moves man. Look for other dealers that have July allotments or thin lined Aug. (tough luck). Lock it in, you say you got the goods, make the PO (Purchase Order), pay the bastards. But if you are happy with 128, so be it...and just hope...

I was on a slightly similar case the way you described, did you know that I was able to find my production number not through my CA? The bastards just changed it without my knowledge...it was good that i am an addict.. i kept monitoring my production week...suddenly,pooof my number is owned by somebody else!!! Hah! they probably gave it to a fellow that offerred them more money!!! Yikes!! that is the solution, robbed somebody else's car because the dealership see it both ways...the 1K does not hold on water, there is no deal until the PO is signed. Warning... to fellow addicts, you might be robbing somebody else's ordered car beware!! All these because of a bad system by the dealerships... and to folks on order...how secure is yours? There is a thread on here that talked about the deposit...maybe our fellow 1 addicts- lawyers (I saw some) could help. Hasta la vista baby..till next.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

just find one close to what you want on some dealer's lot. save yourself some time and headache. it will all be a wash, moneywise, in the longrun.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
ucbsupafly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1013 View Post
So heres the story... I was looking for a car as a college graduation present to myself since I worked and saved throughout high school and college and I had the dough. I placed my order in May and the dealer told me I was lined up and ready for June production. Whooppie..... However the story turns sour when they told me production in June was stopped til July and July rows around and today I get a dreaded call from my CA saying that the allotment for 135 to their dealership is full they had 128 slots left though. Now I have to wait til August production and see IF I can even get in with priority from the dealership.

I mean seriously.. I paid my deposit of 1000 in June and I have nothing... Not even a friendly business card. I'm not saying that my dealership is bad or anything, I'm having a moment of mixed emotions right now.. It was all set for me to have my car for september when I start working. Now the car will turn out to be a graduation/birthday/possibility, but hopefully not christmas present for myself..... Now I've read a few horror stories about people getting their cars after a long wait with flaws. I getting freakishly worried and I feel anxious/frustrated. I don't even know if I will get a 08 or a 09 now... if I get it as an 08 the resale value will be low due to it being a year old already without me having to drive the car........ SIGH

I've even held out on a new Benz C class and a IS250 for this.... If I hold out til the end of all this I WILL MAKE SWEET SWEET LOVE to the car when I see it on the dealership lot. I swear with pics. Well, probably no pics.. BUT if people want me to then...

Anyone know how I feel? Will the Germans deliver October fest in a form of a car to me? Or will I have to agonize more? Pray for me people.... Just pray.............:sad/fail/not-so-epic/why:

John
1) Congrats on graduating and saving up enough to buy yourself a nice car.

2) Chill out, don't get all depressed. After all, it's just a car.

3) Your dealership took your deposit without securing you a corresponding allocation. It is, in my opinion, a very poor business practice, but given the limited number of 1 series allocations, they probably have no choice. At this point, you might want to call all the dealerships within your reach to see if they have any unclaimed July allocations.

4) Factory shuts down in August so I don't think there are any August built cars. If you are able to find an allocation, it'll probably be a September-built 2009 car, which isn't a bad idea, if you believe that car from first model year are more problem-prone.

5) If you are lucky enough to get into an '08, enjoy the car and don't worry about the depreciation. In the long run, the special feeling of owning a true "year one of the 1" will cancel out any potential effects depreciation.

6) Be patient, good things come to those who wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
The allocations back-orders are all over currently. After hearing a few stories, I went to Sales Dept and asked what allocations we had. There is 1 for July and that's it. The rest are in August and September.. Wait it out, it'll be worth it in the end!
Thanks for the "inside scoop" dan, I was hoping to do business with you earlier with parts, but the car is so far away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4One View Post
Did they assign you a production number? A note that says this is your production number?

If it is as you described, not even a business card, then you are in for a long ride. This is one thing that i dont enjoy with dealerships - lack of integrity, not all! Some will be good some are just sleazzzy man!!! Things hadn't change for these dealers or peeps.
Well thats the thing. I'm not trying to blame the dealer, maybe its just my luck. I know they are good to deal with because all my family's BMWs have been from them in the past. In fact last time I ordered a 325i from them I got my production number and paid the deposit a week later. I guess its my bad luck this time and just because the 1 is just so hot. But your story is eye opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
just find one close to what you want on some dealer's lot. save yourself some time and headache. it will all be a wash, moneywise, in the longrun.
I was thinking about that but all the dealers around my place can't give me the price I got...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbsupafly View Post
1) Congrats on graduating and saving up enough to buy yourself a nice car.

2) Chill out, don't get all depressed. After all, it's just a car.

3) Your dealership took your deposit without securing you a corresponding allocation. It is, in my opinion, a very poor business practice, but given the limited number of 1 series allocations, they probably have no choice. At this point, you might want to call all the dealerships within your reach to see if they have any unclaimed July allocations.

4) Factory shuts down in August so I don't think there are any August built cars. If you are able to find an allocation, it'll probably be a September-built 2009 car, which isn't a bad idea, if you believe that car from first model year are more problem-prone.

5) If you are lucky enough to get into an '08, enjoy the car and don't worry about the depreciation. In the long run, the special feeling of owning a true "year one of the 1" will cancel out any potential effects depreciation.

6) Be patient, good things come to those who wait.
Thanks for the encouragement. So it now seems like I will be in my car around thanksgiving or xmas.... what a bummer, an empty garage for my birthday in october.... My birthday was the going to be the next best thing after graduation. I turn 21 :\ Now it looks like I'll be getting an early christmas present? I need to stop jinxing myself... the bad news keeps coming and more stories are posted hourly of people picking up their cars... Not so fun for me.. I WILL MAKE SWEET SWEET LOVE to the car when I see it on the dealership lot. I guess.
Appreciate 0