BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Road trip to Vancouver

Hey hiya,

My girlfriend and I are considering a little road trip up the California & Oregon coastline, up to Vancouver. I used to live there back in the 90's, and have always wanted to go there with my girl. It's been since '98 that I have been there, I bet the town has changed drastically.

We were hoping to get some input as to what we should check out and see while we are there. Any cool restaurants we have to try? Are the Caesar's @ Earl's still spicy n' good? Any weekly BMW meets? We would love some good ideas for book shops, coffee shops, eclectic wacky places we gotta see. We are spontaneous, and open to most things, so please throw out there whatever ideas come to mind. Much appreciated.

We hope to go hit up the Aquarium (I used to volunteer there), Vancouver Island for a day, and Whistler for a day. That's about it...

As far as fun roads, I know the sea to sky hwy, the road to Cypress Mountain, and the road to Seymour Mountain, but not much else. Any other fun roads you can recommend? Again, much appreciated.

-Jason
      04-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

You are going to be shocked at the changes to the sea to sky highway. Major widening has happened! It is 4 lanes (2 each direction) with a nice wide median from Squamish almost all the way to the village. Some serious speeding occurs in that stretch now as does lots of radar traps. I recommend doing a night at Whistler and use the Whistler officail website to book it. They have last minte deals (Miguels picks) where you get a discription of a place (5 star in the village/1 bedroom etc) and they have it at a cheap price. Then after you purchase it (and pay) then you find out which hotel it is at (they email you the info). You can get a room at one of the nice hotel's for around $100. Lots of good dinning and pubs up there. It is nice to do some sight seeing and some fine dinning...then you take a nice walk back to your hotel. No worries about drinking and driving when everything is nice and close. Hopefully you have nice weather (beautiful here this week...21C and sun) and a good trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Thanks for the info. Great to hear that highway has been widened. We have friends with a place at whistler, so we'll be all set to stay there.