BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Triple DDD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: pick 'em up truck

Problems with tunes?

Who has tunes and who has had problems with them? I ask because I'm ordering my 135 this fall and the idea sounds pretty great in conjunction with a BT scanner. I am concerned a little bit about the drivability and reliability issues that may accompany something like a JB3 or Dinan Flash. It would be great if you all could list

1. which tune
2. how many miles running it
3. problems experienced (if any)

Obviously, I'm also curious to know how many have run a tune for many miles with no problems at all. I know that there are other threads running around that are related, but it would be nice to see data on all of the tunes in one place.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Wow this is a huge set of questions. Your best info will come from searching e90. (N54 has been in 335i longer)

Brief answer: 9000 miles. SSTT & JB3 with no issues (BT monitored)

The majority of issues that you will read about revolve around a tune plus other modifications like DP/catless exhaust/intercoolers.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

jb3 10000 miles with bt scanner. zero issues and drivability is outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Jb3... 13000 miles now on odometer and no problems.. had a hpfp failure a cpl months ago and removed jb3 before bringing it in for service...

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Triple DDD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. Certainly valuable information. It seems to me that if we could get more people on this wagon and have all the problems or lack thereof in one place, we could get a really good idea of the negative side effects, if any, that a tune may have on the systems of our vehicles
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

*** What I am about to say is only speculation and a bit of entertainment ***

I really don't think there is a drawback or negative to the popular tunes out there on the market. I have been on this board following developments since summer 2007. In that time I have never seen any negatives directly and definitively related to a tune.

As others say, the N54 is a very robust engine and is very detuned from BMW. Why is this? Because their ///M buddies were going down the path of Naturally aspirated engine development while the regular ol' simpletons at BMW engine development created the monster of the N54 turbo.

Now when this hit the board room in Munich it went something like this:

M boys - "Wow...have we got a great new motor for you. Here is our 400+hp M3 V8."

BMW Board - "As usual great work guys...I am sure it will be a hit. Now BMW engine group, what have you developed for the regular 3 series, 1 series, and 5 series?"

BMW engine boys - "Oh, nothing special. Just this little engine that could. Pulls cover off platform and unveils the N54. It is a 6 cylinder direct injection twin turbo capable of over 450 hp while still achieving ~27mpg highway."

M boys - Jaw drops, feeling like they lost the big dick contest for the first time ever, as they start to put the veil back on their motor in shame.

BMW Board - Some coughs and exchanged glances. "Hmmmm, well excellent work boys....however remember you are second fiddle to M. So...please do something to decrease your HP and then we can look at your developments"

BMW engine boys - Frustrated thinking they would win the teacher's praise only to get kicked down again, they go back home and detune the N54 so as to let M Boys think they still have the biggest dick. All the while knowing that a simple tune and this engine becomes the beast it was engineered to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Triple DDD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Completely awesome post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post

I really don't think there is a drawback or negative to the popular tunes out there on the market. I have been on this board following developments since summer 2007. In that time I have never seen any negatives directly and definitively related to a tune.

As others say, the N54 is a very robust engine and is very detuned from BMW. Why is this? Because their ///M buddies were going down the path of Naturally aspirated engine development while the regular ol' simpletons at BMW engine development created the monster of the N54 turbo.

M boys - "Wow...have we got a great new motor for you. Here is our 400+hp M3 V8."

BMW Board - "As usual great work guys...I am sure it will be a hit. Now BMW engine group, what have you developed for the regular 3 series, 1 series, and 5 series?"

BMW engine boys - "Oh, nothing special. Just this little engine that could. Pulls cover off platform and unveils the N54. It is a 6 cylinder direct injection twin turbo capable of over 450 hp while still achieving ~27mpg highway."

M boys - Jaw drops, feeling like they lost the big dick contest for the first time ever, as they start to put the veil back on their motor in shame.

BMW Board - Some coughs and exchanged glances. "Hmmmm, well excellent work boys....however remember you are second fiddle to M. So...please do something to decrease your HP and then we can look at your developments"

BMW engine boys - Frustrated thinking they would win the teacher's praise only to get kicked down again, they go back home and detune the N54 so as to let M Boys think they still have the biggest dick. All the while knowing that a simple tune and this engine becomes the beast it was engineered to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
1lvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i JB+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple DDD View Post
Who has tunes and who has had problems with them? I ask because I'm ordering my 135 this fall and the idea sounds pretty great in conjunction with a BT scanner. I am concerned a little bit about the drivability and reliability issues that may accompany something like a JB3 or Dinan Flash. It would be great if you all could list

1. which tune

Obviously, I'm also curious to know how many have run a tune for many miles with no problems at all. I know that there are other threads running around that are related, but it would be nice to see data on all of the tunes in one place.
1. which tune
JB+@100%
Shortly after installing the tune the back tires melted away to nothing but its all good I was wanting to get rid of the runflats anyway.
      06-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post