BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Question Question for a BMW Tech???

Hello all you BMW tech's. I know we have a couple of very knowledgeable tech's on the forum who work at dealerships, and I'd like to thank you all for the information that you've contributed to the community.

I was wondering how you all would feel if a 135 came in for service with an oil catch can and NO modifications other than that? Would this cause a warranty issues for me? Is this something that I would have to remove before going in for service?

Thanks in advance for the advice guys, I really appreciate your insight!!!
      12-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict...Nah Im A Junkie! View Post
Hello all you BMW tech's. I know we have a couple of very knowledgeable tech's on the forum who work at dealerships, and I'd like to thank you all for the information that you've contributed to the community.

I was wondering how you all would feel if a 135 came in for service with an oil catch can and NO modifications other than that? Would this cause a warranty issues for me? Is this something that I would have to remove before going in for service?

Thanks in advance for the advice guys, I really appreciate your insight!!!
im not a tech but, if you mod your engine and give bmw any reason to void the warranty on your engine components they they will take it and run with it. They are extremely anal about tunes and mods right now. MY suggestion would seriously conserider just taking it off. Better to be safe than voided.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
imdanomite
likes boobies ( o )( o )
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

i work at a dealership and in all honesty, it really depends on the managers and how well they treat their customers.

oil catch can will not cause any sort of engine damage, but dealerships are known to blame any sort of aftermarket part. if you're that paranoid about it, just take it out before you go. that's the only input i can give you at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Would I be correct to say that dealerships won't blame the mods unless there are problems or do they just deem your car warranty voided even when there are mods but no problems?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

If the catch can is causing the problem you're having, then that obviously would not be warrantied. If it's not causing the problem, then no worries. Where is this "land far far away" that you speak of?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
If the catch can is causing the problem you're having, then that obviously would not be warrantied. If it's not causing the problem, then no worries. Where is this "land far far away" that you speak of?
not to thread jack but socaltech can you check this thread maybe you can help me out http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20731
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Also not to thread jack, but have you guys noticed a huge amount of oil blowby? I've noticed MAYBE 1/8thqt of oil loss in 5kmi...

I've got more oil consumption in my g35 coupe.
Appreciate 0