BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Talking Found the car of my dreams just 60 miles away AND got the greatest price!

So, I finally found the certain car of my dreams. I canceled my 09 order since I am not getting iDrive, and I see no point. The best part is... it's an extra 1000 dollars discount compared to the discount on my 09 order! Total discount is $2,500 off MSRP (about $800 above invoice I think)! I literally cycled through about 5 dealers from Maryland, Pennsylvania, NJ, and Massachusetts, 3 of which had the EXACT same car, and kept getting the price lowered :wink:.

Granted, this new car has a sports package which I originally did not want, but after trying the ZSP seats and actually learning how to adjust the side bolsters, I conclude that I am indeed not too wide to fit comfortably in them Plus, the steering wheel feels great! I now see why everyone was raving about the sports pack! So due to the extra $1000 off, I pretty much got the sport package for 100 bucks! Also knocked an extra hundred off by getting just heated seats instead of the whole cold weather package, so that's a free ZSP! The car also has BSM over my original order's JB, but after reading posts on this forum about JB I was ready to change it to the metallic anyway. No time for constant washes for me anyway.

On top of this, another dealer (that had nothing at all I wanted in stock and they were states away, so they had nothing to lose) clued me in that once we hit August 1st, there will be factory incentives on all BMW models (though the dealers apparently don't know what exactly they will be yet). So I started the buying process, but casually won't finalize it until the 1st, when hopefully prices drop for an even bigger discount! Put the $500 bucks from my Park Ave BMW 09 order down. (PS- Soupy, you're now the #1 order from Park Ave! Enjoy, man! :wink

The only thing is I'll have to install Sirius myself somehow, or go back to the dealer for it at some point, but for now this won't matter. I listen to my Ipod anyway, the Sirius is for my Top 20 on 20 / Flight 26 loving girlfriend (Yes those are XM stations but that's what was in my old car).

For about 600 dollars more (the price of metallic paint alone) than I would have originally paid I got a sport package and metallic paint! :thumbup:

Plus... no excruciating wait! Well, now I have to wait until August 1st, but that's better than months!

I hope some other people here will be able to take advantage of great dealer prices going on right now, and hopefully greater discounts come august. They can really save you a lot! Though if you're planning on iDrive, wait for 09. If the Nav system was on my list of options, I would have definitely waited.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Nice ride, congrats.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
ucbsupafly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Please elaborate on the statement about August incentives on all BMW models. What exact did the other dealer say? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbsupafly View Post
Please elaborate on the statement about August incentives on all BMW models. What exact did the other dealer say? Thanks in advance.
I PMed this to ONE before, but here's the deal (apparently)

I don't know if the dealer I talked to was full of crap, but I didn't see any reason for them to be since they were all the way in virginia and they didn't have the car I wanted anyway.

They just explained that starting in August (when the factory closes and it's officially no more 08 models), like with many car brands, it'll be the end of the model year and the sales will come up. Most car brands have model year end sales anyway, and I think it's just one of those. I know they're offering 0.9% financing on everything BUT the one series (and possibly Z) right now, but apparently when August strolls around, the dealerships will be authorized to discount cars even more because the factory will be giving out incentives, but they can't give any extra discounts like this until the first day of august.

How I found out was that originally when trying to lower the price, my argument was that it's almost the end of the model year anyway so why not lower the price when there's a brand new 09 model around the corner. This is when I was informed that they'll be losing money after a certain point, but if I wait til august, they have rebates and incentives that will allow them to sell for cheaper.

This happens every year apparently, and varies from year to year, and on top of that the dealerships either don't know what the discounts will be, or they do know and just have been sworn to secrecy..

Again, I don't know if this is complete baloney. I don't see any reason for it to be since the Virginia dealership must have realized I wouldn't be buying from them anyway, unless they were truly honest (yeah right), or thought I'd somehow drive all the way there (yeah right, again). They said this in response to me asking if I could get other dealerships to go lower. My take is that it's a regular end of the model year sale, as all car makes do, but the specifics are just under wraps until august, so that is why I am waiting until the 1st to finalize buying the car.

Any dealers here to help on the situation?

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

shouldn't this be in the ordering and pricing forum? :wink:

And thanks for the #1 spot dude :thumbup:, my $500 deposit is in and I plan on ordering exactly what's in my sig...except iDrive is still a maybe. I would totally jump on an 08 deal myself if they had any Alpine White/Coral's on the lot without too many options. A local dealer found one with everything i wanted plus prem package and ipod, but I wasn't going to get big savings from it as it would've needed to be shipped over. Plus I refused to pay more money for options I knew I did not want at all, regardless of what kind of discount I was to get (unless they were willing to start taking a loss and go below invoice). I also see tons of JB or BSM + coral + auto coupes in dealer inventories, including at a local dealer of mine. I'd be driving one soon like you are had I wanted a black car too :smile:.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
shouldn't this be in the ordering and pricing forum? :wink:

And thanks for the #1 spot dude :thumbup:, my $500 deposit is in and I plan on ordering exactly what's in my sig...except iDrive is still a maybe. I would totally jump on an 08 deal myself if they had any Alpine White/Coral's on the lot without too many options. A local dealer found one with everything i wanted plus prem package and ipod, but I wasn't going to get big savings from it as it would've needed to be shipped over. Plus I refused to pay more money for options I knew I did not want at all, regardless of what kind of discount I was to get. I also see tons of JB or BSM + coral + auto coupes in dealer inventories, including at a local dealer of mine. I'd be driving one soon like you are if I wanted a black car too :smile:.
I'm not sure where this post belongs. I mean technically it's not ordering because it's on a lot. And I guess it goes in with pricing because I'm talking about discounts, but it's sort of like a story too, not a specific question or statement about pricing, so I don't know if that's appropriate for the pricing/ordering section. Not to mention me blabbering about how happy I am (i see "i'm so happy" and "i found my car!" posts tending to be in the general section) Sorry, Mods I don't mean to make your lives miserable!

The auto tranny makes it a piece of cake to find something good on a lot. I originally went into the dealership and we looked up every single manual tranny jet black car on the east coast... and came up with 4 total! For the entire east coast! I have a feeling JB/BSM with coral will be popular in general, as will arctic white with coral. No SGM any more though, even though I think it looks great with coral. I think it's rare to see such nice looking red leather seats in this price range, which is why the coral red leather seems to be so popular.

You should definitely get what you want! I know I originally didn't want the sports package, mostly because I didn't see an advantage to the seats and it was just an extra cost, but if I'm getting sweet seats and a great steering wheel for free by ordering an 08, count me in! Shouldn't have to pay extra just to get it earlier with crap you don't want or need, unless there's a really good reason, like I found.

I'm kinda sorry I'm not part of the Park Ave family in a way, but considering I wasn't part of it before anyway (like I've mentioned somewhere before my whole family buys from the Prestige family a bit up Rt 17), it's not that big a deal.

Enjoy your number one spot! And knowing that you'll be one of the first 09 models! :thumbup:

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

All I can say is to be careful with the delaying process - if you delay, and the dealer has a chance to sell to someone else (even for a little less money than "your" deal), they might.

It's happened to a few friends of mine - in the middle of a non-rushed negotiation, they found out the car had been sold to somebody else who committed on the spot.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
All I can say is to be careful with the delaying process - if you delay, and the dealer has a chance to sell to someone else (even for a little less money than "your" deal), they might.

It's happened to a few friends of mine - in the middle of a non-rushed negotiation, they found out the car had been sold to somebody else who committed on the spot.
That is true, thank you for the info. But they don't even have the car in yet so I'm not worried that much for now, though I will be careful. I already put down $500 though, because they wanted to make sure I was committed, doesn't that make them commit also to selling it to me?

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Interesting to know what august 1st incentives gonna be and if 1er is included..
.90% for 5 years for nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #10
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
Interesting to know what august 1st incentives gonna be and if 1er is included..
.90% for 5 years for nice.
its .9% apr for everything but 1's and z4's. all z models get 1.9% while theres nothing special for 1's :-(. thats why i'm hoping for discounts and incentives that apply to the 1 come august. hopefully that dealer wasn't full of it!

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #11
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

If these august incentives and discounts are going to be true, you might find me pull out of my order and jump into a BSM/SGM + Coral 08 car as well!

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I already put down $500 though, because they wanted to make sure I was committed, doesn't that make them commit also to selling it to me?
Not really - all they have to do is hand you your check back... You only have a 2-way commitment if there is a signed purchase order with a specified price and VIN.

But I wish you good luck, it sounds like one hell of a deal. :headbang:

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Good tip speedbike, there is a possibility of it. but your tip will only be useful for speculators like me (day traders, option and short guys) ..hmm let see what happens, i will be signing papers come Aug. Anyways..no matter what deals or no deals, i have put a benchmark on my price and interest so it only gets better.
      07-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
That is true, thank you for the info. But they don't even have the car in yet so I'm not worried that much for now, though I will be careful. I already put down $500 though, because they wanted to make sure I was committed, doesn't that make them commit also to selling it to me?
As we found out with Russel BMW in MD, at least THAT dealership doesn't think holding your hard earned cash means anything to them. They will sell a car out from under you before even giving you your deposit back first, and without even giving you any warning.

Even worse, BMW doesn't care what their dealerships do to their customers. They don't think it is any of their business.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6007

I noticed you mentioned MD. Hopefully you aren't dealing with Russel BMW in MD...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
As we found out with Russel BMW in MD, at least THAT dealership doesn't think holding your hard earned cash means anything to them. They will sell a car out from under you before even giving you your deposit back first, and without even giving you any warning.

Even worse, BMW doesn't care what their dealerships do to their customers. They don't think it is any of their business.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6007

I noticed you mentioned MD. Hopefully you aren't dealing with Russel BMW in MD...
no not russel, though i did see them on a search. i was dealing with i forget what the name was in silver spring md. but my final purchasing place is in edison nj, much closer than the rest to me. they're getting the car shipped over from wherever they dug it up from.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #16
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not really - all they have to do is hand you your check back... You only have a 2-way commitment if there is a signed purchase order with a specified price and VIN.

But I wish you good luck, it sounds like one hell of a deal. :headbang:
this was all done over the phone, but they faxed over a few papers, one requestng a deposit to secure the vehicle, and a couple more which were much more official looking that seemed like a contract. the dealer wrote on it detailing the exact colors, trims, options, and prices. the prices were tallied up, the discount was factored in, then it added taxes and other fees and gave one big fnal, and exact price. it also asked about yearly income and for a social security number, closest relative not living with you, etc. don't remeber if it has a VIN and im away in DC now and the papers at home. i faxed it back.. could that be the binding paperwork?

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this was all done over the phone, but they faxed over a few papers, one requestng a deposit to secure the vehicle, and a couple more which were much more official looking that seemed like a contract. the dealer wrote on it detailing the exact colors, trims, options, and prices. the prices were tallied up, the discount was factored in, then it added taxes and other fees and gave one big fnal, and exact price. it also asked about yearly income and for a social security number, closest relative not living with you, etc. don't remeber if it has a VIN and im away in DC now and the papers at home. i faxed it back.. could that be the binding paperwork?
Yep, that's the one! I think you are all set... :headbang:

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that's the one! I think you are all set... :headbang:
awesome! thanks for the advice and info! i really appreciate it

Appreciate 0