BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
mkvigli
Add1ct
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4

Question Is something wrong?

My sister ordered her 128i on June 3 at a local BMW dealership. She is out of the country now, and asked me to track her car to keep updated on where it is.

On June 19, I still never received a production number, or anything for that matter from the dealership. I called and received a production number, and registered it on the BMW website.

It is now July 14, and the website still shows me a 2005 330i. The 800 number tells me a week has not been assigned.

Is this normal? My sister was hoping the car would be here by the time she got home from Austria in early August. The dealership told us the car would arrive in 6-8 weeks... and seeing that it has already been 5.5 weeks and nothing has been updated, I'm losing hope. What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they have stopped production temporarily to get ready for the changes in the upcoming 2009 1-series.

Best thing to do would be to talk to her Sales Associate directly.
      07-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

the reason you see a 2005 330 is because BMW reuses their production number and the website has not been updated that that production number is for a 2008.

Happened to me aswell. When i got closer to production, the website finally updated its self with the right car.

You sister will never see her car by early August. Best case scenario is September
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
ucbsupafly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Sorry to break the bad news to you. But if you haven't already guessed, you sister will be disappointed in August when she finds out the car is not here. The factory shuts down at the end of July to retool for MY2009. If the car has not been scheduled for production by now, chances are it won't be built as a 2008. The best she could hope for is a September production 2009 128i with a delivery date in the late October/early Novermber time frame.

It's time to press the sales associate to inquire up his chain of command.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
oneaabe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they have stopped production temporarily to get ready for the changes in the upcoming 2009 1-series.
Where did you get this info from?
I have a week 29 build. My car is currently in production . Picking it up in Munich on 31st July :roundel:
Timeline: Ordered (got prod. #): April 12 '08; Scheduled for production: July 10 '08; DoB: July 18 '08; ED Pickup: 1st Aug '08; ED Dropoff: 4th Aug '08; Arrived at Port Hueneme: 5th Oct '08; At VPC: 10th Oct '08; Pickup at local dealer: 14th Oct'08;
Current Status:
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaabe View Post
Where did you get this info from?
I have a week 29 build. My car is currently in production . Picking it up in Munich on 31st July :roundel:
I just thought this was always the time BMW gets their plant ready to start producing new model year cars. Nevertheless something must've happened for the OP not to get his/her car on production in time...
      07-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Terin, IMO you are trying to self-medicate. Your sister bought a high-end car from what is supposed to be a customer-focused high-end dealership. You are trying to do her CA's work when, instead, they should be working for you (her). I'd suggest you lay it out for your sister's CA: "You have had oodles of time to place the order. Please provide an estimated delivery date, the model year car she will be receiving, and confirm the allocation # you are assigning to her order."

Jack
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Dinan Sedona 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc22 View Post
the reason you see a 2005 330 is because BMW reuses their production number and the website has not been updated that that production number is for a 2008.

Happened to me aswell. When i got closer to production, the website finally updated its self with the right car.

You sister will never see her car by early August. Best case scenario is September
Correct. The information for mine didn't update until a day or two after the car went into production. Best bet is to call the 800# and talk to a rep. They should be able to tell you what production week you are. Then add anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks from that date (~1 week to get on a boat, ~2 weeks on the sea, ~1-3 weeks to get to your dealer after "preparation") to actually get the car.

My guess is, unless you're scheduled to be put into production this week, you probably won't see it until mid-late August or early September. That's assuming they haven't stopped production on MY2008 cars, which seems to be the rumor now. If that's the case, don't expect your sister's car, which would be a MY2009, to be put into production until at least late August or September, with an October delivery date likely. In either case, you'll need to speak to a BMWNA rep or your CA to know exactly what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

I just thought..

Quote:
I just thought this was always the time BMW gets their plant ready to start producing new model year cars. Nevertheless something must've happened for the OP not to get his/her car on production in time...
I just thought.... this was always the time not to give false information... when you are not sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I just thought this was always the time BMW gets their plant ready to start producing new model year cars. ...
BMW has always closed their factories during August, when most of Europe have their holidays. They re-tool and do maintenance, production starts up after the long weekend in Sept.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 02:33 AM   #11
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4One View Post
I just thought.... this was always the time not to give false information... when you are not sure.
Sorry man. If you really can't handle it, don't surf online forums. You won't always be protected from false information in the big scary place called the Internet. That's why I said "correct me if I'm wrong" in my first post and advised the OP to talk to the salesperson directly. They would have the most knowledge regarding personal orders.

Let us know how it works out terin5124.
      07-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

I can take it

Quote:
Sorry man. If you really can't handle it, don't surf online forums. You won't always be protected from false information in the big scary place called the Internet. That's why I said "correct me if I'm wrong" in my first post and advised the OP to talk to the salesperson directly. They would have the most knowledge regarding personal orders.

Let us know how it works out terin5124.
Dude, i can take it, and yes you are wrong and i am correcting it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #13
mkvigli
Add1ct
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your responses. I suppose that in the long run, it will probably be a good thing to get the newer model year.

Honestly, though, I couldn't agree more with Jack:

"You are trying to do her CA's work when, instead, they should be working for you (her). I'd suggest you lay it out for your sister's CA: "You have had oodles of time to place the order. Please provide an estimated delivery date, the model year car she will be receiving, and confirm the allocation # you are assigning to her order."

It's really disappointing that we even had to call for the production number. It's also disappointing that the car was ordered so long ago and nothing was done... Looks like the dealership will be getting a call tomorrow. If I knew it wouldn't "move her position in line" to receive her car, I'd be tempted to sway her to change dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
mkvigli
Add1ct
United_States
Rep

wow, wow, wow, wow!

Called in to the BMW NA 800 number today and asked to speak to a CSR for a change, as opposed to the automated system.

Turns out the car was shipped on the 15th! :thumbup:

The CSR said he has no idea why the production number hasn't updated on the automated line or online. Now, who cares, the car is on the way! Now the dealership is getting a ring. :]
Appreciate 0